Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Yeah, that attitude worked wonders for you with Boeing, didn't it?

Unless it was the passengers of the MAX that are to blame, after all they were free to choose another airline/plane, right? And I'm guessing since most (if not all) of them were not even American and/or people you knew personally (like some unbelievable posts I'm reading about covid19 say), who cares?

Believe me, I'm all for freedom, but sometimes even if *most* people would do what's right, it's not enough. And I'm not even sure they would.
Boeing was an obvious software failure, but would you rather board an airliner build by the government? I don't think I would. Post office, DMV, VA Hospitals...need I go on? I trust you and I to decide what is best for our family. I don't think some lifetime bureaucrat in Washington know much about me or my situation.

And I don't think I saw anyone here say "who cares".

An increasing number of people in this country seem to think it is "easier" for them to just hand their lives over to the government. I have news for you, government is run by people that make mistakes just like Boeing. The only problem is, we can fly on an Airbus plane if we don't like Boeing. If we don't like the government, we're screwed since we have no recourse. Can't sue them and they can ultimately make us do anything they wan't in the name of "protecting" us. Just look at China.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The more interesting chart from that article may be this one...

est-with-20-cars-reveals-best-evs-for-cold-weather.jpg

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
Boeing was an obvious software failure, but would you rather board an airliner build by the government?
It wasn't just a software error, it was a systemic error in the way decisions were made, both in terms of how the plane was built and mainly how it was certified (supposedly) by the government.

And who said anything about the government building planes (or EVs, for that matter)? That wasn't the point that was made.

The point is people need to be safe. Safe from viruses, safe when flying, safe from climate change, safe from dangerous chemicals etc. Ensuring people's safety should be the government's responsibility. Passing down this responsibility to companies will work sometimes but might not work every time. But someone MUST make sure it works every single time, otherwise people die.

I have news for you, government is run by people that make mistakes just like Boeing. The only problem is, we can fly on an Airbus plane if we don't like Boeing.
Well, guess what. Some people can't make this choice. Because they're dead.

And I don't see how the government being people that make mistakes (as people in companies also do) leads you to think it's best to do away with government control. If anything, we should have both the government and companies (and of course, the people themselves) check and double check each other. This is the only way democracy and capitalism can work. Otherwise, if any part of the equation is left unchecked, we end up with totalitarianism. The difference is, unlike you, I don't care if the tyrant is the government or the markets, it's all the same to me.

Anyway, obviously this discussion is too political for this forum.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
The point is people need to be safe. Safe from viruses, safe when flying, safe from climate change, safe from dangerous chemicals etc. Ensuring people's safety should be the government's responsibility. Passing down this responsibility to companies will work sometimes but might not work every time. But someone MUST make sure it works every single time, otherwise people die.

And I don't see how the government being people that make mistakes (as people in companies also do) leads you to think it's best to do away with government control. If anything, we should have both the government and companies (and of course, the people themselves) check and double check each other. This is the only way democracy and capitalism can work. Otherwise, if any part of the equation is left unchecked, we end up with totalitarianism. The difference is, unlike you, I don't care if the tyrant is the government or the markets, it's all the same to me.

And because humans make errors, mistakes will always be made. So you can forget about ā€˜perfectionā€™, it will never happen where humans are involved.

Iā€™m not saying there shouldnā€™t be regulations to some degree, but itā€™s hard to think of anything the government does that couldnā€™t be done better by the private industry. The incredible mobilization efforts underway in the US to fight the pandemic, could not have been accomplished without the huge assistance of the private sector.

Last edited:

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
It wasn't just a software error, it was a systemic error in the way decisions were made, both in terms of how the plane was built and mainly how it was certified (supposedly) by the government.

And who said anything about the government building planes (or EVs, for that matter)? That wasn't the point that was made.

ā€˜They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.ā€™ -Benjamin Franklin

You seem to think government can do no wrong when government has little incentive to actually help you and private companies have their very livelihood at stake if they fail to provide you good service. I never said that government is unnecessary, I just said that government shouldn't be in total control and is eminently fallible, yet unaccountable. I'll leave you to ponder Ben's quote. If you get nothing out of that, then there is obviously nothing left to discuss. Let's get back to the inspiring Mustang Mach E.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Yet, Tesla and fans prefer to range per kW test values as an example of superior product. It is all over this forum in various threads. The same article posts the charging curve in cold weather which begs the question is Tesla's really superior?

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Yeah, that attitude worked wonders for you with Boeing, didn't it?
You point out a very good example of the problems with government. The government (FAA) had a large oversight role with Boeing that they completely and utterly screwed up. This is a prime example of just how badly government bureaucrats screw up when given the chance. But yes, let's give those same incompetent idiots even more control over our live's.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yet, Tesla and fans refer to range per kW test values as an example of superior product.
No idea about that -----it is all over this forum by certain individuals.,

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
who made their rated rated range In conditions that take 30% hit out of EV range-----Tesla was a big loser in real world winter conditions and was NOT the leader in kW/mi range. for this test that was not that cold. Living in the upper Mid-West where snow is falling and adding to the 14 inch current base, cold winter weather issues are a factor. 30% hit out of EV range was not for all vehicles tested.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IF you read the graph, Tesla took a much larger hit that the others.
Sponsored