Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
Definitely when driving through Wisconsin. The Tomah EA is awful…lines, folks charging to 100%, etc. There is a Tesla one not far from there. Unfortunately, there are no SC stations open to us in Chicagoland. As others have mentioned, I’ll try it out close to home to be sure it works before my next road trip. I have used the destination adapter in Minnesota. Options are a good thing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Don't forget that an unattended charge could result in your adapter being stolen.
That’s not a concern at all. I have never stayed with the car when charging and have no plans to change my behavior.

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I don't get people leaving the car at the fast charger and eating any meal. Then again, we pack our food and eat while charging. Fast food isn't a meal to me.
Different strokes for different folks.

I have no desire to eat food packed from home on a road trip. I ate way too many sandwiches as a kid on family trips.

That and this scene from Vacation.

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I’ll use it once to just see how bad it is with the two car spots thing.

It’ll rarely, if ever, see the light of day again for the next 6-8 years or until I sell the Mach E. It’ll stay in the trunk for sure though.

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
That’s not a concern at all. I have never stayed with the car when charging and have no plans to change my behavior.
I knew a guy that never locked his car and left his wallet in the center console. One day a thief got in his car and stole his wallet. He also said he wouldn't change his behavior. He said that he didn'twant anybody to break his window. I guess he's out of luck with keeping a MME unlocked.

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I knew a guy that never locked his car and left his wallet in the center console. One day a thief got in his car and stole his wallet. He also said he wouldn't change his behavior. He said that he didn'twant anybody to break his window. I guess he's out of luck with keeping a MME unlocked.
I’ll continue to lock my car when unattended. But I really don’t think there are bands of thief hanging out at DCFC locations looking to steal an adapter.

The world is not that bad off.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’ll continue to lock my car when unattended. But I really don’t think there are bands of thief hanging out at DCFC locations looking to steal an adapter.

The world is not that bad off.
I can promise at least one social media post re stolen adapter in the next few months. Yes, the world is that bad off.

Beyond a quick bathroom break, I have never fast charged with my vehicle unattended. At a slow charger, yes. Or a slow DC charger. But with a $200 adapter that I cannot lock, nope.

Thunderbuck

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
IT Tech
Country flag
In Edmonton AB there's an Electrify Canada station near my relative's home that has been basically complete for more than 6 months yet it *still* is not open for charging…
I know I sound paranoid but that isn’t the only one. There are two Superchargers on Hwy 43 that have been completed but left dormant for months, and according to PlugShare comments hotels in the corridor who had announced they’d offer charging but have now had a change of heart.

Something weird is going on in Alberta.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’ll be using my NACS adapter almost never. Been cruising around NY (except NYC) for over 3 years. DCFCers have really proliferated in that time. And while I may have occasion to use Tesla Superchargers, I really only see one that I might need that isn’t already a MagicDock location. Even that one has 2 CCS options nearby, though with fewer plugs available. (A little spoiled on the Tesla Superchargers since they’re built in Buffalo, we were really ahead of the curve on getting MagicDocks.)
Wife might use her’s more frequently as there is a Non-MagicDock Supercharger just down the street from her sister’s place. And she does go visit her sister a couple times per year.

uclavic

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium RWD ER
Country flag
Where would that be the case?
Out west (LA, Vegas, AZ) it's consistently cheaper to charge at a Tesla Supercharger if there's an EA charger closeby. The most interesting thing I have found with Tesla pricing is that its all over the place. Some are by the time of day whereas others have a single price. Tesla must have a lot of data on when the stations are busy to disincentivize people from using particular chargers at specific times.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Out west (LA, Vegas, AZ) it's consistently cheaper to charge at a Tesla Supercharger if there's an EA charger closeby. The most interesting thing I have found with Tesla pricing is that its all over the place. Some are by the time of day whereas others have a single price. Tesla must have a lot of data on when the stations are busy to disincentivize people from using particular chargers at specific times.
A couple of points, but your main point (that Tesla is consistently cheaper) is not correct.

1) EA is a fixed rate at each charger, it doesn't vary by time (yet). That rate is all over the place depending on where you are in the country.

2) You cannot make a blanket statement that EA is cheaper, or Tesla is cheaper. It varies widely.

Let's pick a few examples:

Tesla SuperCharger in Potsdam, NY is 53 cents. EA in the same parking lot is 45 cents. EA's pricing at that location is set by EVolve NY.

EA in Ypsilanti, MI is 56 cents. Tesla a mile away ranges from 28 cents to 51 cents, always cheaper than EA.

EA in Denver, CO (just east of town) is 56 cents, Tesla ranges from 30 to 46.

You can of course find examples where EA is cheaper.

uclavic

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium RWD ER
Country flag
A couple of points, but your main point (that Tesla is consistently cheaper) is not correct.

1) EA is a fixed rate at each charger, it doesn't vary by time (yet). That rate is all over the place depending on where you are in the country.

2) You cannot make a blanket statement that EA is cheaper, or Tesla is cheaper. It varies widely.

Let's pick a few examples:

Tesla SuperCharger in Potsdam, NY is 53 cents. EA in the same parking lot is 45 cents. EA's pricing at that location is set by EVolve NY.

EA in Ypsilanti, MI is 56 cents. Tesla a mile away ranges from 28 cents to 51 cents, always cheaper than EA.

EA in Denver, CO (just east of town) is 56 cents, Tesla ranges from 30 to 46.

You can of course find examples where EA is cheaper.
The points was when there are stations located next to each other (lets say less than a mile apart) that I have found the Tesla stations are 1 cent cheaper. This is of course in my world where I took the time to research the stations that I might use when I drive from LA to Vegas or Arizona. It wasn't a blanket statement. I'm sure Tesla has a rationale for their pricing. The biggest issues for me are charging in Vegas as all the EA stations are either full or broken. Or between Palm Springs and Phoenix as there's only 1 EA stations that has 4 chargers (Quartzsite). Across the freeway in Quartzsite there's 84 Tesla Superchargers ready for use. So instead of waiting for EA access in Quartzsite I'd gladly use the Tesla Supercharger when I get one of those adapters in my hands.

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
So Calif here and Tesla's non member rate is about what I'd pay at non member EVGo rates - depending on the time of day.

Becoming a Tesla member, drops the price to below EVGo & EA membership.

I am now exclusively using Tesla Superchargers in town as well as road trips as they are located in much more preferable areas, outnumber EA/EVGo, way more charge towers, and no waiting.
I didn't know you can become a "Tesla Member". I will need to look into that. I am always looking for a cheaper charging spot while I am out driving Lyft.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
For me, saving a buck is not worth paying any money to Elon's company, but Quartzsite is a good example of one location we use on all our road trips to see the grandkids in N. California where I might suck it up and use a Supercharger, and that is only because the EA chargers are always full and with a waiting line (or broken.)
Sponsored