B177y

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CR1, 2021 Highlander V6, 2001 F-350 V10
Country flag
Just got my MME last week and it obviously came with the ford mobile charger. I’ve been using it and it seems fine with no bells or whistles.

I purchased a juicebox 40 from Costco for $399 (after $100 off). Haven’t opened yet.

Do I stick with the Ford Mobile Charger for home charging?

Use the Juicebox and put the Ford Mobile Charger in my trunk for road beads?

Or look at other home options?

Note: I have a Nema 14-50 outlet so not looking for hardwired options.

Thanks in advance!
I purchased the same Juicebox from Costco last year. It's been super reliable for me.

The app is clunky, but I just use it as a "dumb" charger and do all of the time of day settings and charge limits through the car menu or Ford pass app. I do have the JB connected to my WiFi and use the app so see the charging curve when I'm interested. I also use the JB app to adjust the amperage. I'll usually run it at 32 amps but I'll bump it to the full 40 when needed.

Connecting it to my WiFi was a PITA, and I had to use their alternate "laptop browser" method (instructions available in the help section of the JB website). I couldn't get the unit to connect to my WiFi using the app.
Sponsored

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been using the Ford Mobile Charger (EVSE) exclusively since Aug '21, except for an occasional public DCFC on a road trip. I probably need to top up to 90% around 4-5 times a month based on my accumulated mileage. Only once did it display any kind of fault which was quickly reset by power cycling the unit (simply unplugging and re-plugging).

It is connected to a NEMA 14-50 in my integral garage which I'd give a range of temperatures in the moderate realm through out the year. I am completely satisfied with this device and have no advanced requirements of it other than to deliver the power to the vehicle when I need it. I considered a more capable unit at the start, but am content with my decision to go this route after almost three years. If it failed I'd likely acquire another one or similar dumb EVSE as I have no need for additional features or functionality as I rely on the built in charging features of the MME.
#SatisfiedCustomer

OP
OP
Aahhcc11

Aahhcc11

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Nite Pony
if you just need the home charger to provide reliable charging without any other features the juicebox will work fine. the "smart" features of other chargers on the market can range from just giving you visibility into what the charger is doing to active charge management with solar integration and integration into a home automation system.

the $399 you got for the juicebox combined with the discount gets you down into the range of a very good dumb EVSE so it would seem you're in good shape with it.

giving recommendations without knowing more about what you want beyond basic charging is stabbing in the dark.
I appreciate this view...

I am looking for fast charging (have a 40A circuit), scheduling, and visibility into my charging costs based on my utility rates. That way I understand total cost of ownership

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
I appreciate this view...

I am looking for fast charging (have a 40A circuit), scheduling, and visibility into my charging costs based on my utility rates. That way I understand total cost of ownership
for scheduling, it is recommended to use the in-car charging schedule and fordpass to do minor overrides like charging to 100% just before leaving on a trip. if you need more complicated scheduling to constrain times for time of use pricing you'll want to play with the app to see if it meets your needs.

the juicebox app was a bit annoying when i had one but it did give you the charging history over time so you could track kWh's used. just apply your utility per kWh rate to that and you'll have your charging cost.

i currently have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus (40A) that gives me all of that information and i can also integrate it into my home automation system for easy data collection and monitoring for charge issues. the app works great for my needs and has a lot of functionality beyond. i don't need to worry about ToU charges so my charging strategy is simply overnight when plugged in and triggered by the in-car schedule.

main suggestion - don't overcomplicate this.

rbertonieresr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E
I just bought my MME 2 weeks ago and Ford set me a code to use to order their 48 amp charger at no charge. It lists for $799. I received it, have it mounted and I’m just waiting for the electrician to run a circuit to it. Based on the price (free), I’ll give it a try.

OP
OP
Aahhcc11

Aahhcc11

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Nite Pony
I just bought my MME 2 weeks ago and Ford set me a code to use to order their 48 amp charger at no charge. It lists for $799. I received it, have it mounted and I’m just waiting for the electrician to run a circuit to it. Based on the price (free), I’ll give it a try.
how do I get me one of those codes? I bought my MME 1 week ago. Would love some inside baseball.

rbertonieresr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E
My dealer called me and verified my email address to set it up. Check with your dealer.
it might be an incentive here in the south because public charging stations are few and far between.

OP
OP
Aahhcc11

Aahhcc11

First Name
Y
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Nite Pony
My dealer called me and verified my email address to set it up. Check with your dealer.
it might be an incentive here in the south because public charging stations are few and far between.
What is the name of the charger they sent to you?

Opa

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Happily retired 😊
Country flag
What do you use?
we have had our MME since last November. We have a rather unique situation at least to us 😊
We are retired and live in an apartment complex because I don’t want to do any maintenance at all except in my personal garden😂😂

We have talked to the apartment complex about installing a level two charger; cost prohibitive (@ 2K), but they are going to install some DCFCs outside of the gated community.

Still inconvenient

so, we live on the ground floor and what I did was snake a extension cord from a 110 outlet on our patio to a covered container where we keep our Ford portable charger.

when I need to charge at the apartment. I just plug it in. It’s level one, but hey, it’s overnight.🙏

we are providing childcare for our daughter and son-in-law and they have a house about 2 miles away from our apartment. We have installed and Autel 50A charger on the outside of their house, so when we go over in the mornings, we usually top off there.

I never leave home without a portable charger, and it was becoming a PITA to unplug wrap it up and put the charger in the frunk. I did some research, and wound up buying the EVgoer portable charger from EVgo. So far so good, but I would certainly like other comments on whether the EVgo is the best portable charger you can have for your MME.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I bought my not smart 32A EVSE waaaayyyy back when my Fusion Energi was new. It was either $700 or $799 (can’t remember and don’t care any more since it was nearly 10 years ago). I would just say to get an EVSE from a company with a good history, make sure that the unit has IL or CSA safety certification, and enjoy. 😊🐩

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is great, so what is a good "dumb" EVSE?
A lot of us have the Grizzl-E. Built solid, heavy cable, and cheaper than most. Made in Canada, not China. UL certified. Good company. I have the Classic, which is only $349 now. Can set the power level to 16A, 24A, 32A, or 40A, but gotta open it up and set the dip switches to do it. Easy though. I set mine at 24A to fit my usage pattern best. Been using it for 3+ years on my Mach-E with zero problem. It just works.

https://grizzl-e.com/ (also available on Amazon)

0CO2

First Name
0CO2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Occupation
Academic
Country flag
I used the Ford mobile charger from Jan '21 to March '24 as my daily charger, with a few faults easily fixed by unplugging and replugging in the NEMA cord until the charger died a couple of weeks ago.

We replaced it with a free mobile charger that came with my wife's Chevy bolt. It looks like the same device with different packaging...

We've had a hardwired 48A Juicebox working flawlessly since 2017, and for the third EV charger at our house (we're all in with EVs - the 3rd charger is mounted on the external garage wall, the other two are inside the garage) yesterday we installed the 50-A max ChargePoint flex hardwired into a 70-A circuit, which I chose because of the substantial instant rebate from our electric coop, following another one of these I installed at my in-law's house.

I am impressed with the ChargePoint flex and its integration into the ChargePoint app that I also use on roadtrips for DCFC, like at the terrific 500 kW charger I found in Shasta City, California. Yes, these now exist, so Tesla Superchargers don't get all the glory.

Sooo... like others I advise not relying on the mobile charger as your only option and I even encourage cutting off the NEMA plug and hardwiring if possible.

For instance, 50-A and 240 V provides 12 kW, a good match with a little headroom for the (theoretical) 11 kW internal AC charging limit of the Mach-e.