Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Yes true, thanks for correcting me. There are wide range priced similar products depending on quality
Folks considering an EVSE at home should really view this video on the topic and consider only using industrial grade 14-50 outlets if you don't get a hard wired unit.
Sponsored

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just read this about the feature for power sharing with other Tesla chargers. Apparently it only does this sharing with other Gen 3 wall connectors, not the OEM EVSE that comes with the Tesla:

Power sharing is a firmware feature that allows up to six Gen 3 Wall Connectors to share power and charge multiple vehicles at once. Charge power is intelligently distributed across multiple Wall Connectors to minimize charge time for each vehicle and increase energy throughput, while always ensuring that limits imposed by the individual electrical installation are not exceeded.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
OP
OP
Darauk

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
After discussing with me wife, we settled on the hard-wired 48A Ford charger. We discussed having OEM equipment would be best for our first time EV.

Thank you all for the advice, especially the electrician advice.

Last edited:

BTRYPWRDPONY

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE GTPE DMG
Country flag
You might want to watch this video in which the experienced electrician said that EVSEs should be mounted to a fire rated wall and not exposed studs.
Things have changed since that pic---installed fire retardant insulation and drywall. Thanks for the heads up though. Also just so happens I am using a Hubble outlet ($119.00) and I will not charge all the time. But again thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Things have changed since that pic---installed fire retardant insulation and drywall. Thanks for the heads up though. Also just so happens I am using a Hubble outlet ($119.00) and I will not charge all the time. But again thanks for the heads up.
De nada. Good to hear about installing fire retardant insulation/drywall.

Where did you get the Industrial rated Hubble outlet for $119? I've seen them on Amazon for $85.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I used to recommend the ChargePoint Flex, but now suggest staying away from it. I switched from the Juicebox 40 (original one we got in 2016) to the ChargePoint Flex, and was happy with it for a couple weeks. Then they removed the feature to adjust amperage from the app and made it where you have to call them so they can change it remotely.

I don't intend to adjust amperage a bunch, but have solar so being able to adjust it down on lower production days was a killer feature that they just removed without saying anything. I only found out when I was trying to figure out where it went and found a Reddit thread about it.

So don't support companies that just without word remove features from expensive devices like this. Who knows what else they will strip away.

The hardware itself is fantastic, which somehow makes it even worse because I was so much happier with the ChargePoint app over the Juicebox app. Until they made that change.
ChargePoint moved it to a different app, so you can still update the rate of charge, if you need.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
ChargePoint moved it to a different app, so you can still update the rate of charge, if you need.
The only other app I see is ChargePoint Service Pro, but any time I try to log in it gives some nondescript error code (1022_s) and nothing happens.

If there is another app let me know. It seems to just indicate you can only set the amperage at initial set up, at least in the app description. Have you actually used this to change amperage on an existing install? Assuming it isn't a different app that is.

Edit:
I got in on the pro app by creating an entirely new account, and then had to pull the plug on my Chargepoint and plug it back in and wait a minute or so then it connected by Bluetooth. It just took me through the initial set up and only let me define if I had a 50 or 40 amp breaker. Didn't let me select from a list of ideal amperage settings for the EVSE to max out to. And I have to go through the pull the plug operation and set up again it seems to switch back to 50 if I set it to 40.

Hopefully you know of another app, this doesn't seem like much of an improvement, but if I want to run 32 amp at least I have a way to set it to that if I don't want to change it for a while.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The only other app I see is ChargePoint Service Pro, but any time I try to log in it gives some nondescript error code (1022_s) and nothing happens.

If there is another app let me know. It seems to just indicate you can only set the amperage at initial set up, at least in the app description. Have you actually used this to change amperage on an existing install? Assuming it isn't a different app that is.

Edit:
I got in on the pro app by creating an entirely new account, and then had to pull the plug on my Chargepoint and plug it back in and wait a minute or so then it connected by Bluetooth. It just took me through the initial set up and only let me define if I had a 50 or 40 amp breaker. Didn't let me select from a list of ideal amperage settings for the EVSE to max out to. And I have to go through the pull the plug operation and set up again it seems to switch back to 50 if I set it to 40.

Hopefully you know of another app, this doesn't seem like much of an improvement, but if I want to run 32 amp at least I have a way to set it to that if I don't want to change it for a while.
I was able to select different breakers. Down to 20A, if I remember. I did reset the charger on the main App.

MarcoZ619

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustan V6
Country flag
After discussing with me wife, we settled on the hard-wired 48A Ford charger. We discussed having OEM equipment would be best for our first time EV.

Thank you all for the advice, especially the electrician advice.
Did you already get it installed? I'm also considering the sames ones you were.

OP
OP
Darauk

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Did you already get it installed? I'm also considering the sames ones you were.
Not yet. The electrician came out yesterday to scope the job. My breaker box is full and needs to be upgraded.

Ford hasn't shipped it as far as I can tell. There's very little detail on the charger shipping (vs. accessories, which give you a FedEx tracking number, etc.).

Ironically, the car might just arrive before the charger gets installed.

OP
OP
Darauk

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
There are better options for less money.
We were looking at the JuiceBox 40. It's probably a better overall option for less cost, but we couldn't find any information about warrantee impacts using a non-OEM charger.

I presume there is nothing to worry about, but it is our first EV. So, we went with OEM.
Sponsored