spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Oh and changing their logo:

GM unveils new logo, plans new website in shift to electric vehicles
Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

General Motors is working to remake its public image with a new logo, a new company-wide marketing campaign and a new website as it shifts from a company that makes largely internal combustion vehicles to offering mostly all-electric vehicles over the next decade.
On Friday, GM said starting Monday it will debut the campaign to promote mass adoption of EVs called “Everybody In.” The company will replace its familiar blue square logo and will launch a new GM.com website to share the latest information about work in electrification and self-driving cars.
-4197-b82b-1b44646a5353-GM_Brandmark_2021_Gradient.jpg

The "Everybody In" campaign, which starts running digitally this month, will feature media influencers to help introduce a new generation of buyers to EVs. Likewise, designers have created a new logo using a color gradient of vibrant blue tones to represent the cleaner skies of a zero-emissions future.
“There are moments in history when everything changes. Inflection points. We believe such a point is upon us for the mass adoption of electric vehicles,” said Deborah Wahl, GM global chief marketing officer.
fb-4d0a-8f9e-bd84a3294fbe-Wahl-HeadShot7-23-18_002.jpg

Wahl said GM's investment and technology in EVs has created the scale to put "everyone in an EV."
"Our new brand identity and campaign are designed to reflect this," she said. " ‘Everybody In’ demonstrates our intent to lead, while inviting others — policymakers, partners, individuals — to play an active role ... whether that’s helping to expand infrastructure, advocating for progress in their communities or simply taking an EV for a test drive.”
Generation E
ab728a4ec97c-GM_LittleGirl_Ad_Campaign_Screen_Grab.jpg

GM has touted its transformation to EVs and self-driving cars for years, saying it seeks a world with zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion.
Last fall, GM CEO Mary Barra told Wall Street the company has invested $27 billion in EV and AV products through 2025 and will launch 30 new EVs globally by the end of 2025. Previously, GM had said it would bring 20 new EVs to market by 2023.

The “Everybody In” campaign is intended to excite a new generation of buyers and challenge the perception of EVs by highlighting the range, performance and flexibility of GM's Ultium battery platform.
Ultium will power nearly all of GM's future EV lineup from mass-market to high-performance vehicles, including the 2022 GMC Hummer pickup due out late this year and the Cadillac Lyriq SUV due out early next year.
4f3b-400f-8e3d-9d843a8f6703-2022-GMC-HUMMER-EV-061.jpg

Ultium will allow EVs to go up to 450 miles on a full charge and it will power EVs of many sizes, shapes and price points. It is capable of 0-60 mph performance in three seconds on some models.
The "Everybody In" campaign is currently focused solely on the United States and it will be "significant" in terms of its placement in the media, but Wahl declined to say how much GM is spending on it.

To promote the electric vehicles, GM will feature various influencers throughout the campaign, including:
  • Malcolm Gladwell, author of “The Tipping Point."
  • Bethany Hamilton, professional surfer and shark attack survivor.
  • Cody Rigsby, fitness instructor.
  • Erin A. Simon, a gamer.
The influencers appear in the spots challenging people to accept change and call those who embrace EVs as "Generation E."
"Our EV future is inclusive of all different walks of people," Wahl said.
A new logo
-4197-b82b-1b44646a5353-GM_Brandmark_2021_Gradient.jpg

The new logo is meant to be a modernized version of GM's trademark blue square, while still giving a nod to GM's heritage.
This is only the fifth logo change in 113 years, Wahl said. The last time GM changed its logo was in 1964.
GM said the new identity extends to its technology "brands," such as its proprietary Ultium system.
-1f9f-4c59-9ca5-90b9a5df75d4-GM_Gladwell_Print_jpg.jpg

"The new brand is optimistic and vibrant," Wahl said. "This new look will roll quickly across our new materials and facilities during 2021."
The new logo features a color gradient of vibrant blue tones, meant to evoke the cleaner skies a zero-emissions future will bring as well as reflect the Ultium platform. The rounded edges and lowercase font create a modern and inclusive feel, GM described in a release.
15d4d163-a5cd-45e3-a624-758642b5e1aa-GMLogos.jpg

"The underline of the 'm' connects to the previous GM logos as well as visually representing the Ultium platform. And within the negative space of the 'm' is a nod to the shape of an electrical plug," a GM release said.
“This was a project our team took so personally, not just for ourselves but for the 164,000 employees this logo represents," said Sharon Gauci, GM executive director of Global Industrial Design. "At every step we wanted to be intentional and deliberate because this logo signifies creative and innovative thinking across the global General Motors family.”

