First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Crappy photography, but here you go - with an installation warning.
This is great, thank you.

I was expecting an upper limit of 45C (no bueno) or 50 (bien). But 60C is muy bien. More than sufficient for our hot summers.

I love the caveat that OCPP has only been tested against Ford's OCPP back-end. CYA.
Sponsored

poweryogagirl

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Edition
Country flag
The app is "Ford Charge Station Setup"

IMG_1650.PNG

As the name implies, it is only used to do the setup. It will prompt you to link to the charger via Bluetooth (just so your phone can talk to it) and from there it will prompt you through getting onto your WiFi network, entering the access code of the charger, and ultimately it will launch the Ford Pass app and automatically add the charger to it.

From there on out you only need the Ford Pass app (unless you want to reconfigure the charger ... e.g. change WiFi networks, etc.) but you wont use the setup app to use the charger.
Has anyone had a problem connecting via bluetooth to this app? I've been trying for more than a week and it won't connect. Ford can't seem to figure out who to transfer me to for help.

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Has anyone had a problem connecting via bluetooth to this app? I've been trying for more than a week and it won't connect. Ford can't seem to figure out who to transfer me to for help.
Mine failed to connect on the first try ... but did connect on the 2nd try.

It takes the station a couple of minutes to be ready to pair. If you are still having issues then I'd suggest rebooting your phone. From time to time ... I'll have bluetooth connectivity issues where either shutting off the bluetooth radio for a minute and then re-enabling it ... or just rebooting the phone ... will resolve the bluetooth issue.

jnsgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Raptor; 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Has anyone figured this out yet? I've rebooted my phone and power cycled the station (turning on/off the breaker). I cannot get bluetooth to connect. The app did pick up other bluetooth signals so my guess is that the station is not broadcasting a bluetooth signal.

poweryogagirl

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Edition
Country flag
Has anyone figured this out yet? I've rebooted my phone and power cycled the station (turning on/off the breaker). I cannot get bluetooth to connect. The app did pick up other bluetooth signals so my guess is that the station is not broadcasting a bluetooth signal.
I've also tried and still cannot connect.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Has anyone been able to configure WiFi on this? The Bluetooth connection is flaky, but it will sometimes connect. However when I select a WiFi network and enter the network key (password) I always get “trouble connecting”. I’ve tried with both 2.4GHz networks and 5 GHz networks (and I have two different networks on each frequency - I’ve tried both). I also tried setting my phone as a hotspot (directly next to the charge station). No luck. I always get:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station installation - DIY instructions writeup EBE864C7-EA6F-4D82-9A98-5A2C4E9A0525

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now that I've done the install once (it took 3 hours), I could install one much faster. Note that part of my "install" was carpentry work to trim out the wall panel where I planned to install it.

You will need:

A Torx T6 bit screwdriver (very tiny) for the clamps that hold the charging cable in place.

A Torx T25 bit screwdriver for all the Torx screws that hold the weather cover (not the cosmetic cover) in place. That cover is held on with just 3 screws when you pull it out of the box ... but the rest of the screws are in a bag. When you put the cover back on you'll use all of them.

Most people probably already have the rest of the tools (tape measure, pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrench, etc.) I've bolded the Torx sizes because it's less common for someone to just have those on-hand ... pick 'em up if you don't own them.

But it really is as basic as:

1. Shut off the supply power at the breaker to make sure nothing is live during the install.

2. Decide how you want to route the supply power to the EVSE (either up through the bottom or in from the back). You'll need to cut out one of the bottom tabs if coming up from the bottom. You'll need to drill out one of the access ports on the back if bringing power in from the back.

3. Mount the metal mounting bracket.

4. Insert the charging cord through that spring whip (a bit of a fuss because the wires like to get caught on the spring), connect to the lugs and tighten. It is easiest to do this when the charger is NOT yet mounted on the wall. There's a clamp that holds the charging cord in place and that clamp takes a very tiny Torx 6 (T6) screwdriver. It's easiest to do this with the charger laying down on a table rather than hanging on the wall.

