Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Whatever fits your use case. I typically plug in whenever I get below 50% and charge to 90%. Sometimes that‘s 2 days between charges, sometimes 2 weeks. If I know I have a long drive the next day, I’ll charge to 100% the night before.
this is the best strategy for long healthy battery life.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'm appreciative of this info too. I haven't taken delivery yet (fingers crossed for the estimated 12/7-12/13 date), but wanting to learn. In my mind I think of ion lithium batteries, and how the rule with cell phones (and I'm sure my ignorance is showing here...sorry) was always to wait until it gets down very low before charging to preserve battery life and prevent degradation. I'm sure this is an improved technology these days though.
Typically, Li-ion batteries like to be somewhere around 50% State of Charge (SoC). They tend to degrade less around the middle range of SoC. They tend to degrade more when at the two extremes in SoC (approaching zero% or approaching 100%). The “Goldilocks Zone” is between 20% and 80% SoC. Since Ford built some buffer in at both ends of the battery, I normally charge to 85% indicated SoC, which is close to 80% gross SoC. 😊🐩

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I plug in when I get below 20% and charge to 90%. Charge to 100% when I need the extra range (road trip).

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag

Lola2004

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda pilot
Occupation
Travel agent
Country flag
Took delivery of my Rapid Red AWD EXTD MME on 7 November and have only done 107 miles to date so I am not exactly burning rubber. Still running on the original 100% charge from the dealership which is now down to 64% or 178 miles. I am new to all this and would appreciate advice as to how often to charge up overnight as I will not be doing a great deal of driving at least not until the spring. My dealer said to just leave the vehicle plugged in all the time but that does not seem right to me. Obviously before any long journey I will charge up but what about on a daily basis when I am not doing any driving?

I must say that I am 100% delighted with my MME, gorgeous to look at and drives like a dream. I was really pleased to find the frunk release on the screen next to the boot (liftgate) button.
Congratulations, I love my rapid red also, 10 months of amazing driving. And converted several tesla owners to the MME. All below are right as regards charging

Koomloddi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e Premium AWD, 2017 F150 XLT
Country flag
I tend to only charge when I get between 40 and 50% SOC, unless I happen to be at a store that has free charging and there is a vacant space. I still have level 1 charging and usually charge once or twice a month. Been charging overnight at 4 Mph, I think that its too hot outside in Miami to charge in daytime with no garage..
The 50% is just me, even in ICE cars I didn't like to get under 50% So alot has to do with your comfort level...So far the L1 has met my personal needs but will get a charger when I get a few things off my husbands honey-do list.
[/QUOTE
I'm appreciative of this info too. I haven't taken delivery yet (fingers crossed for the estimated 12/7-12/13 date), but wanting to learn. In my mind I think of ion lithium batteries, and how the rule with cell phones (and I'm sure my ignorance is showing here...sorry) was always to wait until it gets down very low before charging to preserve battery life and prevent degradation. I'm sure this is an improved technology these days though.
You set the charge limit to 80% for regular charging. If you need more juice for a longer trip let it charge to 90-100%. You dont want to top it up to 100% regularly.

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Here is what I did for less than 20 bucks. Ran a 25 for dog cable with eye bolts on each end and an adjustment setter to pull cable tight, think was 12 dollars from a discount store. The attached 5 colorful locking clips that slide on the cable from one car to the other I think I got them at Walmart for 1.50 each On the clearance shelf. Then used Velcro stripping to attach the charger cable to it.

no trip hazard
easy pull to which car may need 220 60amp
also have 110 charger so if I don’t need to fast charge
also made it so if I drop it it will not hit floor

really liked the EV hover system but the price was way to much for this so this was my solution

Ford Mustang Mach-E How often to charge C30D771B-94C6-4695-BBEB-EF2BB8CB81AC

Ford Mustang Mach-E How often to charge E7552316-4CF2-4B1D-9574-1B4BFEF4BF7C

Ford Mustang Mach-E How often to charge 3DFDB5B9-A613-4AC8-9E07-B4C7831F4DA0

Ford Mustang Mach-E How often to charge FD258BCC-9FAD-44E4-8398-A7296237AB7B

Ford Mustang Mach-E How often to charge 2B5247F7-E467-46E1-A0B7-49F6399710D0

Ford Mustang Mach-E How often to charge ADDAEFB0-A84D-4E6F-A94F-1A8FA56B941E

Last edited:

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
Read the manual.

Save the home location, set limit to 90% and set the hours you want to charge. Plug in all the time. When you're going on a trip, override and set to 100%, a simple button push on the app.
Why read the manual if we have you? Keep up the good work

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Took delivery of my Rapid Red AWD EXTD MME on 7 November and have only done 107 miles to date so I am not exactly burning rubber. Still running on the original 100% charge from the dealership which is now down to 64% or 178 miles. I am new to all this and would appreciate advice as to how often to charge up overnight as I will not be doing a great deal of driving at least not until the spring. My dealer said to just leave the vehicle plugged in all the time but that does not seem right to me. Obviously before any long journey I will charge up but what about on a daily basis when I am not doing any driving?

I must say that I am 100% delighted with my MME, gorgeous to look at and drives like a dream. I was really pleased to find the frunk release on the screen next to the boot (liftgate) button.
I set it to charge to 90% each night and always plug in here in MI when it gets down around freezing (so, all winter). In summer, if no long trip is planned, I charge to 90% whenever the battery charge level hits about 40%

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
Whatever fits your use case. I typically plug in whenever I get below 50% and charge to 90%. Sometimes that‘s 2 days between charges, sometimes 2 weeks. If I know I have a long drive the next day, I’ll charge to 100% the night before.
Ditto, unless the temp is freezing or below, then I plug in.

jamelski

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE
Country flag
Charge to 100% and live your life. The minuscule amount of battery life you will lose by charging to 100% is not enough to start threads. 100 people will tell you 100 different things. I have charged 100% every night 17k miles. 230 in summer 200 in winter in Sacramento. I drive my car like I stole it enjoy it 🙄. I love people that charge 1 time a week ect or to 50 or to 80 or whatever they do enjoy that BS people. The more time I can drive and not charge I’ll enjoy my car and life.

FLAME ON😂

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Charge to 100% and live your life. The minuscule amount of battery life you will lose by charging to 100% is not enough to start threads. 100 people will tell you 100 different things. I have charged 100% every night 17k miles. 230 in summer 200 in winter in Sacramento. I drive my car like I stole it enjoy it 🙄. I love people that charge 1 time a week ect or to 50 or to 80 or whatever they do enjoy that BS people. The more time I can drive and not charge I’ll enjoy my car and life.

FLAME ON😂
Amen brother! It’s a car - and you’re drivin’ it!

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
All good points on here. I plug in every night

FLAME ON😂
You Rock! I've got a 70kwh Select, so I charge to 100 in the winter, and step on it! I did read the manual and have my departure times all set, but I like to have all the battery energy at my disposal.

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
There is ZERO REASON TO NOT PLUG IN THE CAR WHEN AT HOME.
[/QUOTE]

Except that here in NH my electric supplier charges almost .30Kwh during the day so all those sips of electric during the winter will add up. I charge at night when it is .18Kwh and unplug during the day. I bought the car last March and I know the battery doesn't like extreme cold so I will keep it plugged in if we have an arctic blast of 0F type weather.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Why even a debate ug I so always at desired charge. If some place has free charging always ug in there. It is always "full" if for some reason you need more miles it is ready. If you don't won't hurt it. But if you need more miles and not charged have to find fast charger. Or you forget to ug in. I plug in everytime at home or free charger. Wether I used 1% or 80% no thinking involved.
Sponsored