Source.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
that logo change feels like a big deal from a marketing viewpoint. that logo hasn't changed since 1964 (in the post) and pretty sure every current GM vehicle has little GM badges somewhere on them. that will be a very visible change.
Ford Mustang Mach-E GM going "all in" on EVs 1610140219057

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
that logo change feels like a big deal from a marketing viewpoint. that logo hasn't changed since 1964 (in the post) and pretty sure every current GM vehicle has little GM badges somewhere on them. that will be a very visible change.
1610140219057.png
That "Mark of Excellence" badge was only used from the start of the 2006 Model Year through mid-2009, when it was removed for cost-cutting to stay in business, so it's not on any modern GM. I doubt they'll bring it back onto the cars now, but I could stand to be corrected if the new Ultium EVs get it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That "Mark of Excellence" badge was only used from the start of the 2006 Model Year through mid-2009, when it was removed for cost-cutting to stay in business, so it's not on any modern GM. I doubt they'll bring it back onto the cars now, but I could stand to be corrected if the new Ultium EVs get it.
I didn't realize it was such a short time. I guess I noticed them a few times and promptly started to ignore them to where I didn't realize they were gone.

it seems that under Bob Lutz they decided the GM brand was too broken to put it on the cars: GM To Remove Mark Of Excellence Badges From Products | GM Authority

so it wasn't officially a cost-cutting measure - officially it was "our brand is sh*t".

which is really hilarious if you give it any thought.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The video is pretty good. The fact that it includes 800 V design is good, but it has to prove reliability. However, it seems GM, Rivian (Ford), Hyundai and others are all moving to 800 V. Could be a big deal if costs are okay. Have not heard of Tesla looking at 800V.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
The video is pretty good. The fact that it includes 800 V design is good, but it has to prove reliability. However, it seems GM, Rivian (Ford), Hyundai and others are all moving to 800 V. Could be a big deal if costs are okay. Have not heard of Tesla looking at 800V.
Not all GM Ultium EVs will be 800V, it's still a fairly niche application. With their battery architecture, only the huge packs can be 800V, so we'll likely only see that in their trucks and SUVs, perhaps they'll do a variant for the Cadillac Celestiq "flagship" but that remains to be seen.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Hopefully their logo propels them to better product launches. The Cadillac Lyric and Hummer launch were about as awful as anything you would ever watch and were not very inspirational for their future.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
As I saw someone on twitter say, now we know what the Pontiac Aztec designers are doing. :D

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Oh shoot, That does it. I'm out.....?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
the question is will the new logo be a goodmove?

oh I guess there's stuff about EVs or something in that story too, not just a new logo.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
To promote the electric vehicles, GM will feature various influencers throughout the campaign, including:
  • Malcolm Gladwell, author of “The Tipping Point."
  • Bethany Hamilton, professional surfer and shark attack survivor.
  • Cody Rigsby, fitness instructor.
  • Erin A. Simon, a gamer.
this part feels "very old person trying to be relevant"

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM going "all in" on EVs 1610142799561

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
That was my take, but I'm also part of the demographic that is completely annoyed by "influencers."

this part feels "very old person trying to be relevant"

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM going "all in" on EVs 1610142799561

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That was my take, but I'm also part of the demographic that is completely annoyed by "influencers."
I feel like those that care about "influencers" are going to react exactly the same way I did. Just for different reasons. In my case, it's pure cynicism. In their case, it's cynicism of and recognition of forced corporate marketing. "Influencers" get that way by being a lot more clever and sneaky, and a lot more "organic", about these things, in a way that legacy large corporations and their marketing groups just don't get and won't get.

remember: Tesla has never done traditional marketing. and yet we all know of them and their cars, and it's not because we are BEV people.

The video of some young female influencer whose name I've already forgotten that is in the video review forum feels a lot more "real" and it was basically Ford going "hey you why don't you have this cool car for a while" which is not the same as "up front we're selecting these people as our face." And she has a lot more followers than I'll ever have. (My forgetting her name is not representative of her influence. It's representative of my not caring. That's not the same thing.)

also on this point: Malcolm Gladwell? Holy crap that's some serious "someone a business executive thinks is cool" vibes there.
Sponsored