5. Mount the charger on the mounting bracket. Two screws lock it onto the mount.

6. Route the 240v supply power in and tighten the lugs.

7. Set the DIP switches. D5 must be set to '0' (off). D1 through D4 can be set based on the amperage limits. If using the full 48 amps then D1 is set to '1' (on) and the position of D2, D3, and D4 don't actually matter. If using less than 48 amps (D1 is '0' / off) then D2, D3, and D4 *do* matter and the table tells you what to set.

EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTE: There is some confusion over the DIP switch settings. The labels indicating the 1 vs. 0 on the green board are correct. The labeling on the red DIP switch block is incorrect.

In the photo below, the DIP switches are correctly configured to allow for 48 amp charging (circuit breaker should be 60 amp to use this setting.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station installation - DIY instructions writeup EBE864C7-EA6F-4D82-9A98-5A2C4E9A0525

8. The front panel LED lights connect to a wire harness ... that wire is currently taped to the inside of the cover. Remove the tape and plug in the wire harness (figure 12 in the front of the manual shows the location). The plug is keyed so it can only be plugged in one way.)

9. Do a final inspection on all those wires secured on all the lugs ... make sure they are all pretty tight. If you have 4-wire (for NEMA 14-50) make sure you cap & tuck the 'Neutral' wire away (it isn't used).

10. Put the inside cover on (the weather-sealed cover)... and all those Torx 25 screws (I think there are 10 of them)

11. There two plugs that close off any un-used access holes on the bottom.

12. Don't put the cosmetic cover on (yet). Instead, download and launch the FordChargeStation setup app. (This is NOT the Ford Pass app)

13. Turn on the power at the breaker (Smoke test! Do not let the smoke out of the box. Smoke must remain inside the box for proper function of the charger.)

14. Follow the instructions in the phone setup app. The reason you left the cosmetic cover off is because the app is going to ask you to key in an access code ... printed on a sticker on the weather-cover (so you'll want to be able to see that). Same code is also on a sticker on the front of the user's guide (but not the install guide).

15. After you key in all the info, select your WiFi network, etc. it will offer to configure the Ford Pass app with all this ... and auto-launches Ford Pass. At this point the charger will show up in Ford Pass.

I got a message that it was successful ... but for roughly the first ... 15 minutes (not exactly sure how long ... but it was a while) the Ford Pass app complained that the charger was not connected to the server. (Possibly some delays on the server-side of the configuration. Possibly it was doing a software update??). But this eventually went away on it's own and it's been great ever since.

16. Put the cosmetic cover on.

Oh... and mount the holster/cable-holder.

17. Take photos and post here!

18. Drink beer (or beverage of choice)
Is the warranty good if you DIY? Also, do you miss a tax credit!

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is the warranty good if you DIY? Also, do you miss a tax credit!
The federal tax credit is 30% of the total cost to purchase and install the equipment (capped at a max of $1000). If you had to hire an electrician to run power, buy the wall box, install it, etc. then save all those receipts. There is no rule that says you have to hire an electrician.

I don't know if there's any change in warranty coverage. Mine was professionally installed although it's not difficult to install it.... it's three wires. Wiring is two 'hot' wires and a ground. The neutral wire is not used.

Having said that... my dealer told me they sent out their loaner car for an overnight test-drive (people who had cars on order were offered an over-night test drive). They plugged the mobile charger into a NEMA 14-50 outlet that was apparently not professionally installed (or at least not correctly installed) and ended up smoking the mobile charger (the car was ok ... but the charger was toast.)

Ztug

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 mache e
Country flag
It was only partly the incremental amps ... but mostly it was because to get the best Time of Use charging rate I had to install a separate electric meter and that's a 125 amp meter. The ONLY thing you can do with that power is charger a car. They wont let me connect so much as a night light ... no garage door openers, lights, etc. can be powered. So I figure... I have a 125 amps ... may as well install two 60 amp breakers ... enough to power two 48 amp chargers.

Also... I really like knowing that the mobile charger is *always* in the car. If I'm away from home and need a charge ... e.g. visiting a friend, or headed up to the marina and I can find a place to plug in, I'll have the charger "with me". I didn't want to remember to roll up the charger and pack it in the car.

