First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Landmark Ford
Ok - that's the dealer I use as well. I'm glad your car is there for two reasons.

I think their service department is solid so you are in good hands

If ever my car needs this, it will good to know that the dealer has done this exact service before :)
Sponsored

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Totally agree. Report the issue so it's documented. Taking a poll on here is nice but not really worth much. What is the number of owners vs. Number of members? Pretty far apart I would guess. Getting responses here doesn't prove anything.

I was just at dealer asking for tsb to be performed so my 1.7 can be updated. He argued that I didn't need it since I wasn't having any problems! Then excuse was he didn't have the USB hub required and no idea when it would show up. Lastly, told me to go to a larger dealer that might have the part! I showed him the hub on amazon and offered to buy it for them......still no dice!

Not a happy customer.

OP
OP
heisnuts

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Update as of 5/10/22 - The dealer called to update me that they are working with engineering on my car. So far I am pretty impressed with the quick action. In speaking with the advisor it seems like they are well aware of the situation and are really working hard to find out what went wrong so they can get it repaired correctly.

Update as of 5/12/22 - The tech and engineering looked at software first but believe the problem stems from the BEC and/or HVBJB. The district rep has escalated the parts request since it shows on back order to try to get parts next week sometime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
heisnuts

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
BIG UPDATE:

I picked up my MME last night and it is back up and running as good as new.

I am pretty impressed with my dealer's and Fords response to my breakdown. Ford reached out to me, engineering got involved and my dealer worked with a field engineer who came out to work with the dealer on fixing the problem.

The dealer replaced the HVBJB, updated software, and I believe worked with the field engineer to go through a repair procedure that will be coming out here really soon with regards to this problem. It sounds like Ford is really close to releasing a TSB on this problem and I believe that was why the field engineer came out to assist with this repair.

After speaking with the service advisor, it became apparent to me Ford has been working on coming up with a solution to the HVBJB problem and it looks like the fix is starting to roll out now. I realize only time will tell if this fixes the problem and we do not see a repeated pattern of failures, but I believe it is a big step to a solution. After picking up the car today I took it out in the country for almost two hours and everything from the drivetrain to radio to Carplay to door locks to Bluetooth all worked perfectly with not one glitch the entire time.

awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
I received the recall, but it is stating an OTA fix. Reading alot of posts here, that's not the resolution, right? My girl has 36k miles, so do I call my dealer and ask for the "real" fix which if I understand is a replacement part and not the OTA fix? Or take my chances. How are the majority handling this recall?

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I received the recall, but it is stating an OTA fix. Reading alot of posts here, that's not the resolution, right? My girl has 36k miles, so do I call my dealer and ask for the "real" fix which if I understand is a replacement part and not the OTA fix? Or take my chances. How are the majority handling this recall?
For the time being they won't replace any hardware until it fails. The OTA "fix" does at least give you the chance to get to a dealer (or at least a good parking spot for a tow), so not really a fix but a mitigation.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
For the time being they won't replace any hardware until it fails. The OTA "fix" does at least give you the chance to get to a dealer (or at least a good parking spot for a tow), so not really a fix but a mitigation.
"Mitigation" equals hurried half-assed attempt to not have to REALLY fix the problem...which they knew about for months. That's why Ford put the 5-second limit on full-power operation on the GTPE's. Ford KNEW the HVBJB was defective, BEFORE they sold me my car. For shame.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The recall (22S41) is for software only. If your HVBJB hasnā€™t barfed or isnā€™t in the process of barfing, you will have to pay for the hardware change. Ford wonā€™t warranty replace the part unless itā€™s dying. šŸ˜±šŸ©

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
"Mitigation" equals hurried half-assed attempt to not have to REALLY fix the problem...which they knew about for months. That's why Ford put the 5-second limit on full-power operation on the GTPE's. Ford KNEW the HVBJB was defective, BEFORE they sold me my car. For shame.
These are 2 different issues, the 5 second limit was their attempt at preserving battery longevity to match their warranty. Neither was great.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
These are 2 different issues, the 5 second limit was their attempt at preserving battery longevity to match their warranty. Neither was great.
I believe you are wrong. The 5-second limit NEVER made sense in terms of battery life. What, a 7-second limit destroys the battery? A 10-second limit reduces life? The only explanation that makes sense is contactor life...don't believe what Ford attempts to tells you.

awiginton

First Name
Alesia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
The recall (22S41) is for software only. If your HVBJB hasnā€™t barfed or isnā€™t in the process of barfing, you will have to pay for the hardware change. Ford wonā€™t warranty replace the part unless itā€™s dying. šŸ˜±šŸ©
Oh Yikes! So it has to fail - leave me stranded - before Ford will replace the part that, according to everyone, the Mach E will need?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Oh Yikes! So it has to fail - leave me stranded - before Ford will replace the part that, according to everyone, the Mach E will need?
Yep. Ford isnā€™t replacing unless it fails or is in the process of failing. So far, my GT-PE hasnā€™t failed its HVBJB, but itā€™s less than a year old. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The point of the recall software is to minimize the chances of stranding you and perhaps reduce the likelihood of the HVBJB contactors welding.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I believe you are wrong. The 5-second limit NEVER made sense in terms of battery life. What, a 7-second limit destroys the battery? A 10-second limit reduces life? The only explanation that makes sense is contactor life...don't believe what Ford attempts to tells you.
I agree. There was a comment during the InsiveEVs podcast where @OutofSpecKyle mentioned that someone at Ford told them unofficially that the 5-second limit was put in place to protect a component that they didn't have temperature sensors and didn't want to overheat. To me, it sounds like the HVBJB is probably that component.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I agree. There was a comment during the InsiveEVs podcast where @OutofSpecKyle mentioned that someone at Ford told them unofficially that the 5-second limit was put in place to protect a component that they didn't have temperature sensors and didn't want to overheat. To me, it sounds like the HVBJB is probably that component.
It has already been confirmed by a Ford employee on the forum when the HVBJB recall came out that the 5 second limit and the HVBJB are NOT related. It is most certainly the battery pack used, as mentioned numerous times, especially since there have still be NO reports of a 5 second limit in China, where they have a different battery pack.
Sponsored