rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
So we took the car for the first summer trip.
At the start it showed 180 miles range which was enough to go our destination and come back home (with 30 miles to spare)

So spent the day at lake Winnipesaukee and started driving back home.
Whatever you call it brain freeze, distraction but I took the wrong exit to get on the highway.
Went north instead of south.
So first exit and GPS (Google map via CarPlay) is telling me to turn around.
Since I believe I am going in the right direction , the GPS must be wrong.
I also ignored the 'N' on the instrument cluster!

Finally wife noticed 'Welcome to White Mountains'.
WHAT?
Turn around next exit, by now 25 miles was wasted (from original entry to highway).
So driving back and display shows 1 mile to spare for home address.
Here's my question...
How do you find a DC Fast charger WITHOUT stopping?
I find PlugShare interface hard (you have to plan a trip, I just want it to find one around me).
I did have wife enter home address in plugshare and it did not find any EA chargers (I know for a fact there is one in Manchester, NH which would have been a 5 minute detoure)
I tried FordPass but it says you can't use that feature while driving.

I had my son search for EA charger in google map and found one.
As we got closer to exit I checked home address and now it was showing 7 miles to spare.
Drove directly home and reached with 5% and 10 miles to spare.

But really if I was all by myself can I find a charger without stopping?
Sponsored

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
At the start it showed 180 miles range which was enough to go our destination and come back home (with 30 miles to spare)

Whatever you call it brain freeze, distraction but I took the wrong exit to get on the highway.

WHAT?
Turn around next exit, by now 25 miles was wasted (from original entry to highway).
Here's my question...
I find PlugShare interface hard (you have to plan a trip, I just want it to find one around me).
I did have wife enter home address in plugshare and it did not find any EA chargers (I know for a fact there is one in Manchester, NH which would have been a 5 minute detoure)

As we got closer to exit I checked home address and now it was showing 7 miles to spare.

You would have to consider the options; pull over to search for a charger, or risk running out of battery and being stuck waiting for a tow truck. Safest option, stop and search.

Tony

OP
OP
rzanzerkia

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's what I am wondering.
Are those the only 2 option?

I can ask siri (via steering wheel button) to find me anything and it navigates me there.
I did ask siri to find EA chargers or DC Fast charge but it found no results.

Why can't FordPass be the same way?
OR interface with PlugShare using voice command!

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag

WHAT?
Here's my question...

I can ask siri (via steering wheel button) to find me anything and it navigates me there.

There are a few free ones in Manchester and some pay ones. Biggest pay location would be at the mall one of the free locations is Eversource on the river by the dam

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
First, you need to reexamine why you are using GoogleMaps instead of the Ford navigation. Before you make your list of reasons, note that all of them fail because chargers aren't included.

Ford's navigation will add in a charger to get you home. So when you went in the wrong direction, nav would have told you and then eventually offered to add in chargers.

You should also consider reading, or rereading the manual. And reading the numerous travel threads here - https://www.macheforum.com/site/forums/trip-reports-journals-logs.68/

I have never planned a route in Plugshare. I use it to check charger location reviews. Use ABRP (A Better Route Planner).

I recommend you stop using tools not equipped for EVs. Run Ford's nav, run ABRP on a phone, and double check route with GoogleMaps.

Tbird

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4x 2021 job 1
Country flag
There are few chargers between Winnipesauki and Manchester. They are level 2 so it takes a while to charge. I always use the Ford Nav even if I know where I am going and if my destination is out of range it will automatically add a charging stop to my route. From Winni to Manchester on I 93 there are some Chargers in Concord But Ford Nav does not recognize them. You can also stop at any Ford dealer such as the one in Tilton and they will,let you charge for free.

OP
OP
rzanzerkia

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are few chargers between Winnipesauki and Manchester. They are level 2 so it takes a while to charge. I always use the Ford Nav even if I know where I am going and if my destination is out of range it will automatically add a charging stop to my route. From Winni to Manchester on I 93 there are some Chargers in Concord But Ford Nav does not recognize them. You can also stop at any Ford dealer such as the one in Tilton and they will,let you charge for free.
Thanks both, I didn't think of Ford Nav at all.
Interesting point about Ford dealers, could be useful in an emergency.

