Help me decide: Mach-E or Model Y

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[*]Performance. The Model Y base model does 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, and comes with AWD standard. The Mach-E RWD model I ordered does it in 6.1. Yes, I could upgrade to the AWD model and achieve 4.8, but this is an extra $2.7K. (Aside, I actually prefer the longer range and cheaper price which is why I’m not upgrading the Mach-E.)
Add on the $2000 acceleration on the Y Long Range and it's faster in the quarter mile than the GT & GTPE (12.2 @ 113 mph vs 12.4 @103 mph).
I still haven't seen any Premiums post 4.8 numbers. Most I've seen are 5.1-5.6. If acceleration is higher on your priority list, Tesla wins easily.

Interior noise is a bit higher in the Y, but the sound system is very good, so you'll put it to use.

Phone as a key. Ford Paak is hit or miss. Tesla's version works more reliably.

How close is the nearest Tesla delivery or service center? You won't need it often, but it's inconvenient if something does require a visit and it's not close.
Sponsored

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Tesla has more electric car experience, so that’s a plus. The $7500 tax break would be the deal breaker if you like saving money with the Mache. personally, I felt the mache was the most comfortable of the two, and the more quiet ride. try writing down the most important things for you. Go from there making the choice.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
I don't see $7,500 mentioned anywhere, or is it irrelevant for OP?
Oh believe me, this is very relevant to the decision. I will be purchasing the car in 2022, at which time congress may have reinstated the $7500 tax credit for Tesla. If both companies get the same credit, the decision is still a wash. Congress is also considering a $12,000 tax credit for Ford because it is unionized, which again would make this decision a lot easier. If Ford has the credit but Tesla doesn't, I will probably go with the Ford. If the Ford has the credit but the Tesla is available now and the Ford isn't there for another 3 months, I don't know... (We're getting a new car so our daughter can get a hand-me-down and drive herself to school, so sooner is better. She'll get her license a few months from now.) Still, the decision isn't purely financial. I want to love this car.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Pretty much everything is subjective except for DC Fast Charging. If road trips are important to you then Tesla is really your only choice.

The CCS network is predominantly Electrify America and exists as punishment to VW for "diesel-gate". As such, there is very little incentive for EA to maintain it and there is reason to believe they went as cheap as possible when constructing those sites. Tesla has incentive to maintain the Supercharger network so that means they have a compelling argument for picking the Model Y.

If the build quality and user interface of the Model Y is satisfactory to you and you want to increase your chances of a pleasant road trip experience then the Tesla is your best choice.

If you enjoy a vehicle that is well designed and easy on the eyes and has a great driving experience then then Mach-E is a good choice. I find the Mach-E to be the only viable choice for me because I don't like Teslas appearance inside or out. I also find them to be very noisy compared to the Mach-E and the range doesn't appear to be as good. And since road tripping is a very very rare scenario for me....the sub-par DCFC network isn't as big of a concern to me.

Good luck with your choice. The pros and cons seem sell placed IMO...

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Oh believe me, this is very relevant to the decision. I will be purchasing the car in 2022, at which time congress may have reinstated the $7500 tax credit for Tesla. If both companies get the same credit, the decision is still a wash. Congress is also considering a $12,000 tax credit for Ford because it is unionized, which again would make this decision a lot easier. If Ford has the credit but Tesla doesn't, I will probably go with the Ford. If the Ford has the credit but the Tesla is available now and the Ford isn't there for another 3 months, I don't know... (We're getting a new car so our daughter can get a hand-me-down and drive herself to school, so sooner is better. She'll get her license a few months from now.) Still, the decision isn't purely financial. I want to love this car.
I apologize for my question, and also for deleting it - I missed that you've mentioned tax credit in your initial post.
It is hard to predict what the Congress will come up with, but I personally think that EV rebates are pretty high on the list of "to be cut" from the bill, or limited significantly based on income.
My advice (I know it doesn't mean much) - go for love, not money :) I.e. my 23 year old son loved MME, but would prefer M3 for himself.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Add on the $2000 acceleration on the Y Long Range and it's faster in the quarter mile than the GT & GTPE (12.2 @ 113 mph vs 12.4 @103 mph).
I still haven't seen any Premiums post 4.8 numbers. Most I've seen are 5.1-5.6. If acceleration is higher on your priority list, Tesla wins easily.

