OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
You may want to consider editing your original post with the solution. Would save others time from having to wade thru 4 pages of post to find the solution like I did this morning... :)
Great suggestion; done!

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I would be surprised if they offer any discount.
Agreed! Especially since we've already heard stories on this forum of dealers adding up to $5000 or $10000 ADM. Granted those are brand new 0 mile MMEs, but still.

I bet there will be no discount.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, did the dealer mention what sort of discount they would give to these test drive vehicles with 4,000 miles on them?
No mention of any discount. Although to be fair I didn't discuss purchasing this vehicle with them too much as I already have one on order and I think I'd rather have the Infinite Blue that I ordered over Rapid Red...maybe

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Just to be perfectly sure-we hold both of these two buttons in unison for 10 seconds to perform a reset of the Sync 4a system?

2C374889-EC7F-4044-9288-F07D20989110.jpeg
Yep, exactly. The volume key on the steering wheel is actually a rocker, so just push it to the volume down position and hold that right arrow key for 10 seconds.

There was another user here that was having a different issue, but related to Sync/the touchscreen and this reset seemed to help them too. So this might be quite a handy thing to remember!

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
That's kind of interesting, did they say what is considered the start date for the 60 days? Is it the delivery date to the dealer?

Also, I wonder if they got the 60 days wrong, or if the rules changed. This older article (Aug, 20) says minimum 4 months before they can sell a first FCTP Mach-E: FORD MUSTANG MACH-E DELIVERIES TO BEGIN IN DECEMBER
I originally asked if it was 4000 miles or 4 months and the dealer said yes, and then he came back later and said it's actually only 60 days or 4000 miles. So I'm not sure if it changed, but he specifically came back and said 60 days.

I'd be interested to know if others have heard similar from other dealers.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Yep, exactly. The volume key on the steering wheel is actually a rocker, so just push it to the volume down position and hold that right arrow key for 10 seconds.

There was another user here that was having a different issue, but related to Sync/the touchscreen and this reset seemed to help them too. So this might be quite a handy thing to remember!
This seems to be equal to CTRL ALT DEL

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
I originally asked if it was 4000 miles or 4 months and the dealer said yes, and then he came back later and said it's actually only 60 days or 4000 miles. So I'm not sure if it changed, but he specifically came back and said 60 days.

I'd be interested to know if others have heard similar from other dealers.
My dealer mentioned 60 days before they could sell theirs as well.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
THANK YOU! This fixed it!!

I tried volume down + LEFT to try and enter the diagnostics screen, but volume down + RIGHT does a soft reset of Sync and the touchscreen!!
I see you have a Samsung S20. Are you able to charge it with the USB port and access Android Auto? Mine kept rebooting and I read its a known issue with that phone. I sent it back to samsung today to see if I can get a new one or another model. I want to be able to use AA, it doesn't work with wirelss AA either.

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I see you have a Samsung S20. Are you able to charge it with the USB port and access Android Auto? Mine kept rebooting and I read its a known issue with that phone. I sent it back to samsung today to see if I can get a new one or another model. I want to be able to use AA, it doesn't work with wirelss AA either.
So I have an S21+, but my partner has an S20. We were able to connect his to wireless AA and it worked. I didn't connect mine. I've read lots of people on the forum were/are having problems.

When I get my MME I'm not sure if I'm going to use AA or just pair phone via Bluetooth and use the car navigation and Sync...

This will be my first time owning a Ford made after 1992, so I'm not sure how well the Sync system will work.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, did the dealer mention what sort of discount they would give to these test drive vehicles with 4,000 miles on them?
If a dealer orders a stock vehicle for inventory, they effectively 'buy' the car from Ford and put it on their lot for sale to a customer.

An FCTP demo car is special... The dealer doesn't 'buy' the car when it is sent to them. It is 'allocated' to them (it is not available to any dealer ... just the one who received it) but they don't 'buy' it (not yet). Ford sends the car to the dealer for purpose of promoting the car (it is a demo car to help promote sale of more cars).

Since the car is technically still owned by Ford but 'allocated' to the dealer (and not yet purchased), Ford controls the rules for how the car can be used and when it can be made available for sale. Typically this will be either some number of miles or some amount of time (whichever comes first).

Once the car achieves either threshold (e.g. lets say it's the 4000 mile point), the car can finally be made available for sale. But at this point it is a 'used' car. It wouldn't be fair to demand the same compensation as a 'new' car.

