JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Folks, this is a deal breaker for me, I am going to cancel my order. I hear the "Y" will get a software update to MagSafe. iPhone 12 will work fine, Magsafe just holds it in place, how much does ones phone move around today? I don't have it today and I am doing just fine...

:p:p:p
Wow! Didn't know Tesla will be shooting magnets from the satellites for the OTA MagSafe update!! ?
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Looks like there is a lip around the charging pad, so I don't think the phone will slide around.

1602617220764.png
Looks like a tight fit for the Max size phones. This looks like a normal iphone 11 pro size and it's pretty much filling out the contained area already.

Does anyone know the power rating on the mache wireless charger?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wow that's great! I hadn't noticed how very tall that lip is until this photo and especially the ones @makooy just posted.

This will be good to keep the phone in placed while I'm executing Unbridled Cornering Maneuvers.

As for the MagSafeā„¢ people... If you really want MagSafeā„¢ in your Mach-E, this seems completely doable.

Ingredients:

You will need an iPhone with MagSafe. Or an Android phone with Qi charging and magnets. (Sorry Android users, no "MagSafeā„¢" for you!)

You'll also need a Mustang Mach-E.

And ultra-slim neodymium disc magnets.

For attachment, you'll need scotch tape OR hot glue OR super glue. OR, if you're really handy, a drill press or plunge router. :)

Recipe:
  1. Determine the optimal centering of your phone onto Mach-E's charging pad. To do this, you'll need to find the placement that reliably gives you a faster charge and less waste heat than other placements. Maybe Apple shows this on the screen? (I don't know.)
  2. Remove both the iPhone and Mach-E's rubber charging mat from the charging tray, being very careful to keep the iPhone in its "optimal position" on the rubber mat.
  3. Carefully flip over the rubber pad and iPhone, so that the bottom surface of the pad is facing up towards you.
  4. While still keeping iPhone and pad in alignment, place the neodymium discs onto the rubber pad and slide them around until the futuristic "MagSafeā„¢" AI holds them into their ideal positions.
  5. Tape the discs into their ideal positions. Or if you have higher confidence, glue them into position. Or if you have power tools, you can carefully route out 1/32" deep pockets for the magnets to slip into.
See! Easy pee-zee. Five simple steps.
Actually, since Qi charging works through most phone cases, you could probably just make a thin insert with magnetic tape to custom fit in the tray.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Belkin already announced a MagSafe charger that clips to A/C vents! Finally, Iā€™ll be able to supplement the puny Mustang Mach E screens with the gorgeous 6.7ā€ OLED Super Retina XDR Display! Just think how great it will be to watch Apple TV+ while Ford CoPilot360 Active takes care of my commute to work! ????

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
+ The cell phone charging area seemed big enough for almost all phones. If you want, you can take that little rubber mat out for cleaning or if your phone is too big.
That also means you could make a DIY MagSafe with some magnets out magnetic tape behind the mat.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
That also means you could make a DIY MagSafe with some magnets out magnetic tape behind the mat.
I suspect magsafe is some precisely placed small neodymium magnets. So you could still do it yourself, but you'd need magnets in a particular configuration.

Anyone have an iPhone 12 and a magsafe charging mat to test? Are they out yet?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I suspect magsafe is some precisely placed small neodymium magnets. So you could still do it yourself, but you'd need magnets in a particular configuration.

Anyone have an iPhone 12 and a magsafe charging mat to test? Are they out yet?
iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are out this coming Friday. I'm sure you'll start seeing some MagSafe tests after that.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
will my flip phone work with the wireless charger?

what about my backup phone (a bag phone)?
They actually reserved a storage area specifically for bag phones. It's directly below the center armrest, which should give you comfortable reach to pick up the handset for your oh-so-very-important calls that you have to take on the road.

So I don't see why it wouldn't work.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
They actually reserved a storage area specifically for bag phones. It's directly below the center armrest, which should give you comfortable reach to pick up the handset for your oh-so-very-important calls that you have to take on the road.

Perfect! I often need to deal with buying and selling before investing in canned goods and shotguns.
Canned Food and Shotguns - Stock Market Crash - YouTube

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

I don't think mine will fit under there.
Ford Mustang Mach-E iPhone MagSafe compatibility? 90

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not only is that a phone, but also a spare 12-volt battery! Thus a "battery-cell" phone. Now I finally understand why some people call them that. Before I thought they were saying "sell phone" as in always be selling. (You know, drugs. Always be selling drugs.)

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Not only is that a phone, but also a spare 12-volt battery! Thus a "battery-cell" phone. Now I finally understand why some people call them that. Before I thought they were saying "sell phone" as in always be selling.

(You know, drugs. Always be selling drugs.)
That's the funniest thing I have seen all day

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Whew. I was afraid I'd have the oldest one.
Ford Mustang Mach-E iPhone MagSafe compatibility? 361717001985-0

(true story : I had one of these in college as my home phone. It was my first cell phone. I replaced it with a candy bar Nokia when VoiceStream came to town as one of the first four US beta test sites. You know them today as T-Mobile.)
Sponsored