Ford Range Increase Coming?

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Rural: Driving from one metropolitan area to another.

I drove from the Wichita area to the Denver area.
So what you're saying is that my "rural" area isn't the same as yours... so that "real-world" data from my car isn't comparable to your "real world."

Interesting.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
So since I actually have time series data sampled every minute for every mile my car has driven, here's a 2-hour drive recently at "75 MPH"

1603159880548.png

The problem with the "real world" is that there's other people in it. Someone who caused an accident at 4:27 above. Another other problem with the "real world" is that there's construction in it. See 3:32 above.

Not to mention the inability to pass, people hogging the left lane, etc.
what tool do you use to log that?

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
So what you're saying is that my "rural" area isn't the same as yours... so that "real-world" data from my car isn't comparable to your "real world."

Interesting.
How do you design a scientific test that incorporates two car wrecks that cause you to slow down to zero miles an hour on the interstate? And even with all of that, your average speed was 68.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
How do you design a scientific test that incorporates two car wrecks that cause you to slow down to zero miles an hour on the interstate? And even with all of that, your average speed was 68.
Exactly.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
okay. So we've determined that it's impossible to design a test that accurately reflects your typical drive.

It is certainly possible to design one that reflects my typical drive, since I set the cruise control and forget about it.

Looks like that's what they should do. Just like they do on inside EVs. Just like they do at car and driver. Just like they do at CarWow.

Yes, that's right. All of those organizations conduct tests where they drive forever at a steady state highway speed.

😀

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
okay. So we've determined that it's impossible to design a test that accurately reflects your typical drive.

It is certainly possible to design one that reflects my typical drive, since I set the cruise control and forget about it.

Looks like that's what they should do. Just like they do on inside EVs. Just like they do at car and driver. Just like they do at CarWow.

Yes, that's right. All of those organizations conduct tests where they drive forever at a steady state highway speed.

😀
Except, again, that they don't. Because they do it in the real world. And therefore it's not steady state, and not repeatable.

And the circle begins again.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
Except, again, that they don't. Because they do it in the real world. And therefore it's not steady state, and not repeatable.

And the circle begins again.
It is actually. Have you watched their videos? Plus, I do it all the time. You think they're using camera tricks? You think I'm lying about my drive? Have you ever driven from Wichita to Denver?

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It is actually. Have you watched their videos? Plus, I do it all the time. You think they're using camera tricks? You think I'm lying about my drive? Have you ever driven from Wichita to Denver?
I watch them all the time. As entertainment, nothing more.

I don't think you're lying, but I don't think you push cars out of your way when you come up on them at 75 and they're doing 74. And therefore, your drives are not repeatable precisely, same as everyone's.

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
I watch them all the time. As entertainment, nothing more.

I don't think you're lying, but I don't think you push cars out of your way when they do 74. And therefore, your drives are not repeatable precisely, same as everyone's.
Interstates always have at least two lanes. When I'm gaining on a vehicle, I change lanes.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Interstates always have at least two lanes. When I'm gaining on a vehicle, I change lanes.
And when both lanes are full? When someone flies up on you from behind? What is the accuracy of your cruise control for holding the desired speed you set? What is your speedometer's calibration?

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
And when both lanes are full? When someone flies up on you from behind? What is the accuracy of your cruise control for holding the desired speed you set? What is your speedometer's calibration?
Rare. I may slow down to 70 or 65. But the vast majority of my trip is done at the speed I set on my cruise control.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
A Mach-E equivalent of TeslaFi would be terrific. My buddy has shared a number of his Tesla road trips with me and it's so fascinating to see each segments data as well as the charging session. Plus it also keeps track of lifetime charging for both AC and DC.

The DC totals are especially important because Tesla will start to de-rate charging speeds once a certain kWh threshold has been reached.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
@JayTee what specifically is your question?

You have the EPA tests and the link to what they entail. You’ve had several EV owners give you real world data which, as they have all pointed out repeatedly, is only valid for that particular day, time, driver, temp, road.

If you don’t want to use the EPA test or the real world tests, then by all means devise a standard that is meaningful to you but don’t keep asking for the same thing to be explained over and over agIan.

Advertisement