Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

chris e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
These are the comments made by Zac Cataldo (about 2. 15 in the presentation).

Tesla fanboy? I really can't see how such an opinion is substantiated by the specs. What does everyone else think?

Yes, i Agree with the 7 years because Tesla is way ahead as far as the car’s Technology features and function. we have both a Tesla and a mache so we see the difference daily. That said the mache e is great .
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, i Agree with the 7 years because Tesla is way ahead as far as the car’s Technology features and function. we have both a Tesla and a mache so we see the difference daily. That said the mache e is great .
I'm curious. Can you elaborate a bit on how your Tesla is way ahead of your MME?

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This thread is so old it's only 5 years behind now.

The Tesla is definitely sophisticated, but not 7 years. Maybe 1-2 in terms of technology. Their full self driving just keeps getting more expensive and is still terrible. They don't support CarPlay or Android Auto which I consider to be more important than most anything else they offer. They have big EPA range numbers on their cars, but they use a different EPA cycle than Ford and others which is easier on them and every real world comparison shows the Tesla (at least MY and M3) seriously under deliver on that range where Mach-e/ID.4/Ioniq overperform or are about dead on.

The only actual avenue that Tesla is ahead is on portions of their standard Autopilot, like auto lane changes, and their OTA updates are far more seamless. But Ford is doing a lot better there already, and Ford already said lane changes are coming soon. So like I say, maybe 1-2 years.

Maybe if Tesla had kept development pace to what they were doing from 2012-2020, but they have done essentially nothing of note since 2020. Can't even get the Cybertruck on the road. You would have to point out something really significant to convince me they were anything more than 2 years ahead, and even then it was only in two areas.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. There are a lot of opinions from MME fanboys around here that don't actually own both...so I ignore most of their input. Since you actually own both, that is much more useful information. No one can fully appreciate either car without owning and driving daily.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. There are a lot of opinions from MME fanboys around here that don't actually own both...so I ignore most of their input. Since you actually own both, that is much more useful information. No one can fully appreciate either car without owning and driving daily.
There's no doubt that there's *some* aspects of Teslas that are more advanced. But I think quantifying that as a whopping 7 years behind is kinda silly. Legacy is not starting from the same low point Tesla did. They enter the EV game at a higher point now than Tesla did 15 years ago.

And then there's some aspects where legacy is already better.

On balance, it's probably more like 2-3 years.
Sponsored