How many miles before replacing tires?

MidwestElectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Finally decided to cave in and got winter tires last year after driving for 50k miles for CA RTE 1 RWD with original Michelin tires. Went to get originals put back on now for the summer and my tire guy says they were last for another 50k. I don’t drive fast - mostly 40-60 mph.
Ford Mustang Mach-E How many miles before replacing tires? 35E79746-6C94-44DE-9632-15E5403E6DB3
Sponsored

peterlhansen

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Red Premium AWD ER "Reddy"
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I have 15K miles after a year on my Summer tires in Florida (where it is always Summer) and they seem OK right now. Does anyone have experience with Summer tire wear after more mileage?

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I got 28k from my OE tires, I do drive sporty from time to time, but vast majority of miles are highway commuting ~65-75mph.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have 15K miles after a year on my Summer tires in Florida (where it is always Summer) and they seem OK right now. Does anyone have experience with Summer tire wear after more mileage?
Your profile says you have a Premium. Those tires would not be summer tires, unless you bought special tires. The tires on a GTPE are summer tires.

peterlhansen

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Red Premium AWD ER "Reddy"
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Your profile says you have a Premium. Those tires would not be summer tires, unless you bought special tires. The tires on a GTPE are summer tires.
I added Summer tires when I ordered the car. Seemed like a good idea in Florida.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
At 21K miles, I had a shifted belt on one of the tires. The local Michelin dealer said I had 50% treadwear left, so I swapped them out for a 50% replacement price. Most Tesla owners I spoken to only wish they could get that type of mileage

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
About 22k miles our our GT (non PE) tires and while they are still ok, we will need to replace them before winter.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Replaced my stock ones at about 30k on my Premium. Probably could have gotten a bit more, but they were looking pretty tired going into winter. Definitely the fastest tire wear I have ever experienced on a new car.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
17k miles on GT and tires seem still fine. Anyone getting over 30k miles on their GT OEM tires? I figure I can go this winter with these and then think about replacing next fall. Did the old Abe test and half the head getting chopped

hedgehog99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Select RWD
When I returned my Tesla Model Y after 3 years of mostly city driving with kids and 16K miles, my two rear tires had less than 1/8 tread and needed to be replaced. It was my fault that I never rotated them.

I've told by people, including the tire shop, that's to be expected with EV and the instant torque. Imagine my surprise seeing people with 24K, 30K, 50K tires on this thread. My questions are:
1. How often should I rotate them?
2. How long will they last?
3. Are my wife and I just bad EV drivers? Should we be accelerating slower or breaking earlier?

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
About 35k on my stock Michelins.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
@scoopman got about 4.3K miles on his GT-PE summer tires. I'm a bit over 13K on mine and nearing their useful life expectancy. I've been driving like there's an egg shell I don't want to break on the accelerator pedal. I figure in about 2-3K miles they're done. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Tires in the pic you provided look like the standard all-season tires Ford puts on the non-GT MMEs. 🤔🐩

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
IN 2022 you could get summer tires as an option on the Premium and Seclect. I have seen the Conti Premium Contact 6 summers In both 18" and 19" from the factory

Last edited:

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
When I returned my Tesla Model Y after 3 years of mostly city driving with kids and 16K miles, my two rear tires had less than 1/8 tread and needed to be replaced. It was my fault that I never rotated them.

I've told by people, including the tire shop, that's to be expected with EV and the instant torque. Imagine my surprise seeing people with 24K, 30K, 50K tires on this thread. My questions are:
1. How often should I rotate them?
2. How long will they last?
3. Are my wife and I just bad EV drivers? Should we be accelerating slower or breaking earlier?
I rotate the tires every 10K... because the car is going in for a checkup and the dealer knows how to jack up the MME. Tires are wearing at a rate to last ~35K

If you drive enthusiastically, the tires will not go that far and more like 5K rotation will even up tread wear.
Sponsored