Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
… HOWEVER, there is a much easier way to retrain the BCM especially if you do not have the Special Tire Pressure Monitor Activation tool. Open the drivers door and turn on the ignition (do not start the car). Press the emergency flasher switch 3 times on and off. The horn will beep once and you will get a message on the center display "Train Left Front Tire". Go to the left front tire and let air out until the horn beeps once. This is usually around 30 lbs. Next go to the Right front and do the same thing, then Right rear and Left rear in that order. After you let the air out of each tire and it reaches around 30 lbs, the horn will beep once. When done, the display will read "Tire Training Complete". Turn off the ignition. …
Had a flat, husband had previously purchased an extra wheel with tire from a Mach-e owner that did a full replacement. Simply swapped them out. Tried retraining the new one by using the manual method above. It will not acknowledge the new wheel. So we just stopped and reinflated all the tires. Was working as you described with the horn blowing … until the right rear tire … the replacement. Any suggestions on how to introduce the car to its new addition? Thanks.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Had a flat, husband had previously purchased an extra wheel with tire from a Mach-e owner that did a full replacement. Simply swapped them out. Tried retraining the new one by using the manual method above. It will not acknowledge the new wheel. So we just stopped and reinflated all the tires. Was working as you described with the horn blowing … until the right rear tire … the replacement. Any suggestions on how to introduce the car to its new addition? Thanks.
Hi Rosie, that is very strange. I have used both genuine Ford TPMS and third party like I am using now a few times on the Mach'E as I have changed the tires several times now and have never had a problem training any of them. Maybe let a little more air out of that tire than the others? I really don't know what to tell you but sometimes tire shops are able to get these things to work with the tools that they have. Keep me updated, thanks.

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
Hi Rosie, that is very strange. I have used both genuine Ford TPMS and third party like I am using now a few times on the Mach'E as I have changed the tires several times now and have never had a problem training any of them. Maybe let a little more air out of that tire than the others? I really don't know what to tell you but sometimes tire shops are able to get these things to work with the tools that they have. Keep me updated, thanks.
Will do, plan on taking the flat to service tomorrow, will see if they can resolve it. Fingers firmly crossed.

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
Just got back from (not really) Quick Lane. On the way there I got a tire sensor failure notification. Doesn’t really surprise me. Anyway, was told the car can only acknowledge four wheels and that I need a special tool to teach the car the new one. Turns out I need a new tire anyway as the screw is on the edge of the sidewall. I left the original wheel there. I can pick it up during the week. They will put it back on and retrain all the wheels. And the “spare” will go back to being a spare. I’m okay with this outcome, and know what to expect the next time. the okay button is my new best friend :D

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Anyway, was told the car can only acknowledge four wheels and that I need a special tool to teach the car the new one.
That makes sense. I bet the car's auto-learn feature is only activated when it loses communication with all 4.

danielespy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME RWD-ER Star White, Ford Fiesta
Country flag
So I've got one of these left over from my previous Mustang:

1618879492467.png

Which was used to train the tires with an identical process to that described above.
Any idea if this will still work on the TPMS sensors in the Mach-E?
Hi Sockmeister,
did you try the TMPS SENSOR TOOL??
It works?

Wallace

First Name
Sandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart
Country flag
Actually this car (and all Ford's I have worked on at least) do not work like this. The TMPS's transmits data wirelessly direct to the BCM. There is nothing in-between those two devices. If you rotate your tires, the BCM needs to relearn what location the tires are in.

Below is from the Mach-E repair manual with an overview of how the TPMS works and detailed instructions on how to retrain the BCM to learn the location of the TPMS's. HOWEVER, there is a much easier way to retrain the BCM especially if you do not have the Special Tire Pressure Monitor Activation tool. Open the drivers door and turn on the ignition (do not start the car). Press the emergency flasher switch 3 times on and off. The horn will beep once and you will get a message on the center display "Train Left Front Tire". Go to the left front tire and let air out until the horn beeps once. This is usually around 30 lbs. Next go to the Right front and do the same thing, then Right rear and Left rear in that order. After you let the air out of each tire and it reaches around 30 lbs, the horn will beep once. When done, the display will read "Tire Training Complete". Turn off the ignition.

Just to make sure the car didn't not recognize which location the tires were in, I switched both front tires around to see if it knew where the tires were. I just got through swapping the front springs out on the car (I will post this in another thread tomorrow) and had not put the tires back on yet. I have 40 in one tire and 32 in the other. The car didn't recognize that I switched the tires.

On another note, I have in the past couple of weeks replaced the tires and wheels on the car a few times with new TPMS's in each set. They are not the OEM Ford TPMS's as I like the short metal stem once rather than rubber. I do not have to train the BCM to recognize the new sensors. As long as they are 315 MHz sensors, it automatically pairs them however you do have to train the BCM to recognize their location as I mentioned above.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.25.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.33.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.34.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.34.57 AM.png
Hi, I just mounted the Winter tires and try to reprogram the TPMS… I don‘t know how to switch on only the ignition. I tried all kind of different ways with opened driver door and 3 times emergency signals ON/OFF, but I never entered into TMPS program mode…
Any help? Thanks

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi, I just mounted the Winter tires and try to reprogram the TPMS… I don‘t know how to switch on only the ignition. I tried all kind of different ways with opened driver door and 3 times emergency signals ON/OFF, but I never entered into TMPS program mode…
Any help? Thanks
Push the Start/Stop button but do not put your foot on the brake. That will turn on the "ignition" (basically everything but starts the car).

Wallace

First Name
Sandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart
Country flag
Push the Start/Stop button but do not put your foot on the brake. That will turn on the "ignition" (basically everything but starts the car).
Thank you very much for your quick reply. That‘s what I‘ve tried several times with no success, maybe the cars in Europe have a different programming.
I‘ll ask my dealer for help, but I‘m not sure, he will have the same level of knowledge as you have…
I‘ll keep you up to date…

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Something must be different with European models. A couple of weeks ago, I had a friend get a new set of wheels with new TPMS and I programmed them just the way I posted above and it worked well so I don't know what to say but I hope your dealer can help you.

Wallace

First Name
Sandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart
Country flag
Something must be different with European models. A couple of weeks ago, I had a friend get a new set of wheels with new TPMS and I programmed them just the way I posted above and it worked well so I don't know what to say but I hope your dealer can help you.
In deed, there is a difference. My dealer said, I only have to reset the tire pressure system and then I'm done.
I did it and everything went well. I did the reset in the car menu (top left)/settings (right tab)/ vehicle / tire pressure system (press and hold the "reset-link". Afterwards I adjusted the tire pressure on each tire one by one to the correct pressure and I checked each time the tire pressure. It showed always the change on the correct tire.
In our user guide (Switzerland) the reset is prescribed as I performed, but I've seen, that the reset is not written in the American user guide.
I have the winter tires on a Ford Rim set, that means I have two complete sets of Ford rims with summer- or winter tires.
So I'm fine now and maybe there will be a reset button in the near future also overseas...
best regards and thanks for the help anyway

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thank you both for your replies. Both contradict each other unfortunately. Issue is that i'm the Netherlands and we only have like 5 MME's which on the road since this week (!) no aftermarket suppliers can't tell me which I need as it's an unknown car to them and the dealers haven't yet provided information on it. They are all "guessing" it should work....

I just have no clue where to look for to get the right sensors which are either working out of the box or are programmable but at least are to function with the MME.
$164 for sensors, valves, and 'activation' tool
https://www.americanmuscle.com/search?keywords=389789&generationId=6&vehicleType=Mustang
Sponsored