How many articles about roadtripping in an EV not being as easy as a gas car do we need?

JustBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OMG, I swear there's a new article every couple days about someone trying out an EV on a road trip and coming out disappointed. Well, duh! I think every EV owner knows that longer trips require some pre-planning and expected charging stops, and sometimes those aren't smooth. Where are the articles about not having to stop at the gas station each week, sometimes in freezing cold weather. Or running late going to work only to find out you need to stop for gas. Or your hands smelling like gas because the idiot before you got gas on the handle trying to top off his tank after the pump stopped. My Mach-E is the nicest vehicle I've owned. Fast as a sports car and costs less to operate than a Prius. It's quiet and smooth to accelerate with no shifting of gears. I didn't buy it expecting it to be cheaper overall, or to save the environment. I researched it, knew what to expect, and it's been fantastic.
Sponsored

Hibtone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Mach E GT
Country flag
You'll get 69, and you'll like it.

Reactions: TTF

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Well, I think that if we have 15 more articles, we will have reach the threshold. I think that I read somewhere yesterday or the day before that some of these writers have to meet a 4 to 5 articles per day quota. So maybe some of them are working on their quota 😂

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My guess is we can expect just as many articles as threads ranting about the articles. To be honest I get a big laugh out of both of them!

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think it draws in a lot of eyes. There are hate clicks by those that like EVs but want to be angry about the article, which is how we get here. There are hate clicks by those that hate EVs and want to have their hate for them justified.

I realized it was going to be an issue when TFL (YouTube channel) did a series on towing with the F-150 Lightning maybe a year ago now. I saw a follow up video shortly after where they said it was their highest view count video. All of a sudden half their videos for weeks were titled something along the lines of... "We took the Hyundai Ioniq on a road trip to Vegas and it sucked!" or in the range tests they started doing Roman (one of the main presenters) spent like 10 minutes hemming and hawing about the EA station, even though all of his complaints were due to lack of education or just stretching the truth, as the station worked fine, he just didn't want to use the app to activate it, seemingly ignoring that even with gas stations you need an app or credit card or cash to activate it, everything has barriers to entry...

Anyway... sorry that ran on. The point is, they found that same as the road trip videos people that love EVs will watch it to see the nonsense and be upset, and people that hate EVs will watch it to be validated. My dad hates EVs and I have had him throw their videos at me as to why my ownership of the Mach-e must be awful, even though this car rules and our road trip was flawless (except for the lady that dinged our car).

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Well, I think that if we have 15 more articles, we will have reach the threshold. I think that I read somewhere yesterday or the day before that some of these writers have to meet a 4 to 5 articles per day quota. So maybe some of them are working on their quota 😂
AI has a quota? Well, it'll be interesting when our new robot overlords unionize! 🤣

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

hedgehog99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Select RWD
I think range anxiety is a real barrier to wider adoption. I'm currently in a full EV household. When I had to use my father's ICE car to pick him up from the airport, I reflexively decided to fill up his tank thinking he will need it to make the 2 hour drive to his home 100+miles away. Then I saw he had 350+ miles left with 3/4 tank. Now that I'm doing a road trip with two kids in an ICE rental, not worrying/planning about charging every day is quite nice.

How many posts do I read on this forum about road tripping in MME? Most of general public is more worried about sightseeing than where to stop and how much charging at each stop. Until the range and charging improve, this will always be a thing.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Playing Devil's Advocate, not everyone knows, so some of these articles do serve a purpose. People are genuinely curious, and I think some will read and say "that's not for me yet" which is good, while others may draw a different conclusion and decide to choose adventure. For the most part they aren't wrong, it does suck.

At least the message seems to be changing from "range anxiety" to "charging anxiety" which to me shifts the narrative away from "the cars aren't ready" to "the infrastructure is not ready", unless you are in a Tesla...for now :cool:

Buy yeah, drama sells.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If you go to an ICE forum I doubt you'll see articles about how amazing and abundant gas stations are during a road trip. Some things are a given and don't need to be spoken, such as charging at home, quiet ride etc.

EVs are in their infancy still. Less than 1% of vehicles on the road are EVs. There's a lot of improvement needed in road trips. No matter how much we read about it, range anxiety, terrible GOM calculations and poor charging infrastructure are a reality. If we didn't complain about it nothing would ever be done about it.

I personally like seeing people bitch about road trips. I hope Ford and everyone else sees it. It's a pain in the ass to travel in an EV. I do it all the time and honestly I don't know why I torture myself when I have an ICE to take instead.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
If you go to an ICE forum I doubt you'll see articles about how amazing and abundant gas stations are during a road trip. Some things are a given and don't need to be spoken, such as charging at home, quiet ride etc.

EVs are in their infancy still. Less than 1% of vehicles on the road are EVs. There's a lot of improvement needed in road trips. No matter how much we read about it, range anxiety, terrible GOM calculations and poor charging infrastructure are a reality. If we didn't complain about it nothing would ever be done about it.

I personally like seeing people bitch about road trips. I hope Ford and everyone else sees it. It's a pain in the ass to travel in an EV. I do it all the time and honestly I don't know why I torture myself when I have an ICE to take instead.
I think that's called "taking one for the Team" :cool:

I'm doing my first next week - solo trip from Toronto to the Laurentian mountains in Montreal and I'm a bit nervous. And I shouldn't need to be.
Sponsored