How do you keep the traction control off?

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Convertible, Expedition, Mach e
Country flag
Had a problem today in the deep Wisconsin snow. One side of the car was in a deep swath of snow and the other side was on ice. The MachE would not move. I have a awd extended range battery First Edition. I could not turn off the traction control. So two tires just spun. Shoveled out front, rear and even some from underneath the bottom of the car. Still could not budge the car. A neighbor had a F350 Diesel and a tow strap which we hooked around the front right wish bone. He eased the strap back with the truck idling and the MachE just eased out of the high spot with almost no effort. But the question remains? Why canā€™t you shut off Traction Control? Is there something wrong with my car ?
Sponsored

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Did you turn off the traction control from the screen?
I have a GT that has a physical button for TC. So not sure where itā€™s at on the screen.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Why couldn't you turn it off? Or are you saying you don't know how?

tbrumleve

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium eAWD Standard Range
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E How do you keep the traction control off? 1705380956500

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Ford F150
Occupation
Software
Country flag
My two Fords work by pressing and holding the traction control button to turn off advance track and then press it to turn off traction control. So to turn it all off, press the button once, then press again and hold. All should be off then, but be careful because once it gets sliding it wonā€™t stop.

OP
OP

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why couldn't you turn it off? Or are you saying you don't know how?
I donā€™t have a button on my 21 First Edition. There is a toggle switch on the screen but it wonā€™t stay in the off/greyed out position. You can flick it off but it comes right back on.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My two Fords work by pressing and holding the traction control button to turn off advance track and then press it to turn off traction control. So to turn it all off, press the button once, then press again and hold. All should be off then, but be careful because once it gets sliding it wonā€™t stop.
Correct. Pushing the traction control button turns traction control on/off. Pushing and holding for 5 seconds will also turn off stability control.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why couldn't you turn it off? Or are you saying you don't know how? I think I know how. There is a toggle switch on the screen; but it wonā€™t stay in the off position. It returns immediately to the blue on position.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I donā€™t have a button on my 21 First Edition. There is a toggle switch on the screen but it wonā€™t stay in the off/greyed out position. You can flick it off but it comes right back on.
You don't happen to have "My Key" set up on the fob you are using do you? If so, there is an option in the My Key settings to keep traction control always on.

OP
OP

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You don't happen to have "My Key" set up on the fob you are using do you? If so, there is an option in the My Key settings to keep traction control always on.
No I donā€™t have my key set up. I donā€™t even carry the fob. Never had a problem with PAAK.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do they all have the button? I could swear it was only the GT, at least back in 2021-2022. Right?
I believe starting with '21 Job 2's they all had the traction control button.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In the repair manual, there are several things that will keep the traction control for turning on/off. Most have to do with slight issues with the ABS system but it may not be enough to activate the ABS warning light in the IPC. I would check to see if you have any DTC's and if so post them and we can look up the possible issue.

OP
OP

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the repair manual, there are several things that will keep the traction control for turning on/off. Most have to do with slight issues with the ABS system but it may not be enough to activate the ABS warning light in the IPC. I would check to see if you have any DTC's and if so post them and we can look up the possible issue.
Ok thanks I have to take it in for the HVBJB recall once they have the parts. I never had a problem but mine is in the early build job 1 class. So I will have the dealer go through the whole thing.

Rtj

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retireed
Country flag
I had that issue with my early built 2021 premium and after a lot of testing / checking and the dealer having to get Ford Technical Service involved found out there was a coding error in the software. They wrote a software patch for it and the issue was finally fixed.
Sponsored