Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I am on my third grizzl-e charger. First one did the dead thing, 2nd one did got caught in endless errors and would not last 5 mins charging the car to then it just beeps red every time it was plugged into the wall.

The current one works most of the time but still regularly throws errors requiring a power cycle.

I have read grizzl-e just have issues playing nice with the Mach-E. I plan on replacing it when we replace my other car to one of those dual plug ones out there but it will not be a grizzl-e.

Ford and grizzl-e just don't play nice it seems. It sucks as I really like the simplicity of the charger and the design.
My Grizzl-e plays well with my 21 MME delivering over 20K miles of charge since installing it.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I am on my third grizzl-e charger. First one did the dead thing, 2nd one did got caught in endless errors and would not last 5 mins charging the car to then it just beeps red every time it was plugged into the wall.

The current one works most of the time but still regularly throws errors requiring a power cycle.

I have read grizzl-e just have issues playing nice with the Mach-E. I plan on replacing it when we replace my other car to one of those dual plug ones out there but it will not be a grizzl-e.

Ford and grizzl-e just don't play nice it seems. It sucks as I really like the simplicity of the charger and the design.
Huge overstatement to say "Ford and grizzl-e just don't play nice..." based on your personal experience.
I have both the Avalanche and Duo (2+ years). Neither one ever has to be reset, just plug in and it works every time.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag

That's quite odd. Have you talked to them about it. United Chargers has been excellent at customer service. Your first one may have been a version 1, and some of the second version had handshake timing issues with the Mach-E. But that was just a software change. What year car and charger?

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Huge overstatement to say "Ford and grizzl-e just don't play nice..." based on your personal experience.
I have both the Avalanche and Duo (2+ years). Neither one ever has to be reset, just plug in and it works every time.
Basing the issue on the not playing nice on the forums and reddit over the past few years. The people with problems have been consitely only Ford's. I have nkt seen issues with grizzl-e with any other manufacturers. Everyone loves them it has just been a ford issue.
That's quite odd. Have you talked to them about it. United Chargers has been excellent at customer service. Your first one may have been a version 1, and some of the second version had handshake timing issues with the Mach-E. But that was just a software change. What year car and charger?

Their support has been great just 3 chargers in a row bothers me. The 3rd one been the best but I have issue trusting it to go more the 30-40% of the battery in a charge.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Basing the issue on the not playing nice on the forums and reddit over the past few years. The people with problems have been consitely only Ford's. I have nkt seen issues with grizzl-e with any other manufacturers. Everyone loves them it has just been a ford issue.
My Sonny Boy's 2020 Audi E-Tron also had a problem with his Grizzl-E. He took it to Audi for a charging module software update... the Audi tech said it happens often since there are now so many EVSE manufacturers with slightly different implementations. His Audi is fine after the dealer software update.

OP
OP
Logal727

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

I donā€™t think thereā€™s evidence of that. So many other issues could be the problem. Plenty of people use Grizzl-E with MME and have no problems. Things break.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I donā€™t think thereā€™s evidence of that. So many other issues could be the problem. Plenty of people use Grizzl-E with MME and have no problems. Things break.
While true. Just for me 3 in a row from a single manufacture is a quick way no matter how good Customer Service is for me to not want to try them again. The 3rd and current one I don't trust it going more than 40% of my car's battery before it errors out on me. I would say at least 1/2 the time when going greater than 40% it errors. before it finishes the charge.

Things break but when you have 3 in a row with only slight improvements between them but the underlying issue is not fix what would you say?
This is why I am very open about it saying when I replace mine it will not be a Grizzl-e.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Sonny Boy's 2020 Audi E-Tron also had a problem with his Grizzl-E. He took it to Audi for a charging module software update... the Audi tech said it happens often since there are now so many EVSE manufacturers with slightly different implementations. His Audi is fine after the dealer software update.
This is a good point. If you have a 2021-2022 MME that is behind on OTA / updates, might want to get those taken care of to improve stability/compatibility with chargers.
I am on the latest for pretty much every module in my '21.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Three year warranty is pretty good. I should be coming to close to year now. Went with the Extreme and got a recent (at the time) build date.

Those using Duo can you use the existing plate mount for the single charger?
Yes you can. It's a simple change out of just pulling the pin and unplugging

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
While true. Just for me 3 in a row from a single manufacture is a quick way no matter how good Customer Service is for me to not want to try them again. The 3rd and current one I don't trust it going more than 40% of my car's battery before it errors out on me. I would say at least 1/2 the time when going greater than 40% it errors. before it finishes the charge.

Things break but when you have 3 in a row with only slight improvements between them but the underlying issue is not fix what would you say?
This is why I am very open about it saying when I replace mine it will not be a Grizzl-e.
Myself, I would question the supply circuit and the car receptacle if there were 3 failures. But I've seen houses burn down from power company faulty voltage regulators.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Myself, I would question the supply circuit and the car receptacle if there were 3 failures. But I've seen houses burn down from power company faulty voltage regulators.
Yep, need to rule out all plausible possibilities before saying definitely "This is the cause".

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
See where I question that is the ford charger has multiple times taken the car from 20% to 90% no issue on the same plug.
The car at other charging outside the home not a problem for the same long runs.
Now I am willing to buy that the 2021 Grizzl-e have issue as that is when you will find the complaints about them failing and error along with no playing nice with Mach-Es. They might of fixed them by now but still.

Hence why I question it as the only common theme in issues is the Grizzl-e charger in my case.

OP
OP
Logal727

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Finally had time to put the new one up and seems to be working fine so far. Looks like they lengthened the power cord by a few inches though so it doesnā€™t fit as nicely as the broken one did where my outlet is, just a bit of a curve to plug it in now, shouldnā€™t be an issue.
Sponsored