Ford Model e Dealership

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have never had a car serviced at the dealer I’ve bought it from. (I’ve moved a lot). I’ve never been refused any type of service. Are there really dealers that do this???
My dealership has been saying no EV service if you didn't buy it there. Hard to get techs EV certified, few classes.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Someone is really going to have to develop a technology to allow cars to move between those islands: bridges, tunnels, ferries, big planes, something! Hopping in your outrigger canoes every time you need to run to the store and the store is on some other island seems to be untenable 😀😀😀
Yeah, get started on inventing that. ;)

Seriously, from a technical stand point, that’s not happening pretty much ever. The water is between 9,000 and 12,000 feet deep between Hawaii and Maui depending upon where you take the plunge. Between Molokai and Oahu it’s more than 2,600 feet deep. Between Oahu and Kauai it exceeds 10,000. We’re really some giant arsed mountains in some stunningly deep water (16,000 feet give or take a few thousand or more)

Xweb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium eAWD
Country flag
My dealership has been saying no EV service if you didn't buy it there. Hard to get techs EV certified, few classes.
I have never serviced a vehicle at the dealer I purchased from since I use a broker. Cars usually come from far away. Never been turned away and always treated great. However... I have not had the pleasure of owning a Ford before, so their dealer network might not be as accommodating. So far my only visit to my local Ford dealer for my Mach E was great.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not as bad as your situation but my nearest dealer if the local does not stay EV is 350 miles and if they also do not go certified then nearest dealer 1500 miles. Personally I think the whole multiple L3 charger requirement is idiotic on Ford’s part. Majority of people charge at home and, for good or bad, the government is subsidizing the installation of many more L3 installations with a minimum of 4 stalls each in the next few years. Unfortunately it is true that electrical infrastructure such as transformers required for chargers is currently greater than 52 weeks out!
Shipping via the state ferry system is not an option.

Ford isn't stupid, there will be accommodations.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you have a major issue with your vehicle and cannot find somewhere to service it during the warranty period Ford will more than likely buy it back.
if you have a major issue with your car under warranty and no nearby dealer Ford will likely buy back the car if requested or arrange an alternative solution.
We shall see. There's a sort of test of sorts about this going on out here right now. The local dealer refuses to do the glass recall on the affected MMEs. The answer is a simple "No. We can't do that." It's been escalated to Ford headquarters. Currently, the answer is "You just have to work with your dealer." A dealer that refuses to do the glass recalls or to make arrangements for it to be done by a third party.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So far my only visit to my local Ford dealer for my Mach E was great.
It's not a being mean thing or an odd way of trying to get you to buy from them in the future. It's due to limited resources and high demand for those resources (people, parts, etc). We shall see how this shakes out over the next year or two.

Last edited:

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
HVBJB? Bad charging port? Bad CV joints? Anything else that breaks down or there’s a CSP or TSB for? 🤷‍♂️🐩
It was a joke but those are all things that should in theory not be an issue on cars for many many years/miles (ford needs to fix that lol).

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I have a feeling that the rules will change again when it becomes clear how many rural/small dealerships cannot afford to buy/own/install a L3 charger. The rest of the investment in EV tools, lift, and mechanic certification are minor compared to the L3 charger.

My bet is that Ford will soften/eliminate that requirement if there is a L3 charger within x miles. That would be the 'reasonable' way to enable more Dealerships to obtain/retain EV sales/service
Nope, you have it wrong.

This is the internet. Our job is to think of the worst possible outcome, assume that will be the case, then freak out!

Reality? They’re a big company. They will figure out how to get our cars serviced.

Step 1: try to force the dealers to do better, and take things away (car sales) if they don’t.

We don’t know what step 2 is.

Anyone here think having an EV certified dealer work on your car is a bad thing?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IMO, the DCFC requirement is as much to give the dealer a way to better troubleshoot charging problems as it is to give customers a place to charge.
Sure - at some point one would be needed due to volume of cars sold but 2 - 4 is overkill for the dealer. There is no profit in the sales but having one to quickly charge vehicles for maintenance and sales will be a given. Or team up with a vendor to install some nearby.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Not as bad as your situation but my nearest dealer if the local does not stay EV is 350 miles and if they also do not go certified then nearest dealer 1500 miles. Personally I think the whole multiple L3 charger requirement is idiotic on Ford’s part. Majority of people charge at home and, for good or bad, the government is subsidizing the installation of many more L3 installations with a minimum of 4 stalls each in the next few years. Unfortunately it is true that electrical infrastructure such as transformers required for chargers is currently greater than 52 weeks out!
This. While it'd be cool for dealers to have L3 chargers, it's about as necessary as dealers having espresso machines. I need L3 chargers on the interstate at rest stops, not in the middle of cities.

Yeah, get started on inventing that. ;)

Seriously, from a technical stand point, that’s not happening pretty much ever. The water is between 9,000 and 12,000 feet deep between Hawaii and Maui depending upon where you take the plunge. Between Molokai and Oahu it’s more than 2,600 feet deep. Between Oahu and Kauai it exceeds 10,000. We’re really some giant arsed mountains in some stunningly deep water (16,000 feet give or take a few thousand or more)
If the Romans could build pontoon bridges 2000 years ago, you Hawaiians can do so today!

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This. While it'd be cool for dealers to have L3 chargers, it's about as necessary as dealers having espresso machines. I need L3 chargers on the interstate at rest stops, not in the middle of cities.

If the Romans could build pontoon bridges 2000 years ago, you Hawaiians can do so today!
Please build one to Alaska first with charging stations every 200 miles! Better yet wireless charging as we drive there! (Just got back from 3 weeks on Maui)

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I just had my Honda dealer refuse to install my snow tires because I didn’t buy them there. Dealers sometimes make stupid decisions. The Honda is a Hybrid so they’ll still get my service $$’s. I bought 3 cars from them.

Having dealers refusing t service EV’s purchased elsewhere reminds me of the 1972 gas shortage when gas stations only supplied gas to customers. Some people reacted violently.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It was a joke but those are all things that should in theory not be an issue on cars for many many years/miles (ford needs to fix that lol).
While those things should not be issues, they are current issues with cars that are anywhere from 2 years old to 2 months old. 🤔🐩

nIceWhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Ice White
Country flag
For dealers that don't opt-in the first round, there will be a second opportunity a few years down the line for them to make the necessary upgrades to become a Model E dealership.
Sponsored