Interior noise is a bit higher in the Y, but the sound system is very good, so you'll put it to use.

Phone as a key. Ford Paak is hit or miss. Tesla's version works more reliably.

How close is the nearest Tesla delivery or service center? You won't need it often, but it's inconvenient if something does require a visit and it's not close.
Really good feedback, thanks! Acceleration is important because it's fun, but it isn't top on my list. I could spend the extra $2.7K for the AWD on the Mach-E and get (on paper) equivalent 0-60 in 4.8 sec, though it sounds like they might not actually be equivalent. I am not spending that because I prefer the extra range and cheaper price. Still... the extra acceleration is nice. My daughter was impressed when I drove her in the Model Y, and we're lucky we didn't get a ticket!

The interior noise is a consideration, though I do wonder if that becomes more noticeable in an EV where one doesn't hear all the engine noise. Still, I ought to go back and compare again.

Phone as key... I think I'll just by an extra FOB for the Ford. Hopefully future software updates will make this a nonissue.

And Tesla delivery and service center... I live in the SF Bay Area, about 10 miles from the Fremont factory. Service shouldn't be an issue for the MY. These cars are everywhere, which is a point against them in my calculus.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pretty much everything is subjective except for DC Fast Charging. If road trips are important to you then Tesla is really your only choice.

The CCS network is predominantly Electrify America and exists as punishment to VW for "diesel-gate". As such, there is very little incentive for EA to maintain it and there is reason to believe they went as cheap as possible when constructing those sites. Tesla has incentive to maintain the Supercharger network so that means they have a compelling argument for picking the Model Y.

If the build quality and user interface of the Model Y is satisfactory to you and you want to increase your chances of a pleasant road trip experience then the Tesla is your best choice.

If you enjoy a vehicle that is well designed and easy on the eyes and has a great driving experience then then Mach-E is a good choice. I find the Mach-E to be the only viable choice for me because I don't like Teslas appearance inside or out. I also find them to be very noisy compared to the Mach-E and the range doesn't appear to be as good. And since road tripping is a very very rare scenario for me....the sub-par DCFC network isn't as big of a concern to me.

Good luck with your choice. The pros and cons seem sell placed IMO...
Thanks for the perspective. Personally, I want to make the decision on the car, not the charging network. But I can't get around the fact that it is a factor. I mentioned this to my Mach-E salesman, and he pulled out a Tesla supercharger adapter from his desk drawer and said the Mach-E could use Tesla superchargers. So doesn't that make it a nonissue? I haven't looked into it so I don't know if he was blowing smoke. For my own personally use, 99% of my charging will be at home to go back and forth to work and occasional drives in the SF Bay Area. We do have two other gas powered cars still available for long road trips, though I would certainly like to take the EV for a long trip if practical.

Old Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E EX, RW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When you buy a Tesla you’re buying Elon Musk. I think the man is an idiot savant but if you trust him, which I think is a mistake, Tesla is your choice. I don’t.

Tesla is far in advance of Ford in the software area, which is a critical issue on EVs. I dislike the Tesla dashboard with nothing on it and having to use the screen to open the glove compartment I think is stupid. But on the other hand a lot of Ford’s software works only intermittently. There are also issues of the rebate and access to dealers. The latter is not always Ford’s strong point since many of them haven’t a clue about EVs and some of them are crooks. Finally if you need it quickly, go with Tesla. I don’t expect my 10.1 2021 Mach E order to be available until April 2022.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
IMO it comes down to personal preference. I cannot stand the interior of the MY, and the Ford interior is very good. Also while I am not someone who hates the exterior appearance of the MY, I think the MME looks a lot better. And I have a Ford dealership 4 miles from my house. The MME is a great car, but there are attributes the MY has that are superior. You decide.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
he pulled out a Tesla supercharger adapter from his desk drawer and said the Mach-E could use Tesla superchargers
No.

The adapter allows him to use most of the Tesla home/destination chargers. It does not work with Superchargers (it does not support DC fast charging or Tesla's billing mechanism).

