Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Hi i just installed my Ford charger that came with my Mache GT PE. I hooked it 220 volts but to 20 amp 220 volt breaker. I plugged the charger in and it lights it up.
But i did not plug into the car with the worry it would draw more amps and blow the breaker. Does anyone know if the charger can sense the breaker size and draw accordingly. 40 amp siemens breakers are tough to find at the moment. Please tech types pipe in.
Hoping to source a 40 amp breaker soon.

Mike from Surrey, BC
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Right. You need a 40 50amp breaker. See page 2.

Attachments

Last edited:

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Hi i just installed my Ford charger that came with my Mache GT PE. I hooked it 220 volts but to 20 amp 220 volt breaker. I plugged the charger in and it lights it up.
But i did not plug into the car with the worry it would draw more amps and blow the breaker. Does anyone know if the charger can sense the breaker size and draw accordingly. 40 amp siemens breakers are tough to find at the moment. Please tech types pipe in.
Hoping to source a 40 amp breaker soon.

Mike from Surrey, BC
The Ford Mobile charger with the 14-50 pigtail should be on a 50A breaker. You need to check the wire gauge between the panel and the outlet. Can't just swap into a larger breaker as the wire was probably spec'd to 20A originally.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Ford Mobile charger with the 14-50 pigtail should be on a 50A breaker. You need to check the wire gauge between the panel and the outlet. Can't just swap into a larger breaker as the wire was probably spec'd to 20A originally.
40A circuit is ok for the 32A EVSE. But yep, hopefully he means finding a 40A or 50A breaker AND running new wiring for a brand new circuit. (Ideally 6 guage , although 8 works for not too long of a run.)

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
40A circuit is ok for the 32A EVSE. But yep, hopefully he means finding a 40A or 50A breaker AND running new wiring for a brand new circuit. (Ideally 6 guage , although 8 works for not too long of a run.)
Yes, but....... if you swap to a different EVSE on that 14-50 outlet, that device will likely try and pull a full 40A from it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, but....... if you swap to a different EVSE on that 14-50 outlet, that device will likely try and pull a full 40A from it.
You mean if you later buy a 40A charger to plug into that outlet instead? Of course. Future-proofing in a whole nother issue.

Same if you later buy a 48A charger that needs a hardwired 60A circuit.

But if he's just looking to get the 32A charger working, he needs a 40A (or higher).

OP
OP

Lexy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the information. I did run 4 conductor number 8, and the run was about 35', so all I need to do is swap out the breaker for a 40 AMP one. Glad I didn't plug it in ! And good news I finally found a Siemens Breaker at one of the wholesalers ! Will get this Level 2 thing up and running soon !

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I have my on a 40amp breaker, is that not right? I know the install material says 50 amps, but the Ford Mobile Charger can only draw a max of 32amps, doesn't that mean if you try and plug in an EV that tries to pull more, the charger itself won't let it because it maxes at 32amps?

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have my on a 40amp breaker, is that not right? I know the install material says 50 amps, but the Ford Mobile Charger can only draw a max of 32amps, doesn't that mean if you try and plug in an EV that tries to pull more, the charger itself won't let it because it maxes at 32amps?
40A is fine according to code, even for a 14-50 outlet. I labeled mine with a label maker under the outlet to say “40A Breaker” and that made the inspector happy. I agree it’s not perfect but it is allowed, and fine if you are using the mobile charger that came w the car.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, but somebody could plug in a more powerful EVSE to that outlet. It won’t be unsafe, but could trip the breaker.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yes, but somebody could plug in a more powerful EVSE to that outlet. It won’t be unsafe, but could trip the breaker.
Oh, duh, EVSE means a different charger. Ok, I won't have that problem and will make sure I label the plug as well, since the breaker is already labeled, it if we ever move in case they fail and don't check the breaker powering the outlet. Thanks so much!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
True, a 14-50 outlet is valid for a 40A or 50A circuit so anyone planning to plug in a 40A device shouldn't just assume it's a 50A breaker. For anything that stout, one should ALWAYS check the breaker first to be sure.

It's a bit like how a regular 5-15 120V outlet can be on a 15A or 20A circuit. If plugging in something that's gonna come close to maxing out the power, it's a good idea to check the breaker and see how much you have to work with.

Labeling the outlet "40A" helps make that easier. But I'd still check the breaker first to be sure.
Sponsored