Edgardk

First Name
Edgard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti QX80, Ford Escape hybrid, MME Premium 4x
Country flag
Alright everyone, I think I am 100% confident that the issue is solely with the car and NOTHING to do with a problem with my electric, EVSE or outlet. The dealer just left my house in another Mach-E. We pulled them side by side and mine wouldn’t charge and everyone time we plugged into the Mach-E he brought over it worked 100% of the time. They are going to starting talking to the Ford Field Engineer to start working with Ford’s Mach-E team. The issue is that these dealerships and Ford Field engineers are clueless on troubleshooting the cars. Ford has totally dropped the ball at effectively training their dealer network on servicing and troubleshooting this car. At least we are narrowing down the issue to my physical car. The other two Mach-E owners in this forum should assume the issue is with the car and not their homes electric or the 240V outlet.
I’ll keep everyone updated as this now is moving to strictly a Ford issue to fix. I am not concerned as I know one way or another Ford will make it right.
Thank you for the update. Actually I came to the same conclusion and most probably a software issue since I’m still able to charge it. I did send all the info to my dealer. Hopefully Ford can fix this issue soon.
Sponsored

cmmd

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWi3, Nissan Leaf
Country flag
While my problem is less severe than yours, it adds further evidence the problem is with the car. I have a professionally installed Siemens VersiCharge Universal. For the last two years, it has worked seamlessly and without incident with both a BMWi3 and a Nissan Leaf. We still have the leaf parked side by side with the Mach-E, so can confirm there's no problem with our EVSE.

The Mach-E charge pad is definitely not behaving as planned when plugged into the VersiCharge. When it's plugged in, the ring lights on the charge pad flash white for several seconds, then go completely dark, and won't come back on. Several seconds later, a humming sound begins, but there's no other indication on the charge pad or in the car that the charge is happening.

After several minutes, the FordPass app shows that charging is taking place. That said, the VersiCharge operates at a relatively slow 7.7kw max charge rate, and the Mach-E will only draw at 65% of that--about 5kw/hour. (Neither of our other cars showed this problem in two years of use.) The charging indicator within FordPass identifies the charging source as "ACbasic".

So, like I said, it is charging, but only slowly and without any indication of charge activity, or even connection, on the chargepad. At minimum, it is not operating in the way Ford's materials (including the charge port label) say it should.

My car was built on 1/7, so I asked the dealership to ensure the 21B02 update was done before I took delivery. They told me the necessary updates would be performed, but no way of verifying that.

Last edited:

tkompass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford F150 2008 Audi A8L 2021
Occupation
Auto shop owner
Country flag
Alright everyone, I think I am 100% confident that the issue is solely with the car and NOTHING to do with a problem with my electric, EVSE or outlet. The dealer just left my house in another Mach-E. We pulled them side by side and mine wouldn’t charge and everyone time we plugged into the Mach-E he brought over it worked 100% of the time. They are going to starting talking to the Ford Field Engineer to start working with Ford’s Mach-E team. The issue is that these dealerships and Ford Field engineers are clueless on troubleshooting the cars. Ford has totally dropped the ball at effectively training their dealer network on servicing and troubleshooting this car. At least we are narrowing down the issue to my physical car. The other two Mach-E owners in this forum should assume the issue is with the car and not their homes electric or the 240V outlet.
I’ll keep everyone updated as this now is moving to strictly a Ford issue to fix. I am not concerned as I know one way or another Ford will make it right.
That would seem right. I'm thinking it is my car as well.

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening? I can't live with L1 charging at home.
Hello neighbor. Out of curiosity, is there a GFCI, within your panel or in between your panel and outlet where you charge?

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
Can the OP change the topic thread to Mach-E L2 Home Charger issues? I think that better explains our issue since I have been testing multiple chargers with my MME. I have made a lot of progress with minimal results but I think I figured out the issue is WITH THE CAR.

1). 240V Nema 1450 Outlet
+Been successfully charging my Tesla Model 3 for two years with no issues at all.
+On 2/25 trained EV Electrician has confirmed that the 240V outlet tests fine at the plug. It is on a 50-amp breaker and includes red/black hot and white netural (6 gauge cable) and a green ground with 10 gauge. Everything also tested perfect at the breaker panel. Again, I have had NO issue with other vehicles.

2). Tested both a Juice Box Pro 40 (previous gen) and the included Ford Mobile Charger with the NEMA 1450 adapter
+When connected to the car, within 2 seconds an audible click can be heard from the charger (especially on the Ford Mobile Charger and when it first connected to the car a very tiny red LED on Ford Mobile Charger with Blue LEDS is seen and after a split second it turns all blue).
+Charging Port on vehicle shows white LEDs ring lit up based on the charge level. After about 30 seconds, charge port LEDs turn off.
+With doors locked and car off, no charge is passing through the 240V (works fine for 110)
+Through the Sync infotainment sytem in the car and Ford Pass App, location is set to manual charge when plugged in.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. If I power on the car, it starts to charge with the 240V but only at less then 2 Amps and less then 1 (KW). If I stay in the car now, it keeps charging at this snail pass rate (which is an issue). However, once I exit the car, after a 15-30 seconds it drops back down to 0 currents. Same is true if I unplug and replug the charger when outside the car. It is like the MME internal charger is telling the chargers not to charge when given an L2 charge. I find it really hard to believe this is an issue with my electric. I am going to the dealer tomorrow but thinking there is an issue with the onboard charging. I believe it is a software issue versus a hardware issue but who knows!
Hmmm. I'm in the cold weather with you. Our T-MS starts charging quicker than the F-MME. Have you factored in the cold weather? The MME appears to take more time pre-conditioniung in cold weather. Does your Mach-E start charging normally, at some point?

