TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IMHO, no. I got a Grizzl-E because the car already has the smart features I would look for in a smart charger. I also think 48A is unnecessary, given that you have to charge overnight to fill up a mostly empty battery anyway. You can find counterpoints to mine in that thread. Missing is the fact that the federal 30% deduction expires 12/31, so the already more expensive Ford charger goes up even more.
Same here. In fact in my opinion and situation, the advantages were with NOT going with a hardwired charger like the Ford Connected. I liked the idea of having a 14-50 outlet for more flexibility. I can plug in the included mobile charger to test it periodically. If my Grizzl-E ever breaks in the future it's an easy replacement. Friends/family could plug in a Tesla charger if needed. And while I never expect to need to use a welder or garage space heater or other high power device, it's just nice having that outlet there if ever needed for something in the future.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Same here. In fact in my opinion and situation, the advantages were with NOT going with a hardwired charger like the Ford Connected. I liked the idea of having a 14-50 outlet for more flexibility. I can plug in the included mobile charger to test it periodically. If my Grizzl-E ever breaks in the future it's an easy replacement. Friends/family could plug in a Tesla charger if needed. And while I never expect to need to use a welder or garage space heater or other high power device, it's just nice having that outlet there if ever needed for something in the future.
Agreed, the flexibility of the outlet is a benefit I didn't mention. If the charger breaks or has issues, it's easy to temporarily unplug it and use the ford mobile charger until the issue is resolved. When a replacement arrives, it's easy to just plug it in and you're done. With a hardwired EVSE those who aren't handy will incur an electrician's bill even if the EVSE is replaced under warranty.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Plug the Grizzl-E was only $280 this year with the 30% tax credit.

Tiger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
So I need to change it to a 60 and I will be fine??? This sounds stupid but I am not electrically inclined. Since it has its own breaker and 240 box. he can just lose the plug and hook it up directly to the wires???

Tiger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
I would like to get some information on the Ford Connected Charge Station mentioned in media pieces that were published in mid-October
https://media.ford.com/…/ford-introduces-north-americas-lar…
This 48 amp station is intended for installation in home garages, but I can’t find out who makes it or the 240V power requirements, etc. (I am told that I will need a 60 amp circuit for a 48 amp, 240V draw)
We’re remodeling a home and the house is almost ready for rough electrical wiring. I don’t want to have some Amazon-hired electrician come in after-the-fact and tell me they have to run a conduit down the outside of the wall from the attic to power the station.
Anyone have any information as to manufacturer, when it will be available, wiring requirements, etc?
No information has been released to Ford dealerships or Parts Departments as of yet. Thanks

Tiger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
I have ordered the Ford Connected Charge Station but as yet have not received it. Can anyone provide me the exact specs of the unit? Specifically, is the current output adjustable (at the unit or via application)? Also, if the output current is adjusted to 30Amps how many miles of charge will that produce in one hour? What does the unit display as the charge
takes place?

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
I have ordered the Ford Connected Charge Station but as yet have not received it. Can anyone provide me the exact specs of the unit? Specifically, is the current output adjustable (at the unit or via application)? Also, if the output current is adjusted to 30Amps how many miles of charge will that produce in one hour? What does the unit display as the charge
takes place?
FOrd has issued a Stop Sell order on that unit and has told all dealers to get the units back and issue refunds. Apparently it develops an unrecovrable fault and turns red. They have no solution for this. I returned it and purchased the chargepoint it is a lot easier to install and will charge the car in ten hours instead of 8 which I think it is good enough.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I returned it and purchased the chargepoint it is a lot easier to install and will charge the car in ten hours instead of 8 which I think it is good enough.
Why would the ChargePoint charge slower? If it’s hardwired like the Ford Connected station, it shouldn’t be any slower.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Why would the ChargePoint charge slower? If it’s hardwired like the Ford Connected station, it shouldn’t be any slower.
I am not hardwiring it, I am using a nema 14-50 plug. Anyway it is fine for my use. We will probalby move in the next year anyway.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I am not hardwiring it, I am using a nema 14-50 plug. Anyway it is fine for my use. We will probalby move in the next year anyway.
Ah, okay. So the charger isn't any slower, it's just that you've decided to switch to a plug installation instead of a hardwire since the ChargePoint gives you that flexibility.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
FOrd has issued a Stop Sell order on that unit and has told all dealers to get the units back and issue refunds. Apparently it develops an unrecovrable fault and turns red. They have no solution for this. I returned it and purchased the chargepoint it is a lot easier to install and will charge the car in ten hours instead of 8 which I think it is good enough.
I don't think that's exactly correct - at least not yet.

According to the stop-sell bulletin: " A future communication will be released and will cover claims and returns processes if determined to be required. "

It's great that your dealer has accepted your return. I'd take mine back, if it wasn't already installed. If I don't hear anything by the time my car gets here, I'll ask them then about disposition then.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You may wish to read the information Ford sent me directly. No refunds are being sent yet and they haven’t directed dealers to collect them back from consumers (yet).

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
takes place?
The charger has both a hardware limit and can be further software limited.

There are DIP switches inside that you configure to set the max charging amperage allowed. Your choices are 48, 40, 32, 24, 20, and 16 amp charge rates.

Once you set the hard limit... you can further limit it via the app. The physical switches are there to hopefully avoid the situation where ... your 16 year old wants the car to charge faster and notices that they can just change the setting in software.

A RWD car gets a little bit better range (~300 miles with the ER battery pack) than an AWD car (~270 miles with the ER battery pack) So that's about a 10% reduction for having a 2nd motor. At 48 amps I think Ford says you'll get about 28 miles of range added per hour. I'd expect that if you have AWD it's probably more like 25 miles of range per hour.

At 30 amps it should be more like 20 miles of range added per hour ... or about 18 miles of range if you have AWD.

And of course range is based on weather. If you live in a cold state then winter range wont be equal to summer range.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
When i spoke with my Ford dealer they told me to use chargePoint as it is cheaper by a LOT and functions just as well. The other advantage with ChargePoint is that you can hook up your home charger to your account so that you can keep track of all of your Chargepoint purchases if you charge away form home.
Sponsored