Since the car isn't 'new' it may need to be cleaned up. Ford will discount the car for the dealer based on mileage on the car. They will also give the dealer some allowance to put it in like-new condition.

The dealer then effectively 'buys' the car for something less than they would pay if it were actually a 'new' car. But at this point the car becomes the property of the dealer and the dealer may put it up for sale for any amount they want.

But the dealer will not likely have much luck finding a consumer willing to pay the same price for a car with 4000 miles on it as they would be willing to pay for a car with 4 miles on it.

So while the dealer isn't forced to discount the car, the dealer did get that car from Ford at a discount, and will certainly need to offer some discount to a buyer. But that discount is up to the dealer and no longer controlled by Ford.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But the dealer will not likely have much luck finding a consumer willing to pay the same price for a car with 4000 miles on it as they would be willing to pay for a car with 4 miles on it.

So while the dealer isn't forced to discount the car, the dealer did get that car from Ford at a discount, and will certainly need to offer some discount to a buyer. But that discount is up to the dealer and no longer controlled by Ford.
I'll throw one extra factor in there... It could depend some on availability. It's possible that demand could remain higher than supply of MMEs for many months. If that's the case, market price for MMEs actually available on a dealer lot for same-day purchase could be above MSRP (thus why some of those are now selling with ADM). If that's still the case in 4 months when some FCTPs can be sold, it's possible some dealers will try to get full MSRP due to the added value of being able to buy it same-day rather than ordering and waiting months.

D-Generation_Bets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape; Ford Mach-E
Country flag
[SOLVED!}
The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!
[/QUOTE]

I picked up my Mach-E (First Edition) yesterday, and have been experiencing the black screen as well. It's been intermittent; it's happened 4 times in the 2 days I've owned it. And when it goes out, it's completely random when it comes back on. I tried the volume down + right arrow trick, but no luck.

As soon as it happened again, I drove back to the dealership today (Sunday) with touchscreen black just to make sure I wasn't on crazy pills and so that they could help document. I'll assume they can get it fixed.

While annoying, at least it gave me a test of whether I'm f*c*ed when the touchscreen goes out:
SAFE - separate levers; not controlled by touchscreen
- Lights - knob; High beam - lever
- [EDIT] - Defrost - there's a max defrost in the same group of buttons as headlights
- windshield wipers - separate lever;
- Speed gauge - separate screen above steering wheel
- Sensor - cross traffic; blind spot monitoring - all worked with touch screen out of commission

Potential Danger: seems to only controlled by touchscreen
- Starting car if you only have phone - I need to test this again. I've been brining the key fob with me since I'm still a little suspect of the consistency of phone as a key. (I have a Galaxy S9)
- [EDIT] Defrost - if it's really cold, you're going to be doing old-school wiping with your hand.

Big Inconvenience
- AC / Heater - [EDIT to elaborate further] - system is on to the last temperature you had it set. So I guess if you had the climate control the last time you drove, it's just a minor inconvenience. But if you had climate control off the last time, and let's say it's now really cold, that would be a major inconvenience.

Minor inconvenience
- Heated seats, steering wheel (lol, obviously a first world people problem. Similar to AC/Heater, prob heats to your last setting if you had it on)
- phone, sound system. (Obviously we all have smart phones)

Last edited:
OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I picked up my Mach-E (First Edition) yesterday, and have been experiencing the black screen as well. It's been intermittent; it's happened 4 times in the 2 days I've owned it. And when it goes out, it's completely random when it comes back on. I tried the volume down + right arrow trick, but no luck.
That sucks!! I'm sorry to hear that it isn't working for you. I found I had to hold it down longer than I expected. I'm sure you have been, but make sure you hold it down long enough.

There were a lot of people in this thread mentioning fuses and to try and pull one of the terminals of the 12V temporarily to do a hard Sync reset, so maybe those are options for you?

Potential Danger: seems to only controlled by touchscreen
- Starting car if you only have phone - I need to test this again. I've been brining the key fob with me since I'm still a little suspect of the consistency of phone as a key. (I have a Galaxy S9)
- Defrost - if it's really cold, you're going to be doing old-school wiping with your hand.
So there actually is a max defrost option on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (I know I've seen a pic of the area on here before). So you should be able to defrost even with the screen off.

Minor inconvenience
- Heated seats, steering wheel
- phone, sound system. (Obviously we all have smart phones)
So I found that when my screen was inoperable it reset the steering wheel and seat heat to the last setting (which fortunately for me was both on).
Sponsored