HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!]

D-Generation_Bets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape; Ford Mach-E
Country flag
That sucks!! I'm sorry to hear that it isn't working for you. I found I had to hold it down longer than I expected. I'm sure you have been, but make sure you hold it down long enough.

There were a lot of people in this thread mentioning fuses and to try and pull one of the terminals of the 12V temporarily to do a hard Sync reset, so maybe those are options for you?
Yeah, for volume and arrow button combo I tried a bunch of times.
For fuse -I'm going to let the dealership take the first stab, and then if it is indeed fuse, I'll shadow them and report back.

FromV8toMach-E

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E and Mustang GT (V8)
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Screen blacked out on me today before an important drive. I did not have time to diagnose and correct, so I returned home and took another family car. Came home later and fixed it as per y'alls advice (with the volume drive/forward song function buttons) - THANKS!!!, but sure we all agree this should not be necessary.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Screen blacked out on me today before an important drive. I did not have time to diagnose and correct, so I returned home and took another family car. Came home later and fixed it as per y'alls advice (with the volume drive/forward song function buttons) - THANKS!!!, but sure we all agree this should not be necessary.
Yeah and may future patches will reduce the frequency.

Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Extended Range
Country flag
Updated: SOLVED!

Solution: The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!

Original post

I have tried searching the forum and I can't find anything, but have any new owners had any issues with the touch screen going completely black and becoming unresponsive?

I have a loaner car for the day and when playing around with various settings the screen froze and went completely black! Nothing I do will get it to turn back on.

The strangest thing though is that when I put the car in reverse the backup cam comes on the screen just like normal. When I go to then switch gears to drive or some other gear it goes back to black.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any Ford engineers on here that can tell me how to reset the screen??

[SOLVED!}
The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!
The reset always works for me when the screen goes blank but some days I’m having to do it four of five times. It started even before I drove off the dealers lot!!
sometimes have to hold the buttons for maybe 20 seconds for it to reset.

jimbobiii

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue ER AWD MME, Model 3
Country flag
Had this happen to me today. Was on a call and got out and when I got back the screen was down like described here. Didn’t know the reset

Drove home and parked at home for half an hour and when I came back out all was well.

Rotting Piñata

First Name
Adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon hybrid
Country flag
Drove to a friend's house today and the screen worked fine. When I drove home an hour later, the center screen wasn't working. You could tell it was on (it had a faint glow to it) and the buttons worked. I pushed the radio on/off button and then pushed where the mustang should have been at the topleft (the car chimed as if it was a valid selection). I tried turning the car on and off and that didn't do anything. When I got home, I searched the forum and found this thread. Went back out to try the button reset, but everything just started working on its own. Very weird. If it happens again, I'll try the steering wheel button reset.

I am hoping that was my only glitch and this doesn't become a recurring problem.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Had a center screen problem when DC charging, solved with reboot:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
My center console went black for the second time yesterday. Both times it happened after I had parked outside facing south for an hour or so.... and both times the cabin temp was 'not bad', but the back of the console (facing the sun) was uncomfortably hot to the touch. I'd guess 115+ deg F.

MME started and ran fine.... console, including radio power button were black. Console FUNCTIONED to touch, but display was black.

This is a big problem, not just a pain.... There are plenty of times when PAAK doesn't work for me, and I have to enter BackupStartCode; won't be possible on a completely black screen!

My bet is that the console has a temp sensor like any computer and is shutting down the display above some set temp.

solutions might be:
- ALWAYS put a sunshade up if parked facing South-ish
- a white fabric/foam cover on backside instead of black
- console internal fans auto-on at 100 degF/venting at top to circulate cabin air
- auto-on cabin cooling when/if cabin hits 100 deg F

so.... anybody know where we can submit 'bugs' directly to Ford yet?

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The reset always works for me when the screen goes blank but some days I’m having to do it four of five times. It started even before I drove off the dealers lot!!
sometimes have to hold the buttons for maybe 20 seconds for it to reset.
My bet is this is temperature-related.....
does this happen to you after you are parked for a while maybe facing the sun, or driving south with the sun beating on the back of the console?

It has happened 2x with me, both times parked facing south of a hour or so.

....try putting a temp shade on back of console and see if it happens any more?!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Has anyone had to reset the screen more than once?
yes

I've had it happen twice. both when parked facing south for an hour or two.
....my best guess is temp related display shutdown at this point.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Updated: SOLVED!

Solution: The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!

Original post

I have tried searching the forum and I can't find anything, but have any new owners had any issues with the touch screen going completely black and becoming unresponsive?

I have a loaner car for the day and when playing around with various settings the screen froze and went completely black! Nothing I do will get it to turn back on.

The strangest thing though is that when I put the car in reverse the backup cam comes on the screen just like normal. When I go to then switch gears to drive or some other gear it goes back to black.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any Ford engineers on here that can tell me how to reset the screen??

[SOLVED!}
The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!
Thanks for tip, just happened to me for the first time when I when to start the car.

Phoney

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Extended Range
Country flag
My bet is this is temperature-related.....
does this happen to you after you are parked for a while maybe facing the sun, or driving south with the sun beating on the back of the console?

It has happened 2x with me, both times parked facing south of a hour or so.

....try putting a temp shade on back of console and see if it happens any more?!
It’s random. It’s about 40% of the time that it doesn’t start. And that’s regardless of being parked in the garage or being outdoors in the sun. Luckily the reset always works, but it is becoming more and more annoying. The dealer says there are no further updates available!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It’s random. It’s about 40% of the time that it doesn’t start. And that’s regardless of being parked in the garage or being outdoors in the sun. Luckily the reset always works, but it is becoming more and more annoying. The dealer says there are no further updates available!

This behavior is not random for me.... it is absolutely repeatable.
If I park outside facing south for more than an hour or so, the center console display temp gets hot enough to prevent coming 'on' when I start the car.

whether or not the display responds to Sync4 reset and comes on does not fix the root cause, which I am increasingly sure is simply temperature related.

I ran a test today....
a. pulled MME out of the garage, parked facing south at 10am, turned off
air temp about 60 deg, winds about 15mph SSW
b. went back at 1pm, started MME, center console BLACK

cabin temp of dash in shade = 108
center display = 135
inside windsheild surface = 150

==========
can anyone else repeat this test?
and happen to have a FLIR or other way to measure surface temps?
...possibly important note is that I have infinite blue MME, and back of display is BLACK.
==========

So, I would advise using a Sunshade when parked outside if you are facing South, and hope that Ford considers a design change for 2022, and maybe some 'snap-on' retrofit to give to 2021 owners to protect the back of the display from direct sun exposure.

I would not consider this issue [SOLVED] until I can park in the sun facing south, and the display works when I start the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!] 20210416_BlackCenterConsole

Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!] flir_cabin108

Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!] flir_TopOfConsole135

Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!] flir_WindshieldSurface150

Last edited: