How much privacy would you sacrifice to get an EV?

Unobtanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6 GT
Country flag
I think that view is a little myopic. The privacy issues aren't just limited to the government, but the auto manufacturer, any affiliates the auto manufacturer sells your data to, and any bad actors that might potentially hack that data.

Also it's not just about being a white cisgendered male, but potentially all your text/phone conversations, emails, any and all personal/financial details in those communications, etc..
It's actually pretty easy to get all of these things without the vehicle being involved, and that's not JUST an EV only thing, anyway.

Want to learn about someone? It's not hard. Most people do not shred their mail. Most people do not vary their path to work/home/etc. Most people have a typical pattern that you can pinpoint after about 2 weeks if you care to put in the time and surveillance. Is the vehicle just another way of it? Sure. But it's not something I will stay up over.

The cell phone in your pocket has been doing all the stuff this thread is freaking out over for years.
Sponsored

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I believe texts in the car can only be managed by Apple or Android SW, and it would likely be a huge liability for Ford to store any of those messages beyond them being cleared from the display. Perhaps they note that a message was handled by a specific phone and time through the carā€™s display and audio, but any data beyond that would probably have zero legitimate use to Ford, which would likely present greater legal liability to store than any marketing value might offer. So, my bet is that texts are never stored, unless sent by or to Ford.
Uhh nope, Ford was even involved in the lawsuits. It's perfectly legal for them to continue intercepting and storing both text messages and voice messages relayed by the infotainment system.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/9/...ect-record-text-messages-federal-judge-ruling

Ford specific case:

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/22-35447/22-35447-2023-10-27.html

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I agree with FadeOut. Our info is everywhere. For me personally, I could care less if they collect that info from me. They'll be bored out of their minds if they monitor me on camera. I don't mind Kia or Tesla, and wouldn't hesitate to buy either. In fact, bought my daughter one of those little Kia Soul. For under $20k, you get 10 yr warranty, full loaded safety options such as cross traffic alert etc... and was listed as a top safety pick. To each their own.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag
Haha, no unfortunately not.
Isnā€™t Renault a huge partner with Nissan? Iā€™m honestly surprised they havenā€™t entered the states yet. I feel like Renault would do well here, but then again I feel like a lot of European brands would do well here.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
I agree with FadeOut. Our info is everywhere. For me personally, I could care less if they collect that info from me. They'll be bored out of their minds if they monitor me on camera. I don't mind Kia or Tesla, and wouldn't hesitate to buy either. In fact, bought my daughter one of those little Kia Soul. For under $20k, you get 10 yr warranty, full loaded safety options such as cross traffic alert etc... and was listed as a top safety pick. To each their own.
Like I said before, your biometric data might also be collected. Right now only the GV60 uses facial recognition and fingerprint detection, but what if more auto manufacturers adopt these features?

Are you ok with the auto manufacturer, their affiliates, and potential bad actors (if your data is hacked) having access to your biometric data?

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like I said before, your biometric data might also be collected. Right now only the GV60 uses facial recognition and fingerprint detection, but what if more auto manufacturers adopt these features?

Are you ok with the auto manufacturer, their affiliates, and potential bad actors (if your data is hacked) having access to your biometric data?
Even if they did get access to that biometric data, wouldnā€™t it be very very hard to actually use that data? Itā€™s not like once you have that biometric data, you can just magically access someoneā€™s car. Something like that would be a very high scale attack and would require a decent amount of resources to be able to use that biometric data.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even if they did get access to that biometric data, wouldnā€™t it be very very hard to actually use that data? Itā€™s not like once you have that biometric data, you can just magically access someoneā€™s car. Something like that would be a very high scale attack and would require a decent amount of resources to be able to use that biometric data.
I wouldn't be worried about someone accessing my car using my biometric data. I'd be more worried about people using my biometric data for nefarious purposes. Surely you've watched CSI before? haha.

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You make valid points. I'll leave those policies to people, such as yourself, that are more knowledgeable in that area than I am! :)

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Isn't that Mozilla article how this thread started?
Hahaha yep, I read through all the posts up to that point but missed that in the very first one! šŸ¤Ŗ OMG that is hilarious. But hopefully I added a couple of interesting links.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You make valid points. I'll leave those policies to people, such as yourself, that are more knowledgeable in that area than I am! :)
I wouldnā€™t take them as valid points - I donā€™t work in cyber security and my area of expertise is mostly virtualization.

My comment was solely for the purpose of someone stealing biometric data and using it to access your vehicle, which isnā€™t exactly an easy feat. Iā€™m not implying it cannot happen, because it can, but I think the original commenter was more worried about them using it in more nefarious ways than simply accessing your vehicle.

Some of these people actually do work in cyber security though, Iā€™d take their advice before mine. I make a lot of posts essentially just asking and giving my thoughts, but I wouldnā€™t take advice from me lol.

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
I hate to say it but give Ford time. They'll do it as well. Once they're not able to make money on BC and the other connected services they'll resort to it. Some form of vehicular GDPR should be in the works soon I hope.
Agreed. But Volvo and Chevy are adding interior cameras now and only a matter of time before other manufacturers include them too.
I donā€™t mean to alarm you but we know the Bluecruise driver monitoring camera above the steering wheel is always recording to a buffer. We also know it can be recovered in events like a crash, and it could already be being uploaded as part of the nightly bluecruise data dump that goes up to their servers.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It took me a lifetime to create my data.

It would take someone else a lifetime to sort through it all.

Who has that kinda time?

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I donā€™t mean to alarm you but we know the Bluecruise driver monitoring camera above the steering wheel is always recording to a buffer. We also know it can be recovered in events like a crash, and it could already be being uploaded as part of the nightly bluecruise data dump that goes up to their servers.
Wow, really? Too late, am feeling alarmed! lol. I thought the BC driver monitoring camera only focused on the driver's eyes/face, but sounds like it might have a wider field of view.