Home Charging Options

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
We were looking at the JuiceBox 40. It's probably a better overall option for less cost, but we couldn't find any information about warrantee impacts using a non-OEM charger.

I presume there is nothing to worry about, but it is our first EV. So, we went with OEM.
There is zero impact on you vehicle warranty by using a different brand EVSE. Ironically, you'll get much better support from a company that's in the business of making EVSEs (ChargePoint, JuiceBox, Wallbox, etc.) than you will from Ford since they really don't know anything about the EVSE that they slap their name on.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Correct. Ford support is awful on the chargers.

As to upgrading your box, make sure you get more than one estimate. I got 1/2 dozen. One said we HAD to put in a 2nd meter (false). One said we needed a load shedding device (false). Another said we needed a subpanel (false). Correct answer was put in 1/2 height breakers, but my box can't take them. So, 4 lighting circuits were combined to 2, opening up space for the 60amp breaker. Inspector approved it ahead of time. 200amp service, and we don't come close to using it.

OP
OP
Darauk

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I figured the OEM charging station wasn’t a must. Thanks for confirming. It’s also good (bad) to know that Ford doesn’t support their chargers as well. I’ll stick with my gut next time and get a JuiceBox or similar.

The electrician we use is someone we’ve been doing business with for nearly 20 years. They are a good company, and offered three options (adjust existing box, add auxiliary box, or replace the box with an upgraded box). They explained the pros and cons of each option.

I’m happy with the electrician but having a bit of buyers remorse on the Ford charger. :)

Julio

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e gt
Country flag
I’m new to the forum and I just got a 2021 Mach E GT, would like to know the groups thought on best home EVSE. I had an electrician install a 220v outlet running on its own 40amp breaker and I’m using the Ford mobile that came with car. Would like to change to a 50amp breaker to charge faster as with ford mobile it takes 6+ hours to go from 45% to 90%.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m new to the forum and I just got a 2021 Mach E GT, would like to know the groups thought on best home EVSE. I had an electrician install a 220v outlet running on its own 40amp breaker and I’m using the Ford mobile that came with car. Would like to change to a 50amp breaker to charge faster as with ford mobile it takes 6+ hours to go from 45% to 90%.
First, you need to determine whether the wiring can handle a 50amp breaker. That would allow you to use a 40amp charger, instead of your current 30 amp charger.

I'm a big fan of JuiceBox chargers.

Julio

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e gt
Country flag
First, you need to determine whether the wiring can handle a 50amp breaker. That would allow you to use a 40amp charger, instead of your current 30 amp charger.

I'm a big fan of JuiceBox chargers.
electrician said that the circuit can hold a 50amp breaker. Any specific juice box, seeing 40amp and 48amp options?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
electrician said that the circuit can hold a 50amp breaker. Any specific juice box, seeing 40amp and 48amp options?
A 50amp breaker means you cannot go higher than a 40amp charger.

40 x 1.25 = 50.

A 48amp charger would require a 60amp breaker, the wiring to support it, and be hardwired.

Julio

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e gt
Country flag
A 50amp breaker means you cannot go higher than a 40amp charger.

40 x 1.25 = 50.

A 48amp charger would require a 60amp breaker, the wiring to support it, and be hardwired.
Thank you for the feed back, much appreciated

JimG

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the Chargepoint HomeFlex hardwired with 60 amp breaker but have been very happy using it to draw 40 amps rather than 48 (was concerned at the louder noise at 48 and never bothered to get a TSB update to fix this). Not sure what I will do though if we get a second EV (cord length may be too short to share the charger, and am used to plugging it in all the time in the garage).
What wire size did you use, #6 or #4 with your 60 amp breaker?

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
@RickMachE
You mentioned the load shed wasn't required - 2 different electricians I spoke to suggested to put it on the loadshed, not from the perspective that you couldn't charge while on generator - but rather to not overload the startup on the generator - now this is on a whole house system with an auto transfer switch -

I'm curious why you say it is in't needed

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@RickMachE
You mentioned the load shed wasn't required - 2 different electricians I spoke to suggested to put it on the loadshed, not from the perspective that you couldn't charge while on generator - but rather to not overload the startup on the generator - now this is on a whole house system with an auto transfer switch -

I'm curious why you say it is in't needed
First, I got the generator over a year after getting the EVSE wired in.

Second, I have 200amp service. Our major electrical loads are the double oven (we rarely use both), and the A/C systems. We aren't coming close to 200amps. Even if you added the EV in, we aren't.

The EV only charges at night, and is set to 32amps currently. IF we had an outage, and IF I needed to charge, I can use my brain and set it to lower amps IF it's dead of summer and IF the A/C is running. However, I wouldn't be charging and running both A/Cs and cooking in two ovens.

Overnight, when the car was charging, the ovens would not be on and the downstairs AC would be on 77 and not running here in SE Michigan.

So, I never get anywhere near the capacity of my 22kW (19kW with natural gas) generator. Not even close.

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
@RickMachE
That makes sense to me - I have the 22kW as well - my setup is slightly different being in South Florida - right now I have my stove and main AC unit on the load shed as that is what was needed based on the load calculation - I have the Juicebox 40 via my electric company so I can't adjust it as they have an overlay on the app.

So from this based on your setup and how you described it sounds correct for you - but for mine while it may not be required it probably is a good thing to do

BGEJr

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mache GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bought it on amazon a while back (was more expensive)--They same one now is $85
Just joined the forum. I installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage connected to a 220V-50a breaker. I used the 14-50 receptacle HD sells… looks identical, UL rated, how is it different from the Hubble brand unit? No issues so far except with the Ford EVSE… just replaced under warranty (amber light). Going to purchase either the JuiceBox or Chargepoint for regular use.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just joined the forum. I installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage connected to a 220V-50a breaker. I used the 14-50 receptacle HD sells… looks identical, UL rated, how is it different from the Hubble brand unit? No issues so far except with the Ford EVSE… just replaced under warranty (amber light). Going to purchase either the JuiceBox or Chargepoint for regular use.
The Home Depot outlet won't hold up over time. If you have good connections and leave the charger plugged in, it may last, or may not. Some have melted. That's one reason I hardwired, second reason was to get the JB48 instead of a 40.
Sponsored