Last edited:

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Hmmm. I'm in the cold weather with you. Our T-MS starts charging quicker than the F-MME. Have you factored in the cold weather? The MME appears to take more time pre-conditioniung in cold weather. Does your Mach-E charge start charging normally, at some point?
Nope. It’s the car. 100% confident now. I just sent Ron Heiser (Chief Mach-E engineer) a LinkedIn message with the details. I also told him there are two other people with the same problem and we are all with build dates around 12/17. Hopefully he responds but I am not a patient person and don’t want to be beholden to my dealer. I want to go straight to the source. Although my dealer has been nothing but ultra responsive. They just don’t have the right tools to know how to diagnose or fix the issue without the MME team getting involved.

tkompass

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford F150 2008 Audi A8L 2021
Occupation
Auto shop owner
Country flag
Nope. It’s the car. 100% confident now. I just sent Ron Heiser (Chief Mach-E engineer) a LinkedIn message with the details. I also told him there are two other people with the same problem and we are all with build dates around 12/17. Hopefully he responds but I am not a patient person and don’t want to be beholden to my dealer. I want to go straight to the source. Although my dealer has been nothing but ultra responsive. They just don’t have the right tools to know how to diagnose or fix the issue without the MME team getting involved.
Brad its strange that you, me, edgardk, and jparduhn70 all have this problem and we are all in Illinois. I'm up in the northern Chicago suburbs. I'm brining my chargers to my shop in Skokie tomorrow to see if it charges there but I severely doubt it will. My build date said 01/07/21 on the Fordtracker site but my door Vin sticker says 12/20.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brad its strange that you, me, edgardk, and jparduhn70 all have this problem and we are all in Illinois. I'm up in the northern Chicago suburbs. I'm brining my chargers to my shop in Skokie tomorrow to see if it charges there but I severely doubt it will. My build date said 01/07/21 on the Fordtracker site but my door Vin sticker says 12/20.
Sounds good. I am hoping that I get a follow up from someone on the Mach-E team. I found some other people on LinkedIn with Ford titles that show they are on the Mach-E engineering team. I’ll wait a day before I try emailing more people. I live in Prospect Heights but purchased from Fair Oaks in Naperville. Fair Oaks was the one out here this morning verifying that the other Mach-E was able to charge at my house. They are also following up with the Ford Field engineer but my salesman told me even the field engineers are first figuring out the car. If I hear back, it would be helpful if we all share our VINS with them, as it may help them troubleshoot. I’ll be back in touch.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Hello neighbor. Out of curiosity, is there a GFCI, within your panel or in between your panel and outlet where you charge?
No, there’s no GFCI on the circuit. I swapped the 50A breaker for one and it didn’t make any difference, so I took it out to save the $100 and because it wasn’t required for code in my older home.

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds good. I am hoping that I get a follow up from someone on the Mach-E team. I found some other people on LinkedIn with Ford titles that show they are on the Mach-E engineering team. I’ll wait a day before I try emailing more people. I live in Prospect Heights but purchased from Fair Oaks in Naperville. Fair Oaks was the one out here this morning verifying that the other Mach-E was able to charge at my house. They are also following up with the Ford Field engineer but my salesman told me even the field engineers are first figuring out the car. If I hear back, it would be helpful if we all share our VINS with them, as it may help them troubleshoot. I’ll be back in touch.
Funny you mentioned that you got yours at Fair Oaks. They’re five minutes away from me and I called them Friday night asking them if they could stop by with a vehicle to test my charger. That’s where I’ve been going to plug in every few days to get more than 3 miles of charge per hour. They said they didn’t and would let me know when they did. I have been underwhelmed at the help with this issue so far. Looks like I’ll be paying them a visit in the morning to escalate this with Ford engineering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Out of curiosity, is anyone seeing a ‘charge settings conflict’ message on their display when stopping your car at your home? I’m wondering if this may be contributing to this issue.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny you mentioned that you got yours at Fair Oaks. They’re five minutes away from me and I called them Friday night asking them if they could stop by with a vehicle to test my charger. That’s where I’ve been going to plug in every few days to get more than 3 miles of charge per hour. They said they didn’t and would let me know when they did. I have been underwhelmed at the help with this issue so far. Looks like I’ll be paying them a visit in the morning to escalate this with Ford engineering.
So are you having the same problems as me with not being able to charge at home? If so, PM me and we can chat. Is that where you bought your car too?

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So are you having the same problems as me with not being able to charge at home? If so, PM me and we can chat. Is that where you bought your car too?
I bought mine in Michigan after finding out my order would have the front plate bracket installed. Can’t charge at home on 240V at all. This charge setting conflict when I get back from places has me suspicious.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Guys, if I can’t charge at home, the car is going back to the dealer until it works! Seriously.
Sponsored