Grizzl-E Ventilation Requirement

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I read on both the unit and the manual: "This equipment is intended only for charging vehicles that do not require ventilation during charging." I know there are plenty of people using it just fine, so what exactly does this mean?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I read on both the unit and the manual: "This equipment is intended only for charging vehicles that do not require ventilation during charging." I know there are plenty of people using it just fine, so what exactly does this mean?
Fully electric vehicles don’t produce carbon monoxide. You can run and charge in an enclosed garage without issue. Seems weird that a car would require ventilation to charge.

OP
OP
physib

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Fully electric vehicles don’t produce carbon monoxide. You can run and charge in an enclosed garage without issue.
You need to leave the engine running while you charge a PHEV?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
You need to leave the engine running while you charge a PHEV?
No, but running the gas engine can recharge the battery. It’s a weird disclosure, probably some lawyers that don’t understand how EVs work. Same reason we have warning labels on hairdryers to not use them in the bathtub.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The J1772 standard accommodates vehicles where battery ventilation is required. Some extra circuitry is needed in the EVSE to support this.

I don't know of ANY fully electric vehicle with this requirement, though.

Read more here and elsewhere:

https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/presentations/CleanCitiesWedinarCharging12-15-10.pdf

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ventilation is a remnant of ancient lead-acid battery electric vehicles like the original GM EV1. Lead acids can produce some explosive hydrogen when charging. I believe the standard referenced calls for a ventilation fan to be interlocked to the charger so any hydrogen buildup would be sucked out of the garage, if the fan doesn't operate then the charger has to shut down.
Sponsored