[Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access)

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
When I did mine, I wanted to make sure I still saw the "+" symbol on the panel
This kinda begs the question, why did Ford put those symbols on the plastic cover if they didn't provide any access to them? I suppose they could help find the battery jump points if you don't know where to look, but since you have to remove that cover, the symbols are gone when you're looking. Having access ports that are labled + and - makes perfect sense, but the labels without access don't make any sense to me.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This kinda begs the question, why did Ford put those symbols on the plastic cover if they didn't provide any access to them? I suppose they could help find the battery jump points if you don't know where to look, but since you have to remove that cover, the symbols are gone when you're looking. Having access ports that are labled + and - makes perfect sense, but the labels without access don't make any sense to me.
1000% agree and I was thinking the exact same thing. NOW ... in the bumper there's the battery leads. I just have no confirmation that these will work in the same way that the jump points work for the purpose of performing updates and preventing the car from sleeping. You would think that if Ford wanted that to be more obvious about that, they would have done this differently

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) 1635777413372

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1000% agree and I was thinking the exact same thing. NOW ... in the bumper there's the battery leads. I just have no confirmation that these will work in the same way that the jump points work for the purpose of performing updates and preventing the car from sleeping. You would think that if Ford wanted that to be more obvious about that, they would have done this differently

1635777413372.png
They don't. The only thing those leads do is pop open the frunk if your 12v battery is dead. Once you get the frunk open, you still have to get to the normal jump points to deal with your dead battery. If your battery isn't dead, those leads don't do anything, unfortunately.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Fantastic solution.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
They don't. The only thing those leads do is pop open the frunk if your 12v battery is dead. One you get the frunk open, you still have to get to the normal jump points to deal with your dead battery.
See and that's not even clear, in my opinion... but now that you pointed it out I guess you're right and that makes a lot of sense... But the + and - still don't make sense without reasonable access.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
See and that's not even clear, in my opinion... but now that you pointed it out I guess you're right and that makes a lot of sense... But the + and - still don't make sense without reasonable access.
Yup, the only explanation I can think of is that Ford originally planned on providing access ports but then later scrapped the idea and just never removed the labels. It would have been so much better if they just had those bumper leads directly connected to the jump points. That still would allow you to get into the frunk when the 12v battery is dead, but also give you so much more.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Yup, the only explanation I can think of is that Ford originally planned on providing access ports but then later scrapped the idea and just never removed the labels. It would have been so much better if they just had those bumper leads directly connected to the jump points. That still would allow you to get into the frunk when the 12v battery is dead, but also give you so much more.
That's what I'm thinking too. Just make the wires in the bumper connect to the jump points. When I first saw them I thought "oh that's brilliant!" Then discovered that they only open the frunk, and then you have to fight with those damn panels and clips just to get to the jump points...."oh that's not brilliant, it's overly complicated".
Is there some sort of safety or security issue that would have made them design it in such a roundabout way?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there some sort of safety or security issue that would have made them design it in such a roundabout way?
There probably would be a safety concern if those bumper leads were live since they're just loose in there. But that could easily be solved by putting covers on them and having clips to hold them and keep them from touching each other.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
There probably would be a safety concern if those bumper leads were live since they're just loose in there. But that could easily be solved by putting covers on them and having clips to hold them and keep them from touching each other.
Right, and they don't have to be loose leads. The hole in the front bumper could just expose jump points...but maybe it would have to be too big for that. I guess I'm just irritated with all the damn plastic covers and cheap clips.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Last edited:

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
They don't. The only thing those leads do is pop open the frunk if your 12v battery is dead. Once you get the frunk open, you still have to get to the normal jump points to deal with your dead battery. If your battery isn't dead, those leads don't do anything, unfortunately.
Does that mean any bad guy with a jump battery can open my frunk?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Does that mean any bad guy with a jump battery can open my frunk?
I would think it would just provide the power, the frunk would still have to be opened via the lever.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would think it would just provide the power, the frunk would still have to be opened via the lever.
Nope. Those leads actually don't provide power to the car, so you can't open the door to get to the lever. When you apply 12v to the leads, the frunk will pop open (if your LVB is dead). Then you have to hook the jump box to the battery leads under the hood to get power to the car to open the door. The whole thing is rather silly.
Sponsored