Also related, can I buy Tesla adapter (Saw few at rest area)?
With the adapter on Tesla charger do you get fast charge or slow one?

Thanks
Robert

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag

Looks like you have it covered, me personally I would stop to properly plan the trip home.

Tony

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
A Tesla adapter can only be used for Level 2, not Superchargers.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
It’s easy. First, get off airplay and select the built-in nav. Usually that’s easily accessible via a tile at the bottom of the screen that has your location on it, e,g., “Manchester, NH.” Then, at the top of the screen there is a ”Find” box with a magnifying glass. Tap in it. A drop down menu will appear with various options, one of which will be “chargers” or “charging.” You may have to scroll down to get to it. Tap it. You will then get a list of all the closest chargers. You can scroll down, or maybe select “more” to get to the next page. I believe it will give you 50 locations in the total list. You can filter that list to only fast chargers but I don’t remember if you can do that while driving.

An alternate option you could have used is the voice commands built into the car’s nav. Again, exit Google maps and CarPlay and display the built-in nav. Press the voice command button on the steering wheel once. Say “take me home.” Provided you have a home location set, it will navigate you home and add a charge stop if needed with navigation to it.

Lots to learn. Good luck.

OP
OP
rzanzerkia

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I need to play more with built in Nav...
If I could do voice command it would be great.

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag

Thanks
Robert
Tesla charger at rest area are super charges can not be used with the tap nor the Mach E

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

Thanks
Robert
There’s a reason the screen is so big.

luckie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
I think Tampamike and others pointed out excellent steps.

If there's clearly a safe place to pull off to the side of the highway/turnpike that's definitely the best move, BUT it may be quite rare when that shows up at a time you really need it.

ALSO remember any time you need a boost of range, maybe an extra ten miles, just drive slower. It has a very positive impact on range. If you drop to 65mph on the highway, like just sit behind a slower big rig in the right lane going that speed, you'll slowly pick up better range as you go.

I predict that you were perhaps specifically curious about the best way to find fast DCFC chargers while driving on the highway or turnpike without needing to stop, or performing too many steps on a smartphone, particularly with nobody else in the car to help you.

When that is the goal, like Tampamike said, I think the Voice Commands is likely the very best way. If you click the SPEAK button on the right side of the steering wheel you'll hear the Ford Assistant voice ask to help, and then you can say "Drive to Home" or "Drive to Nashua" and that built-in Navigation should pop up and take over the Center Screen and start planning stuff. If it notices your battery may need recharging before the destination it will include Chargers on the way. Ford works with Electrify America so EA chargers should definitely be displayed. Test this out next time you are driving around town and just pick a place far away, like Washington DC.

The newer versions of CarPlay (via updates for Mach-E) will also have the new Apple Maps with charger info included too. In the future when your car eventually gets this update to CarPlay (and perhaps no longer has the subscription for Ford Nav) then you could similarly press and HOLD the SPEAK button, and then SIRI will ask what you need and you can say "Drive to Home" etc. Google Maps will get this too soon I'm sure.

If you use A Better Route Planner on your phone/computer, it too has a CarPlay app that is a little slow/jerky sometimes, but might be helpful in a pinch if you have a paid account and it already knows all your info from times you've used it in preparation for a roadtrip.

SLOW CHARGING: Having an adapter for a Tesla Destination charger (a slow level 2 charger, found at hotels/shopping) is a great idea by the way. TeslaTap MINI 60amp is what I'd recommend. It's a very sturdy small adapter that fits in a cup holder and thus is easy to keep in the car somewhere. Tesla's destination chargers are pretty plentiful and often charge a bit faster than your average level 2 non-Tesla J1772 public charger. When they are added as an option to your PlugShare map of chargers available often the map gets much improved. Adapters to Tesla FAST SuperChargers in the USA do NOT yet exist and in the future will likely come only from Tesla. Elon recently said he will in the future open SuperChargers up for non-Teslas, so eventually that might happen.
Sponsored