How long do you plan to keep your Mach E?

PVQ

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Country flag
One of the reasons I find electric cars are so appealing is because the motors are expected to last somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 miles. That means that the maintenance costs are basically restricted to the brakes and tires and of course batteries. I’m expecting that the car is upgradable and I should be able to get a cheaper, better battery battery when replacement is indicated. If that’s the case I Will keep the car a very long time. If not it will get traded away when necessary.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I keep em for a long time... or at least try to.

Had a 2003 Santa Fe for 13 years, durning that time I leased a 2013 Fiat 500e (3 years) as I wasn't sure how the electric would do for me. Finally got the Mrs here and needed a car with better than ~90 mile range, however the Santa Fe had sat for a few years at school parking and I ended up donating it to Habit for Humanity and Leased a Tucson (3 Years) waiting on the new 2019 Hyundai KonaEV we bought and planned keeping for at least 8 years, but unreliable/buggy/dangerous led us to Lemon Law it after 2 years. We are hoping to keep the Mach E for ~8 years as well. The Mrs is learning to drive with it (doing much better) but would like a smaller car eventually.

And I'll be giving up my driver's license in about 2 years due to vision. Soooooo as she'll be the one driving, if she wants a smaller Mini/Fiat/Leaf whatever with at least ~200mi range, then it's time to sell eVee.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
One of the reasons I find electric cars are so appealing is because the motors are expected to last somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 miles. That means that the maintenance costs are basically restricted to the brakes and tires and of course batteries. I’m expecting that the car is upgradable and I should be able to get a cheaper, better battery battery when replacement is indicated. If that’s the case I Will keep the car a very long time. If not it will get traded away when necessary.
I think that’s extremely hopeful thinking.

If batteries haven’t gotten cheaper over the last decade, what makes you think it will change in the next decade?

Sure, there are some economies of scale working for you.

But working against you? Inflation and “rare earth metals” not getting any less rare.

Unless someone invents “fracking for lithium,” we may be SOL on battery prices.

Not sure I would want to throw a $20k battery in a 10 year old car with 10 year old tech anyways.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I have driven my 1997 Yukon GT as my daily driver for 25 years. It has 430k Kms/ 267k Miles. But…. When I bought it gas was 50 cents/Litre or $1.49/Gallon. Now where I live in Canada gas is $1.65/Litre or $4.92/Gallon. Hence the Mach E order. It can’t come soon enough!!! (My car before that was a 1990 Mustang 5.0L LX) So….I will keep my Mach E at least 3 years. Lol
Ford Mustang Mach-E How long do you plan to keep your Mach E? F672EAEB-8B1D-4987-AD17-09C1FD36F5E4

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag

PVQ

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Country flag
Even if a Ford factory battery price remains ridiculously expensive, I’m betting that there will be a secondary market with remanufactured batteries for older BEVs. Thats pretty much how free market economies work...assuming of course we have a free market economy at that point.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I’m expecting that the car is upgradable and I should be able to get a cheaper, better battery battery when replacement is indicated.
That expectation is too optimistic. They usually design cheaper and better batteries for the new models of cars. They don't care about backwards compatibility. Moreover for businesses it is better to make you to replace the whole car, not just the battery

zog

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
3 years then I will see if I am happy with it or if I shall purchase it after the lease period or aim for something new on the horizon. My first Ford though after driving a lot of german cars so it will be interesting to see for sure.
I fell for the design and looks mainly and the performance - even though it is the 5 sec problem (for now, perhaps fixed later but not a game changer for me). It was between KIA GT EV6,BMW I4 M50 and Mach E GT Performance for me, and the 12 months+ lead time for BMW and KIA and the Ford possible to get next week made the decision for me.

cinzen

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Wow...we have the same year/model and that worries me. Had it for 2 months. We havent recd any recalls yet, but the car was completed in Oct 2021 and purchased 11/2021. Maybe those bugs had been fixed by then. Hope so!
I certainly hope you have better luck. Still have the car as there aren't any other cars out there for me to buy as I only want an EV.
Sponsored