Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Traveling often includes carrying multiple items in your vehicle. Skis,poles,boots etc for a winter trip is an example of what you do not want to chance in having stolen from your vehicle while
Wait a minute. I'm not turning over a $60,000.00 car to some "kid" in the middle of the night. Furthermore, my car might have 'stuff" in it (skis-poles-boots-etc for a winter trip) that I don't want someone unknown to get their fingers on. Another point, when traveling I'm not looking for a 5 star hotel. The affordable ones are owned by the average Jane and Joe looking to make a living. They don't have the means or needs to have a kid working as a valet. They don't have the disposable income to fork over for a L3 charger for which a demand does not exist at this time frame. Now in a larger city or at 5 star hotels, maybe but won't EA, Tesla or some other L3 charging network also be in town making the a L3 charger not worth it? I don't need to add anymore to this thread.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Although I could see the valet method working, in most cases I would personally prefer to have a room at $10 or so extra a night more that came with it's own dedicated L2 charger for the night. They could remotely shutdown the charger for those not wanting the service, or activate it with your room key. If I was there for a week, I might only want the service for the first and last night.
Yep. That's one thing hotels are going to have to work on as more BEVs hit the road -- guaranteed reservations for chargers.
BEVs will only be a small% of the cars in a hotel's parking lot. Especially since they're a poor fit for road trips. ICE vehicles will continue to be the dominant road trip vehicles. But there will be some BEVs.

And most hotels don't have anything close to 500 rooms. Most that do are in the cities (downtowns or airport hotels) catering to business travelers and convention-goers, which aren't as car-centric (they usually fly in and taxi/Uber/train in from the airport). Road-tripper hotels/motels tend to be smaller.

And again, hotels and office buildings aren't gonna want to turn themselves into high-traffic retail charging stations. That's what high-traffic retail charging stations (like EA) are for. Hotels and such will (at most) be looking to offer some added value L2 for their overnight guests.

I've repeated that many times now. Not really much else to say on the matter.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You clipped out the part that mattered. I don't care what time it is in the middle of the night because I'm not getting up in the middle of the night (twice) to do it. Neither will hardly anyone else. I think you're dreaming if you think hardly anyone but you will set an alarm to wake up at 2am to plug in your car and again at 2:45am to unplug it. That's ridiculous.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
A parking lot or structure with 500 chargers wouldn't be so bad.

Also, you are assuming all 500 guests need to charge at the same time. Some can charge during the day and some at night, some will have enough charge to get home and not need to charge. I suspect 100 or so chargers would be enogh.

That said, with only 10 chargers and an average of 30 minutes each (some will be good with 15, some will need 45+). you will have a queuing problem for 500 guests. You would only be able to support 20 guests an hour, and most guests will arrive or leave during peak times, so you will be about 20 L3 chargers to cover as many guests as 100 L2 chargers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A parking lot or structure with 500 chargers wouldn't be so bad.

Also, you are assuming all 500 guests need to charge at the same time. Some can charge during the day and some at night, some will have enough charge to get home and not need to charge. I suspect 100 or so chargers would be enogh.

That said, with only 10 chargers and an average of 30 minutes each (some will be good with 15, some will need 45+). you will have a queuing problem for 500 guests. You would only be able to support 20 guests an hour, and most guests will arrive or leave during peak times, so you will be about 20 L3 chargers to cover as many guests as 100 L2 chargers.
Few people stick around a hotel during the day though. Not hotels that are frequented by road-trippers, anyway (which is what we're talking about -- hotels/motels used mostly by people driving through on road trips, that need to charge their BEV). They're usually overnight sleep stops on the way to your eventual destination. That's when nearly all the BEV guests would need to charge, to give them a full battery when they check out and continue their long journey the next morning. Plug it in when you check-in to your room in the evening, and unplug when you check out in the morning. Just like if you were at home.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I certainly hope not. Not a fan iron-fisted government policy.

Yes, a high traffic L3 station on the corner or at the bottom of the off-ramp makes sense. That's why EA exists. Don't confuse that with a hotel though, where guests check-in for 8 straight hours of sleep.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Few people stick around a hotel during the day though. Not hotels that are frequented by road-trippers, anyway (which is what we're talking about -- hotels/motels used mostly by people driving through on road trips, that need to charge their BEV). They're usually overnight sleep stops on the way to your eventual destination. That's when nearly all the BEV guests would need to charge, to give them a full battery when they check out and continue their long journey the next morning. Plug it in when you check-in to your room in the evening, and unplug when you check out in the morning. Just like if you were at home.
I know on average I have had more business trips where I had to stay at a hotel for a week than times when I was on vacation passing through and only at the hotel one night. Not going to try to say that it's more common to be one night stay, but it is more than a few that are stuck at a location for more than a night for business.