Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let's not forget a very important thing with range. The EPA or WLTP ratings are done in a controlled lab environment, from all the You Tube video's I've watched it is more likely that the range in summertime will exceed the ratings, sometimes by a good margin, and in winter time you will likely not make it by 30% or more the specified range. Range figures are an average under X conditions only. So yes people living in regions that have extremes in summer/winter will likely have problems meeting these rating numbers.

EDIT: Has far has highway range most of the video's on You Tube are done at highway speed and people generally meet the range or are close to the rating, except when they go on German Autobahn's at/or exceed 130km/h-80mi/h.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So far neither of the two EV's I've had (Bolt, Focus Electric) have lost any range sitting outside unplugged in the cold (<0F).

On those really cold Jan & Feb days it was obvious going in to work how much range would be left at the end of the day--no surprises.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless the BMS and the guess-o-meter are already taking ambient air temp into account and have accounted for the range drop.

I know the Focus Electric's guess-o-meter was highly dependent on your most recent trips and thus would reflect the morning drive's power usage (which would be higher than the afternoon drives simply because it could be -5F in the morning but might go up to 20F in the afternoon...wooo balmy!).

Just saying that A) neither the Focus Electric's nor the Bolt's guess-o-meters would read different at the end of a cold day sitting in the lot not plugged in from when turned off in the morning and B) neither have left me stranded to the point where I would have to charge on the way home (ok with a 20 mile commute it is very unlikely that the Bolt would leave me stranded but it was close on the Focus with its EPA range of only 70 miles).

That was my biggest fear when getting the Focus as my first BEV was "could I make the round trip commute in February". The answer was yes.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
(I meant the ambient temp of the air on the commute in..)

Perhaps the Mach-E will sort of with its "crowd sourced" range calculator?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I think the huge drop in range due to temps under 32F is unique to Tesla. I think it's common for range to drop somewhat as the battery settles but what you've described is extreme. No idea how other manufacturers address this but I've never seen a drop anything close to what you've described.

Which brings up an interesting question. When I look at the results from the various "real world" tests, the Teslas seem to deviate considerably more than other BEVs. We have the Car and Driver test which compared the Tesla S to the Taycan and the CARWOW entertainment ride where all the other vehicles exceeded what you'd expect from the EPA number but Tesla fell below it. Do you have a theory why this is true?

Seems very weird to me.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the huge drop in range due to temps under 32F is unique to Tesla. I think it's common for range to drop somewhat as the battery settles but what you've described is extreme. No idea how other manufacturers address this but I've never seen a drop anything close to what you've described.

Which brings up an interesting question. When I look at the results from the various "real world" tests, the Teslas seem to deviate considerably more than other BEVs. We have the Car and Driver test which compared the Tesla S to the Taycan and the CARWOW entertainment ride where all the other vehicles exceeded what you'd expect from the EPA number but Tesla fell below it. Do you have a theory why this is true?

Seems very weird to me.
I was experiencing easily 50% of the range on the Focus Electric in winter.

On the Bolt its less severe, more like 70%.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
There is going to be a noticeable difference in reported ranges with early deliveries, between the colder winter states and warmer ones.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I was experiencing easily 50% of the range on the Focus Electric in winter.

On the Bolt its less severe, more like 70%.
In my PHEV, I would lose about 20% in cold, but note that’s cold *for san diego*. I would typically wear a coat, so the loss was due to the battery/management, not cabin heating.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
In my PHEV, I would lose about 20% in cold, but note that’s cold *for san diego*. I would typically wear a coat, so the loss was due to the battery/management, not cabin heating.
When driving the Focus Electric in really cold weather I'd only use seat heat and lots of warm clothes so the loss wasn't due to the heater either.
Sponsored