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Advantage Tesla Model Y
  • Known reliability. Tesla has been making EVs for a while now, and has straightened out a lot of early production issues. Ford is just getting started, so there are likely to be a lot more issues for the first few years. Will a 2022 Mach-E be as reliable as a 2022 Model Y? What will the difference in cost of ownership be in 10 years?
  • Polished UI. The touchscreen is really snappy, whereas the Mach-E touchscreen is sluggish. The Tesla software seems a little more refined too.
  • Supercharger network. I have a lot more confidence that I won’t get stranded on long trips.
  • Joy of driving. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos of people testing these two cars side by side and stating they enjoy driving the Tesla more, especially comparing the one pedal driving. Granted most of these people are Tesla owners, but not all. I have taken a test drive in both, and Tesla even gave me an overnight test drive. I will admit, the Tesla did feel a bit more responsive on the pedal, though it wasn't a huge difference.
  • Performance. The Model Y base model does 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds, and comes with AWD standard. The Mach-E RWD model I ordered does it in 6.1. Yes, I could upgrade to the AWD model and achieve 4.8, but this is an extra $2.7K. (Aside, I actually prefer the longer range and cheaper price which is why I’m not upgrading the Mach-E.)
  • Cargo capacity. 68 cu ft vs 60 doesn’t seem like much, but it could make the difference. I am choosing a hatchback for a reason: I want to carry things.
  • Autopilot. As of today, Tesla’s autopilot is more capable than Ford’s version. Ford is still developing theirs, so this could change. I have no interest in FSD.
I think your lists pretty much nailed it. But I’ll offer just a few caveats:
1. The Mach E has a quieter cabin and a cushier ride.
2. The Mach E handling is better than the MY. I can’t tell you exactly why - maybe it’s that the MY steering wheel is significantly smaller. But I did not like the handling as well and I think you’ll agree when you drive them both.
3. MY software and charging network ARE better. But these are areas where Ford can at least hypothetically catch up. I expect Ford is catch up pretty quickly re charging network. Software is gonna take a lot longer. Factor that into your decision making.
4. You SHOULD pay extra for the AWD. The acceleration difference is noticeable. The drop is range is not. In fact I’m getting closer to 300 miles on a charge with my AWD Ext.
5. You can’t get a MY in Grabber Blue. It will never turn heads like a MME.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
IMO it comes down to personal preference. I cannot stand the interior of the MY, and the Ford interior is very good. Also while I am not someone who hates the exterior appearance of the MY, I think the MME looks a lot better. And I have a Ford dealership 4 miles from my house. The MME is a great car, but there are attributes the MY has that are superior. You decide.
Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Closet Tesla dealer/service is over an hour away. Ford dealership is 2 miles from my house. I prefer the physical buttons/switches of the MME for general functions, but also having a large center display and a display right in front of you on the dash. Things like having to go into the touchscreen to open the glovebox or turn on the heated seats in the back seats is just meh.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Gah sorry, in addition to my items above, a couple more things:
1. Don’t buy into the published cargo capacity numbers. They’re bunk. Both have ample capacity. Some tests have found the MME to have more - it all depends on what luggage (or banana boxes) you are testing with.
2. Haven’t priced them in a few months, but when I last compared the MME AWD Ext to the MYLR, the MME was 3-5k cheaper depending upon paint. That’s a lot of money. The lack of a 7500 tax credit makes a big difference.

Essentially, there are three reasons you should choose the MY:
1. Superior software is really important to you.
2. Having the best DCFC network now, as opposed to 1-2yrs from now, is really important to you.
3. “Owning a Tesla” is really important to you.

Not judging any of these, btw. But for me the MME won easily on points because those three things were not massively important to me.

But you WILL be frustrated by SYNC and the glacial pace of Ford’s “software development.”

Last edited:

ScottMcCool

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium AWD ER MME
Country flag
Advantage Ford Mach-E
  • Paint and color. I ordered the Grabber Blue and love this color! I would almost buy the car just for the color. The Tesla looks good in white, but I don’t think is as much a head turner. Also, I’ve heard credible stories of lower paint quality control on the Tesla, including orange peeling, dust nibs, swirl marks, and more susceptibility to chipping. That last one is a particular concern, as a good paint job shouldn’t easily chip
I own a Tesla Model Y in white. The bumpers (plastic) and rest of the body (metal) are different shades of white. Yes, technically ever white car will show difference in the paint on the metal and the bumper (I forget the technical name for the reason), but it is worse and well known on the Tesla.
When I picked up my Tesla, I asked about that and the Tesla person told me to accept delivery of the car and then put in a ticket to get it fixed. I accepted delivery, made the soonest appointment I could which ended up being 6 weeks away and when I finally brought it in, Tesla said it was "within spec"
Sponsored