GT Performance Edition vs Standard GT worth it?

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
my other vehicle is a tuned Miata and this car takes road turns at surprisingly similar speeds than the Miata, sometimes even faster. The Miata has a completely different road feel (less than 2500lb) but considering the GTPE weighs twice as much I think ford did a great job. The Miata is not a fast car but itā€™s unmatched in giving the illusion of speed.
Now I know youā€™re lying
Sponsored

Studly

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350, Bronco, Bronco Sport
Occupation
Lake Geneva Ziplines and Adventures Managing Director
Country flag
Like others who have weighed in here, I purchased the 23 GTPE over the GT based upon the wheels and magneride.
As few have stated, I purchased the GT over the PE based on the wheels, summer tires, seats and $6k. I'm sure mangia ride is Gouda, but I would not deal with (for me) less comfy seats, slightly more torque and slightly less implied range. I'm happy. Glad they build both.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As few have stated, I purchased the GT over the PE based on the wheels, summer tires, seats and $6k. I'm sure mangia ride is Gouda, but I would not deal with (for me) less comfy seats, slightly more torque and slightly less implied range. I'm happy. Glad they build both.
I LOVED the bolstered racing seats of my Mach-E GTPE and the MagneRide in Unbridled mode was awesome on the track. The negatives from Premium to GTPE outweigh the positives though.

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
I LOVED the bolstered racing seats of my Mach-E GTPE and the MagneRide in Unbridled mode was awesome on the track. The negatives from Premium to GTPE outweigh the positives though.
What Negatives?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
What Negatives?
5-second limitation (GT and GT-PE undocumented feature). šŸ˜•šŸ©

More likely to blow the HVBJB if manufactured before June of 2022. šŸ˜±šŸ©

Price. šŸ¤”šŸ©

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Yeah, the 80 to 120+ acceleration is gutless. My F150 will beat the GTPE to 120mph, and it's got no power adders, just a tune / limiter removal.

The MME will also no longer 1 pedal at those speeds. Braking doesn't seem to come back in until 80 mph or so.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What Negatives?
1) Unbridled Extend mode is...how do I say this nicely. A random grab bag of "will it work?" or "Will it trigger a Service Now Soon error"? (that's just a software glitch). Just don't track the GTPE like I did. Waste of time. 5200lbs makes it one of the heaviest cars around and handles like one too. You have to disable/reduce the traction + stability control like in UE mode on the track or it drives like stinky butt.

2) Whisper and Engaged modes have terrible bouncy suspension. Could not drive in it on local roads.

3) Range and efficiency are awful. 230 miles on the highway. My Premium can easily get 3.3-3.6 mi/kWh. I was seeing 2.6 mi/kWh on the GTPE. 3.0 only if drove like a granny.

4) Unbridled mode had great suspension but the throttle mapping was unusable on slow speed driving. I'd sneeze and touch the pedal and the car jerked forward. Ford needs to have suspension and throttle mapping separated.

I don't care about the 5 second limit at all... because with the broken Unbridled Extend mode who can even track this car to drive it hard for more than 5 seconds.

Positives:

The seats were wonderful. The interior was definitely a step above the Premium. The wheels looked fantastic and the tires were sweet (very grippy). A premium sport car for sure... but a fake track car.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
I have never driven a regular mustang or camero or dodge viper which are all domestic muscle cars but I own and have driven performance German sports cars. So I donā€™t view my Mach E GTas a sports car. When I ordered it originally I thought about it being a sports car but once I learned all about the 5s limit and wimpy acceleration past 90mph I just settled it into a daily driver commuter car. I admit I drive it a bit like a granny because I do worry about the HVBJB and my wife hates it for the bouncy ride. Overall I am glad I used ford Options and honestly it costs like half what a high end performance car costs so I donā€™t really mind it. As a daily commuter I like it. But once my ford options is over I am not so sure I will be coming back to Ford. But I am open. Minded and will give them a shot at my 2026 purchase. One thing for sure however, I will 100% replace it with a BEV and I will expect the next one to have better performance specs all the way up to 120mph

SaintPaulMustangMach-E_GT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT Manager
Country flag
I have the standard GT, and perhaps the Magneride Suspension was undersold to me.
I live in Saint Paul, MN and to say we have bad roads is an understatement.
Driving around, my only complaint is the suspension, is the Magneride Suspension that much better?
Sometimes the harmonic of the poor roads seems to overwhelm the suspension, and it just starts bouncing. I've followed behind another Mach-E and noticed him vibrating as well, it's not just my car.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
my other vehicle is a tuned Miata and this car takes road turns at surprisingly similar speeds than the Miata, sometimes even faster. The Miata has a completely different road feel (less than 2500lb) but considering the GTPE weighs twice as much I think ford did a great job. The Miata is not a fast car but itā€™s unmatched in giving the illusion of speed.
100% truth.

Light Weight + Rear Wheel Drive + Manual Transmission = 100% pure joy.

Now I know youā€™re lying
I owned a Subaru BRZ for 6 years and I can 100% confirm that they're telling the truth. While my MME GT is pretty nice the BRZ offers a significantly more engaging and exhilarating driving experience. It's not even close.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Youā€™re not missing a single thing with the PE except the cognitive dissonance that comes with itā€™s purchase
You seem to be on a personal mission to bash the PE with every opportunity possible.

Did mag ride run over your pet cat or something?

Such an odd battle to choose to fight on what seems like a daily basis.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I test drove the Macan (a few years ago, canā€™t remember the trim) and found it underwhelming in terms of power and a very small backseat. The GTPE is more comparable with the X3M but have not test driven that. Never found the GLC attractive.
Having driven a 2015 Macan S, no way was it underwhelming. Yes it does does have a small backseat but it never bothered me. If you found it underwhelming is was probably a 4 cylinder version Which I can understand. Lighter engine and handles a bit differently.

I have not driven a GTPE so tough to compare but I would find it hard to believe if it handles as well as the Macan. Pure speed is not everything. GTPE is probably faster in a straightaway but Macan has higher top speed, no 5 second issue and can take a turn as well or better than any CUV.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Having driven a 2015 Macan S, no way was it underwhelming. Yes it does does have a small backseat but it never bothered me. If you found it underwhelming is was probably a 4 cylinder version Which I can understand. Lighter engine and handles a bit differently.

I have not driven a GTPE so tough to compare but I would find it hard to believe if it handles as well as the Macan. Pure speed is not everything. GTPE is probably faster in a straightaway but Macan has higher top speed, no 5 second issue and can take a turn as well or better than any CUV.
The MagneRide suspension is excellent. Zero body roll when turning and the bolstered seats also help too.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The MagneRide suspension is excellent. Zero body roll when turning and the bolstered seats also help too.
Is it as good as the Porsche Active Suspension (PASM) and 18 ways seats.

Porsche can map transmission separately from suspension. I donā€™t believe you can do that on the GTPE.

again not having driven the GTPE I canā€™t definitively say the Macan is better and not trying to disparage the MME, but having driven Porsches and Fords, I would bet on Porsche. of course the Macan is more expensive but not sure how much more anymore.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Is it as good as the Porsche Active Suspension (PASM) and 18 ways seats.

Porsche can map transmission separately from suspension. I donā€™t believe you can do that on the GTPE.

again not having driven the GTPE I canā€™t definitively say the Macan is better and not trying to disparage the MME, but having driven Porsches and Fords, I would bet on Porsche. of course the Macan is more expensive but not sure how much more anymore.
No, It's not as nice as Porsche system, but it's also 5k all in. Whereas Porsche charge you 500$ just for color wheel center cap (No exacerbation).
Sponsored