Hands free liftgate option

• Thread starter Deleted member 5939
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Deleted member 5939

I brought my PREMIUM trim machE in for its 10k mile service and also asked them to look at the hands free liftgate since it has never worked for me. After about an hour with the car they came back and told me the reason it doesn't work is because it's not installed. Started asking when I bought it and how early in the production it was. It shouldn't matter as it's been listed standard since day 1 on the PREMIUM trim. Let's see if they get it installed for me or if this will be a debate.
Sponsored

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I brought my PREMIUM trim machE in for its 10k mile service and also asked them to look at the hands free liftgate since it has never worked for me. After about an hour with the car they came back and told me the reason it doesn't work is because it's not installed. Started asking when I bought it and how early in the production it was. It shouldn't matter as it's been listed standard since day 1 on the PREMIUM trim. Let's see if they get it installed for me or if this will be a debate.
This is disconcerting. If I ever even get to order one, wait 8 months and finally take delivery, then I'll have to go through every feature to make sure it's actually installed...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I believe you are correct. Standard on every Premium. Is there a button on your fob for the power liftgate? How about the SYNC screen. Tap the car, then Access. Do you have a button there to open and close?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5939

I believe you are correct. Standard on every Premium. Is there a button on your fob for the power liftgate? How about the SYNC screen. Tap the car, then Access. Do you have a button there to open and close?
The power lift gate works, it's the hands free feature that doesn't a d it has been verified that the sensors and modules are not there. Now they call Ford and see what to do next. At least I can stop trying to dance behind the cat trying to get it to work.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This explains a lot. I hope they get it resolved.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The power lift gate works, it's the hands free feature that doesn't a d it has been verified that the sensors and modules are not there. Now they call Ford and see what to do next. At least I can stop trying to dance behind the cat trying to get it to work.
If you don't mind.....send me a private message with your VIN and I can verify if what you are being told is the truth. It's very very very difficult for something like this to happen. Actually, almost impossible. But, never say never I guess..... ?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So, mine works, but it usually takes me about 25 tries before it will open or close. I haven't figured out yet if its not detecting the key enough to activate, or if its not detecting the foot motion. Its very annoying and I pretty much gave up trying to use that feature.

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hands free works and sometimes it doesn't not sure why. It appears buggy to me. I'll stand there and kick and eventually just give up and use the button.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
FYI… granted this was back in Feb and probably one of the first ones my dealer got, but all the kings ponies and men couldn’t get the bugger to open until one of the guys did some sort of funny kick swipe. So I hope perhaps yours is there and they just don’t know how to operate it… I hope. I know now that you don’t have to do it that way (quick forward kick does it) but it does tend to be temperamental.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The build data shows that all the parts were installed (as best as I can tell by comparing to my car's build data)

I think the issue is related to the PaaK recall that was performed earlier this month. The self test performed after the RFA update failed and they should have investigated further but I don't see that they did anything. It just looks like they gave you back your car knowing it failed the self test. Not cool. Yes, it says there is a problem with the power liftgate input sensor but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I suppose anything is possible but really quite unlikely the factory would neglect to install the parts.

I recommend you try opening the hatch with your remote. Two quick presses.
If that works then try opening from inside the car on the Sync Screen (touch the car and then enter the Access tab). Mine opens with one touch most times but sometimes I have to hit it twice. I think you need to be in P for it to work though.....

If both those work then stand behind the car and put your foot under the car in a straight motion directly under the reverse light. Foot straight in and then straight out. Don't wave it around because that can confuse it.

My guess is it won't work and that is because the PaaK update didn't load correctly. The car will have to go back to a dealership so they can diagnose further. Make them show you the print out from Oasis that shows what codes they pulled and what they did about it. Your car should pass the self test before they give it back to you.

Hope this helps.

olobley

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD LR (Space White), F150 XLT
Occupation
Product Line Owner
Country flag
I've not had great success using PaaK with the handsfree, but if I have the fob in my pocket it works flawlessly. It's a straight in-out motion basically right under the center point of the vehicle. If you wave your foot side/side it seems to ignore it. FWIW, kids putting skis on seems to trigger it every.single.time. causing it to close (repeatedly) on my head ? - my kids learned at least three new words this way

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I've not had great success using PaaK with the handsfree, but if I have the fob in my pocket it works flawlessly. It's a straight in-out motion basically right under the center point of the vehicle. If you wave your foot side/side it seems to ignore it. FWIW, kids putting skis on seems to trigger it every.single.time. causing it to close (repeatedly) on my head ? - my kids learned at least three new words this way
Works for me as long as I have a FOB in my pocket! Nice feature to have when both hands are full!!

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
Works for me and I only use the fob. I have never set up PAAK on my GT. Yes; be in the center and move in and out slowly. Too fast and it does not work.

Shirlevee

First Name
Shirley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2020 F150, 2007 Saturn Sky, Jeeps
Country flag
Glad to see I'm not the only one having issues. I look like I'm having a temper tantrum fake kicking my car.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hmm. I do wonder if the PAAK update may have affected this. Mine has been worse lately and I did get the PAAK update done in August.
Sponsored