Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I totally get the frustration - I would be, too. But technically Ford doesnā€™t owe anybody an explanation until the inventory arrives in customer hands. These cars still belong to Ford, even in transit.

No way this is a software issue, and as much as Iā€™d like it to be a fix to the charging issues some have observed, I expect thatā€™s a more complicated problem involving the stations. My guess is that this is some very mundane safety issue that none of the reviews even picked up.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I totally get the frustration - I would be, too. But technically Ford doesnā€™t owe anybody an explanation until the inventory arrives in customer hands. These cars still belong to Ford, even in transit.

No way this is a software issue, and as much as Iā€™d like it to be a fix to the charging issues some have observed, I expect thatā€™s a more complicated problem involving the stations. My guess is that this is some very mundane safety issue that none of the reviews even picked up.
Technically they "belong" to the dealers who have already paid for them, but I disagree that we are not entitled to a detailed explanation after a 14 month wait for the cars only to have our already built and shipped cars delayed again.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Got an email from my dealer: "Mach-E is undergoing additional inspection and as a result, delivery is moved back. Your new ETA is 2nd week of February."

Now this is for a car built 11/28 with no shipment or ETA notification.

Wonder if the OTA update referenced above has anything to do with the situation.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Actually most of us are still in the discovery phase, trying to figure out exactly which (group of) vehicles were affected and which werenā€™t. I think many of us appreciate the information even if it means some delayed owners unfortunately have to watch other owners receive their cars on time.

The fact that some folks are still on schedule is reassuring that hopefully the number of cars delayed is like 1-5% of the total cars ordered. If it turns out the delay affects 30%+ of total orders it could be bad for Ford with cancellations but we still donā€™t have enough data to give us the scale of the delay.
And we likely never will leave discovery nor know the real scope, scale or issue. Ford clearly doesn't want to reveal that. And that's the part that bothers me the most.

I have nothing but respect for Ford. Everything they've done to keep the Mach E on schedule and the insider's here who have shared insight and pride for their products is awesome. Built Ford Proud is not just a marketing slogan. But the marketing controlled message that is coming from Ford does not respect me as a customer. I, like most EV buyers and members of this forum, am a fairly intelligent, informed consumer. If there's a defect that needs to be addressed, tell me that honestly. I ship software for a living. I know it's imperfect. If a bolt needs to be tightened or a part needs to be replaced, tell me. Don't tell me you're going to do 2 months of quality checks on a car that took 10 days to build. I have after all spent $60K, yes spent. And yes, I know two months is an estimated aggregate number but the math and the explanation offered don't add up in my opinion.

This reminds me of the antics Toyota played with the launch of the 2018 Camry and Entune system problems. My car sat at the local port (after being built in KY) for two months with no other explanation than held for inspections. The dealer even eluded at one point they may be taking the car apart and actually inspecting and reassembling systems. Jeez!! It quite soon became evident Toyota was hiding the fact that the new Entune system was not ready. The fact that they offered to add Apple CarPlay support 18 months after delivery was the final resolution. But my impression of Toyota, as well as the car, is forever tainted because of it.

Ford, if you're listening, I'd really not like the same experience with my Mach E. I'm an adult that can handle facts. I don't deal well with misinformation and uncertainty however.

Last edited:

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
The problem that no one has mentioned is that Ford is a publicly traded company. But theyā€™re a company that builds a dangerous product that has a huge number of ways that can cause real harm to individuals. Thatā€™s creates a huge conflict in that they must maximize profit or face lawsuits from stock holders while simultaneously not harming people with their product. I joked earlier about being a lawyer decision, but this is absolutely a decision from a lawyer. They canā€™t tell us because it could affect stock price and it could create liability because admitting a problem is acknowledgment of the problem which is an element for products liability. This was something large enough to stop those cars and make sure it is is not as serious as whoever found the problem thinks it could be ultimately. But was something big enough on the surface to have a lawyer go, you create liability by letting this go forward knowing the potential consequences.

Ultimately Iā€™m happy they stopped and donā€™t make the same mistakes as the past (I.e. the pinto), but I hold no hope of them telling people at all or until much later. As a consumer though this bothers me because I am entitled to decide what risk I want to take and if you create a dangerous device, Iā€™m entitled to know what risks exist so I can make an informed decision. But they wonā€™t tell us most likely. But Iā€™m happy to eat crow on this because it would be an improvement in how companies treat their consumers.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Got an email from my dealer: "Mach-E is undergoing additional inspection and as a result, delivery is moved back. Your new ETA is 2nd week of February."

Now this is for a car built 11/28 with no shipment or ETA notification.

Wonder if the OTA update referenced above has anything to do with the situation.
I am betting on the European Kuga PHEV fire issue that was related to the battery cells contamination via faulty factory production. Ford is awaiting for new battery packs to install before releasing to retail customers. This would play correctly into the time frame of 7 weeks+ delay and... the Escpae PHEV has been delayed to the first week of April 2021.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
The problem that no one has mentioned is that Ford is a publicly traded company. But theyā€™re a company that builds a dangerous product that has a huge number of ways that can cause real harm to individuals. Thatā€™s creates a huge conflict in that they must maximize profit or face lawsuits from stock holders while simultaneously not harming people with their product. I joked earlier about being a lawyer decision, but this is absolutely a decision from a lawyer. They canā€™t tell us because it could affect stock price and it could create liability because admitting a problem is acknowledgment of the problem which is an element for products liability. This was something large enough to stop those cars and make sure it is is not as serious as whoever found the problem thinks it could be ultimately. But was something big enough on the surface to have a lawyer go, you create liability by letting this go forward knowing the potential consequences.

Ultimately Iā€™m happy they stopped and donā€™t make the same mistakes as the past (I.e. the pinto), but I hold no hope of them telling people at all or until much later. As a consumer though this bothers me because I am entitled to decide what risk I want to take and if you create a dangerous device, Iā€™m entitled to know what risks exist so I can make an informed decision. But they wonā€™t tell us most likely. But Iā€™m happy to eat crow on this because it would be an improvement in how companies treat their consumers.
I totally agree. This is the result of a bunch of lawyers and or financial people saying, Do Not tell the world we made a mistake/and or we found a problem (however small it may be)and it has to be fixed before we ship these cars out. Radio silence. Let people wait.
I find that those folks never talk to the marketing or the public relations people or if they do, they just tell them not to say Anything until they have reviewed everything a million times. So the folks that want to communicate with us, just give up and don't even try to let us know the simplest stuff. So we sit and stew and invent all kinds of rumors and drive each other crazy and @trutolife27 sends his wife off to Costco for more popcorn!

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I am betting on the European Kuga PHEV fire issue that was related to the battery cells contamination via faulty factory production. Ford is awaiting for new battery packs to install before releasing to retail customers. This would play correctly into the time frame of 7 weeks+ delay and... the Escpae PHEV has been delayed to the first week of April 2021.
This could line up with @trutolife27 ā€™s hint that it ā€œsounded major at first glance, but isnā€™t as major is initially thoughtā€ [my totally and utterly paraphrased quote, poorly]

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
So that Vehicle Visibility screenshot is wrong and they used the word "stopship" to mean something other than "stop ship", or you're saying @machefan photoshopped his post? I'm not making any claims here, I'm just trying to reconcile this statement that there is no stop ship with evidence on the forum that their is. I just want my car.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...h-deliveries-imminent.2457/page-52#post-87063
True nuff I must say. Does say stopship on just some of the MMEs.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Nope! Itā€™s just a double check of some early builds.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/whats-the-reason-for-the-delay.2800/post-87598
Sponsored