JSAlexVa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
It has been stated that hands free driving will be available some time after roll out. Do you think this will be a free update or will it be at a cost like Tesla? I’m actually satisfied with the features on the Premium package so hands free will depend on any proposed cost. I have tried it with a friend’s Tesla when she was provided it for free for two weeks and it was ok but not worth the extra $$$. My current VW has park assist and that’s good enough for me (along with the other safety features) so self driving is not a priority. Just wondering how this will be deployed.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Don't know. My guesses, though: free OTA update enables capability, requires sensor bar hardware on "Co-Pilot 360 Technology" package (on most but not all MMEs), limited to whitelisted interstate highways, slowly expanded coverage over time.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I would think it would be a free update. Since it already has lane centering and adaptive cruise control, the only upgrade seems to be that you don’t have to keep a hand on the wheel. Why pay extra for that?

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
I'm fairly certain that during the reveal the software engineering lead said it would be a free update, but I could be mistaken.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
@TheBluf, can you find it in there? I thought I recalled Jim Hackett stating that hands free driving would arrive as an OTA update in 2021, but now I can't seem to find it in the reveal video. Also, I don't remember them ever using the word "free" when discussing this. I'm expecting/hoping it to be free, though.

There have been several different interviews with high level Ford employees stating that hands free driving capability was coming, but none of them have discussed pricing, to my recollection.

Ericc B

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT Fastback (a real Mustang)
Country flag
What do you mean exactly with handsfree driving? That can be anything in the spectrum between lane assist and feature complete autonomous operation, with the latter being about 5 zillion times more complex than the first.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I finally found the hands-free driving statement from the 11/17 world reveal. No mention of pricing. At 24:38 in the video, Ted Cannis speaking:

And, with secure, over-the-air software updates, you'll be able to upgrade your Mach-E over time with the latest product and performance enhancements, including hands-free driving capability.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Don't get your hopes up. Ford and VW has partnered with Argo Al for self driving technology. This is being tested in multiple cities including 35 miles from my Pa. home in Pittsburgh. Yes, Ford vehicles driving the real streets of the city but with a driver behind the wheel to take over as needed. Ford's CEO has in the recent past admitted a limited roll out of this feature in 2022. As for Tesla, it does not have this capability despite the CEO boosting in 2017 a Model S would soon drive itself across the country. If you go to this link: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...and-current-model-3-sensor-suite-ever.193564/ you can read thoughts from real Tesla owners about this subject.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Don't get your hopes up. Ford and VW has partnered with Argo Al for self driving technology. This is being tested in multiple cities including 35 miles from my Pa. home in Pittsburgh. Yes, Ford vehicles driving the real streets of the city but with a driver behind the wheel to take over as needed. Ford's CEO has in the recent past admitted a limited roll out of this feature in 2022. As for Tesla, it does not have this capability despite the CEO boosting in 2017 a Model S would soon drive itself across the country. If you go to this link: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...and-current-model-3-sensor-suite-ever.193564/ you can read thoughts from real Tesla owners about this subject.
Don't get our hopes up regarding what? You're talking about Argo AI's efforts towards self-driving research, hardware, and software, I think? But this thread was about hands free highway driving in the Mustang Mach-E.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid has adaptive cruise control with auto steer with noise and dash lights appearing if you don't keep you hands on the wheel after 10 seconds. Works well even if the right white line is missing.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Or they're looking for more funding from their customers to pay for the R&D
I'm really confused why somebody would pay Tesla $7-$8k years in advance (if ever) of being able to legally use "truly FSD".
Sponsored