Technically the 48 amp charger should be able to completely recharge a dead car in something like 10 hours. But I don't realistically ever expect to roll into my garage with 1% power remaining. Also, I probably wont typically charge above 80% unless I'm planning to go somewhere far. So a 32 amp charger (on a 40 amp breaker) would be more than enough for daily use.
I decided to go with the Grizzl e charger. When I bought my Mustang the dealership didn't have any Ford Chargers and didn't know when they would. Plus it was about half the price. It's a little bit faster than the portable charger and I like keeping portable in the car at all times but when I'm away from home.

20210628_003140.jpg

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update for those following the thread. I recently spoke with Ford's engineer on the chargers (my EVSE failed to update to firmware 1.2.2). But he tells me that the Webasto guys finally validated the DIP switch settings. It turns out Webasto's engineers considered that "0 means on" (I'm surprised anyone would think that) and that's why the silk-screen conflicts with the DIP switch block.

THIS MEANS when configuring the DIP switches DO NOT follow the instructions on the printed circuit board. Follow the numbers on the DIP switch block. (this is the opposite of what I wrote in the original post on this thread)

I'm told the next batch of these being produced is expected to have the conflicting instructions removed.

Also keep in mind that any invalid DIP switch setting results in the EVSE defaulting to 48 amp charging.

I edited the original note on this thread and will try to get updated photos soon.

Also... make sure your Ford Connected Charge Station is updated to software version 1.2.2. That is the latest version as of now. Ford has received the feedback that the firmware version needs to show up in the FordPass app (it is currently only visible through the FordCharger Setup app). I'm told the FordPass guys are planning to add it ... but no dates are known as to when this will show up in FordPass.

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Update for those following the thread. I recently spoke with Ford's engineer on the chargers (my EVSE failed to update to firmware 1.2.2). But he tells me that the Webasto guys finally validated the DIP switch settings. It turns out Webasto's engineers considered that "0 means on" (I'm surprised anyone would think that) and that's why the silk-screen conflicts with the DIP switch block.

THIS MEANS when configuring the DIP switches DO NOT follow the instructions on the printed circuit board. Follow the numbers on the DIP switch block. (this is the opposite of what I wrote in the original post on this thread)

I'm told the next batch of these being produced is expected to have the conflicting instructions removed.

Also keep in mind that any invalid DIP switch setting results in the EVSE defaulting to 48 amp charging.

I edited the original note on this thread and will try to get updated photos soon.

Also... make sure your Ford Connected Charge Station is updated to software version 1.2.2. That is the latest version as of now. Ford has received the feedback that the firmware version needs to show up in the FordPass app (it is currently only visible through the FordCharger Setup app). I'm told the FordPass guys are planning to add it ... but no dates are known as to when this will show up in FordPass.
I had a problem with my charger and Ford sent a replacement which we had installed. Ford reimbursed me for the installation charge. When it installed I could see the software version, not 1.2.2. I talked with George at level 2 support and he did say it will update to 1.2.2 over the air. Were can I see the current version it’s on? George didn’t know where I should look.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I had a problem with my charger and Ford sent a replacement which we had installed. Ford reimbursed me for the installation charge. When it installed I could see the software version, not 1.2.2. I talked with George at level 2 support and he did say it will update to 1.2.2 over the air. Were can I see the current version it’s on? George didn’t know where I should look.
You might be able to see it via the About page in the Ford Connected Charge Station smart phone app.

You'll need your FCCS access code. The installer should have left this with you, for example as a sticker on the cover of the user manual.

If you don't have that, you can also find the access code in the FordPass app by selecting Your Charge Station on the Other/More section of FordPass.

Right now I'm unable to check the firmware version on my FCCS because the app crashes while populating the About page... So good luck!

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
According to my sources... once a new Ford EVSE is installed (such as the Ford Connected Charge Station) it will "check in". This queues the system if there are updates... but it can take a day before the update pushes to your EVSE. Sometimes a reboot of the EVSE will push the system to send the update sooner.

Mine did get the update within a day (as expected). If more than a day goes by without an update then it's probably time to wonder why it did not happen.

I know of two bugs in the charge station... software version 1.2.2 is the most updated version and should prevent both bugs.
Sponsored