intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
Well, I've driven 21,000 miles and have never been bricked or had to pull over. I don't use DC fast chargers and don't drive like an A-Hole. Not sure if that is why I have not had any problems.
Sponsored

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
My line is fire. I heard Tycans and Bolts have that issue. I guess you should avoid those for sure.
I have heard/read only of one Taycan fire while parked in a garage in Florida 2.5 years ago and it is unclear if the fire started from the car or the charger or the home circuit.

The Bolt is a different story..

Last edited:

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
The software was never a fix. Just a safety feature to allow the car to be driven if the HV issue occurs. Ford is addressing the issue. Set an appointment and have the part replaced.
Incorrect. If the software updates fail, only then hardware replacement is needed

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
There are no problems with the Bolt. An insignificant number of them had improperly assembled batteries. GM replaced the batteries on all of the Bolts. 20,000+ free miles. Bad mouthing the Bolt is purely ignorance.
The OP is justified in his complaint. There is no reason to disparage him.
I charge my MME at level 1 directly via may solar panels. Rarely use EVSE (on MME).
Never once fast charged. Will only fast charge after functional HVBJB is installed. This effectively eliminates road trips.
Yes, any vehicle is capable of breaking down. But when you know a vehicle will break down due to a defective part it makes no sense to gamble. Those with unlimited means and time can afford this. That is not all of us.
No vehicle should be sold with defective parts. No manufacturer should be allowed to ignore the problem and put out some nonsensical software OTA in order to avoid a real recall/fix.
No new vehicle owner should have to go to battle with the vehicles manufacturer or fight with dealerships in order to make the vehicle usable.
Granted we all want our MMEs to be great, but that is simply not the case. Perhaps someday.
Criticizing someone who makes a legitimate statement is completely out of line.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Although the Mach e has many fine features, I cannot rely on it to take a trip of several hundred miles to see my relatives. I cannot take the chance of having my car brick. The software update plainly does not adequately resolve this issue. It is untenable that Ford will not properly address this problem. I am going to sell this vehicle and buy something that I can rely on
Sell the Mach-E to someone who does not need to drive far. Or move closer and see them in any EV. Finally, just use video calls and never need to drive. It is quite foolish to drive over 200 miles anyway.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All EVs with liquid electrolyte batteries will do this. The promise of solid state batteries has been promoted/pumped for 10+ years now - to solve the flammability issue. I’m thinking we will have fusion powered cars before solid state batteries ever becomes reality :)
The Coal, Oil, Gas and Utility(COGU) companies will fight solid state to the bitter end. The viable solid state technology (multiple companies) has been there for years. Gee, wonder who is preventing its implementation? COGU? Maybe?

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sell the Mach-E to someone who does not need to drive far. Or move closer and see them in any EV. Finally, just use video calls and never need to drive. It is quite foolish to drive over 200 miles anyway.
Yes, for old farts.
But when I was younger and had to budget my money, I was foolish and drove over 200 miles.
Sure would have loved to have an MME then!

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I mean, OP has a point, but it might be an unwise way of dealing with it.

Look: is the HVJB likely to fail? It happens to between 0.5 to 2 percent of the cars thus far. Is there a fix? It appears so, but the software isn't the fix, it appears to be the new HVJB. If it's going fail, it's better to fail under warranty.

Until it happens to you, you are literally just borrowing trouble. Drive your car, enjoy your car. Or don't. The way I'm approaching new car buying is: every time you buy a new car, you are literally throwing that sales tax money away. You won't recoup it upon resale, it's a sunk cost. If you bought a car you hate, you either didn't do the research, or you make bad choices. This car has this potential issue, either you accept it, or you move on. I am going to continue enjoying my car.

All that said, my calculus is a little different from most. I've had a HVJB failure. I'm already on the other side of this. I have the improved B variant HVJB, for about 8k miles. I drive like a bat out of hell. I don't avoid DCFC, and I also have the Software recall done. I'm going to enjoy my car, and hopefully for a long while, without further major problems.

I have some faith that Ford has this figured out by now. People who had their cars built after about the middle of this year shouldn't have anything to worry about. People who have the original HVJB shouldn't worry too much about this, as long as you have the software recall installed, and you don't get a SVS message further than 150 miles or so from home or from a dealership you are willing to have your car serviced at and left at for an undisclosed amount of time.

Last edited:

Madfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N\A
Country flag
Although the Mach e has many fine features, I cannot rely on it to take a trip of several hundred miles to see my relatives. I cannot take the chance of having my car brick. The software update plainly does not adequately resolve this issue. It is untenable that Ford will not properly address this problem. I am going to sell this vehicle and buy something that I can rely on
I wish ford would deliver mine so I can see how unreliable it is. Best of luck

Green Machine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 250, 2022 GT 4, 2021 Mache GT, 2024 Z06
Occupation
Management
Country flag
That seems dramatic.

Green Machine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 250, 2022 GT 4, 2021 Mache GT, 2024 Z06
Occupation
Management
Country flag
My backup car is a ‘17 Honda Accord Hybrid that gets 50 mpg, range is 650 miles. It’s a great car if you’re leaving the EV family. All EV’s have some issues and good luck in the next one.

My ‘21 Premium AWD ER has had no issues in 11 months. It’s a crapshoot. You pulled the short-straw.
They all have issues, but most also have significant benefits. I have had no one problem with the Mach e. not one 12000 miles

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey- look at you. Second post and you are ready to give up. Life must be hell in your world.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I can understand the frustration, I've been there too. My constant headache of dealership issues every time I go in is exhausting and has pushed me to the edge more then once. Also the shear lack of some posters attitudes about why drive any where past 200 or just avoid DC fast chargers is crazy. Not everyone lives in CA or large charging networks. In my use case right now, nothing is interesting to me in my budget to replace the MME so I'm keeping it, I'm not spending +50k on a hyundai or kia either, I'd rather buy a v8 nice new truck and just drive less. But I do have 3 other gas cars so if it bricks I'm not out of luck like some would.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I can understand the frustration, I've been there too. My constant headache of dealership issues every time I go in is exhausting and has pushed me to the edge more then once. Also the shear lack of some posters attitudes about why drive any where past 200 or just avoid DC fast chargers is crazy. Not everyone lives in CA or large charging networks. In my use case right now, nothing is interesting to me in my budget to replace the MME so I'm keeping it, I'm not spending +50k on a hyundai or kia either, I'd rather buy a v8 nice new truck and just drive less. But I do have 3 other gas cars so if it bricks I'm not out of luck like some would.
You have a RWD - I highly doubt you'll have any problems. I exclusively rely on public charging (which means a fair amount of DCFC) and have had zero issues. (ER RWD here)
Sponsored