Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Either this is A WILD coincidence, or my EZ Pass transponder isn't working in the Mach-e. I drove to the dealer in my old car, EZ pass worked. Traded that on the the Mach-e and EZ pass didn't work on the way home. I had to run up to the dealer the next day and it didn't work. I even put it on a different part of the windshield on the way home.

I still need to try it with a different vehicle, but has anyone used EZ Pass yet?
Sponsored

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Either this is A WILD coincidence, or my EZ Pass transponder isn't working in the Mach-e. I drove to the dealer in my old car, EZ pass worked. Traded that on the the Mach-e and EZ pass didn't work on the way home. I had to run up to the dealer the next day and it didn't work. I even put it on a different part of the windshield on the way home.

I still need to try it with a different vehicle, but has anyone used EZ Pass yet?
No car yet, but this concerns me. Old style, bulky square EZ Pass or newer, smaller one? Not sure if they are using stickers yet......

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Are you sure it didn't work? Some readers match a license plate to the transponder. Also, I don't think EZ-Pass is allowed to show whether it worked or not AT the toll booth. They want everyone to keep on driving without slowing down. At least in PA, that's the case.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
We have a sticker for our toll systems here. I drove to get mine and the tolls on the way show up, and the tolls on the way back are not there. I wonder if the coating on the windshield is blocking the signal.

I know our systems require a special transponder for a Tesla because it won't work through their windshields.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No car yet, but this concerns me. Old style, bulky square EZ Pass or newer, smaller one? Not sure if they are using stickers yet......
It's the newer, smaller one. Maybe 5 years old?

I handed it to the attendant with the ticket I had to take and she paid it with the transponder number, so my account is still valid.

This is crazy.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you sure it didn't work? Some readers match a license plate to the transponder. Also, I don't think EZ-Pass is allowed to show whether it worked or not AT the toll booth. They want everyone to keep on driving without slowing down. At least in PA, that's the case.
I actually transferred the plates from the old car to the Mach-e. These turnpike booths still have the bar that comes down so I couldn't go through it until I paid.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have a sticker for our toll systems here. I drove to get mine and the tolls on the way show up, and the tolls on the way back are not there. I wonder if the coating on the windshield is blocking the signal.

I know our systems require a special transponder for a Tesla because it won't work through their windshields.
Oh wow... That may be it

Reactions: UW2

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
wouldn't you think Ford should be informing folks that some of the toll tags may not work? I am sure they would have to test if the windshield coating causes interference etc.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Until recently, the NY EZ Pass system gave a green light if tag recognized or a yellow with "call EZ Pass" message as you went through the booth (20mph for unattended lanes, 5mph for attended booths). No match of plate to transpaonder AFAIK. I would have told you PA had the same light system based on my limited experience there, guess I was wrong.
Anyway, now all booths (at least on the NYS Thruway system) are being removed and all tolling is by plate or by EZPass, both at highway speeds. Not sure about NYC area bridges.

JSOrange97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Country flag

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Until recently, the NY EZ Pass system gave a green light if tag recognized or a yellow with "call EZ Pass" message as you went through the booth (20mph for unattended lanes, 5mph for attended booths). No match of plate to transpaonder AFAIK. I would have told you PA had the same light system based on my limited experience there, guess I was wrong.
Anyway, now all booths (at least on the NYS Thruway system) are being removed and all tolling is by plate or by EZPass, both at highway speeds. Not sure about NYC area bridges.
It's exactly the same in PA. Now they're not allowed to show that green light because people would slam on the brakes if they didn't get it. They'd rather you kept moving, and they'll just bill you later.

As for the license plate, they have it on record but I think you're right, it's just as a backup in case it can't read your transponder.

OP might have better luck at those booths by simply driving through the express lane and letting them bill his account if the plate is on file.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
wouldn't you think Ford should be informing folks that some of the toll tags may not work? I am sure they would have to test if the windshield coating causes interference etc.
Good one, most likely the windshield, one should try waving it out the window as a test.

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
According to the dealer training manual I found online, the front windshield on the Premiums, CA 1, and GT have an IR reflective film on them. I guess that’s why the transponders won’t work.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How did you end up getting through? Hold the pass out the window? :)
The trip back after getting the Mach-e, I entered behind another car so I possibly could have snuck in behind him.

Getting off in the ez pass only lane, the gate wouldn't go up. I stuck it out the window and nothing. Someone finally came over and took the transponder and entered the number.

So yeah... You'd think me sticking it out the window would have worked if it's a glass obstruction. I was thinking maybe the car was interfering with the transponder electronically somehow?
Sponsored