join me in filing a NHTSA complaint on the HVBJB to get a better recall than 22s41

smaisuria

First Name
Sharvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext.
Country flag
So I just bought my MME less than a week ago and the Ford dealer performed the recall via ota update. Yesterday when I was driving on the highway I was trying to pass a car and the power significantly reduced—it was beyond dangerous to say the least. Then I saw a schedule service soon light. If my issue is related to this recall, I 100% agree, the ota update is just a bandaid, not a fix—a true fix would be a replacement part.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I already also reported to NHTSA my incident, and I intend to send them further facts via email next week once we're safely home.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I get where you're coming from, but consider this scenario: You are passing on a country road, confident that there is ample passing room as an 18-wheeler is headed towards you. Suddenly your power is reduced by 2/3rds. I think that would qualify as a safety problem. And it easily could have happened to @scoopman or @Neil4Real had they been on different roads.
I didn't really experience it like that though. I mean, it limits your passing power, for sure, but if you're already at speed, you're fine. And when I was on the highway to the dealer this morning at 75 mph, I did still have enough power available to pass cars. There is also enough power to get to speed quickly when entering a freeway, etc.

When the message popped up, nothing noticeably changed to my current power on the car. I wasn't going 45 mph and it suddenly cut it super far back. If you get this error WHILE going pedal to the metal, max power, then I can see it cutting that back, but once cruising or not slamming it, you shouldn't get a super dangerous cut back.

I do have a GTPE, so I can't comment if those with, say, a Select, even though it happening to them is super rare, would be turtled further. I'd assume their power wouldn't be as restricted.

Without the GT power bars, I would hazard most people won't even notice the power limitation.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
So I just bought my MME less than a week ago and the Ford dealer performed the recall via ota update. Yesterday when I was driving on the highway I was trying to pass a car and the power significantly reduced—it was beyond dangerous to say the least. Then I saw a schedule service soon light. If my issue is related to this recall, I 100% agree, the ota update is just a bandaid, not a fix—a true fix would be a replacement part.
That's horrible -- I think you need a new HVBJB and you should take it back to the dealer you purchased it from. You should also file the experience with NHTSA, that's a pretty unique one.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the exact scenario where it is dangerous. If you get the SVS message WHILE trying to pass, huge no no. If you're already cruising, you're fine. But, being that the failures come from high heat, the chances of you using some juice when it happens, is way more likely. I was just extremely lucky and fortunate that my SVS message popped up a few moments AFTER I made a pass.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
The problem is not a mfg defect, it is an under-designed Contactor inside the HVBJB enclosure that overheats because it is not big enough to carry all the loads that can occur under combinations of 'normal' driving and weather. Combined with poor thermal management of an enclosed space, that is death for electronics.

The fix is known.... beefier Contactors in the new 'C' version HVBJB

I don't want to wait for a surprise problem to be repaired under warranty, I want the hardware remove/replace scheduled via Recall.
Great, we've all heard numerous people on this forum and on even youtube channels say this. Where are the specs to the actual parts that prove this? I haven't seen them. No one even knows what B or C are aside from those restrained by NDAs. For all we know those guys are here paid by ford, they even could have been given false info so they convince us it's a hardware problem and not "programmer screwed up" problem...cause that shift liability to some extent. I mean seriously people do funny things when millions of dollars are involved even more so when PR is involved. I'm certain the people on this forum have nothing but the best intentions and intend to get to the bottom of this...but as an outsider...with zero additional real world data other than people seeing codes referring to a possible symptom of another problem...I can't come to any conclusions aside from this kinda sucks but at least I haven't seen it...yet.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great, we've all heard numerous people on this forum and on even youtube channels say this. Where are the specs to the actual parts that prove this? I haven't seen them. No one even knows what B or C are aside from those restrained by NDAs. For all we know those guys are here paid by ford, they even could have been given false info so they convince us it's a hardware problem and not "programmer screwed up" problem...cause that shift liability to some extent. I mean seriously people do funny things when millions of dollars are involved even more so when PR is involved. I'm certain the people on this forum have nothing but the best intentions and intend to get to the bottom of this...but as an outsider...with zero additional real world data other than people seeing codes referring to a possible symptom of another problem...I can't come to any conclusions aside from this kinda sucks but at least I haven't seen it...yet.
I mean, Ford has said this on the FAQ of the recall that due to design and manufacturing variance, the part is the problem.

Or are you saying that no one knows if B and/or C are actual fixes? There has been no one pedaling misinformation that these are 100% true fixes, even those with insider info believe they are from what Ford has told them, but no one on the forum has had the new part to real world trial it yet. We BELIEVE and hope that they are, but @scoopman and myself are going to be guinea pigs for sure, to see if they actually do fix it.

Fortunately (unfortunately?), what caused my car to fail seems to be the toll road I take to and from work, which is the same grade as @scoopman when his car failed, so I will most certainly get to see if this part really holds true and solid or if I'm in for a world of fun.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I get where you're coming from, but consider this scenario: You are passing on a country road, confident that there is ample passing room as an 18-wheeler is headed towards you. Suddenly your power is reduced by 2/3rds. I think that would qualify as a safety problem. And it easily could have happened to @scoopman or @Neil4Real had they been on different roads.
Not sure that the reduced power is that bad but in your scenario I would just hit the brakes and just fall back in place. I will admit I might be more concerned if I drove in areas like that but for now I just drive as normal. I was bad today and went north of town beyond electricity and cell service and hit 100 on a straight away then drove thru hills back to town. No luck in failing the HVBJB (not really trying to though.)

Reactions: ARK

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
First world problems.
Just be patient or be an individual and file the complaint for yourself instead of recruiting others to join your cause.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Would you mind sending me a DM with your VIN please. I would like to pull the trouble codes and see if it's the same issue. A one week old car ... wow.

Also what trim do you have? I'll see it with the VIN, but for everyone else who is reading this.

smaisuria

First Name
Sharvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's horrible -- I think you need a new HVBJB and you should take it back to the dealer you purchased it from. You should also file the experience with NHTSA, that's a pretty unique one.
The dealer I bought it from was over an hour away and I didn’t want to risk it—I took it to one nearby. I sent this thread to the service guy hoping it helps.

smaisuria

First Name
Sharvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would you mind sending me a DM with your VIN please. I would like to pull the trouble codes and see if it's the same issue. A one week old car ... wow.

Also what trim do you have? I'll see it with the VIN, but for everyone else who is reading this.
Done. It’s one week old for me. It’s a 2021 Premium AWD Extended Range

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Done. It’s one week old for me. It’s a 2021 Premium AWD Extended Range
Got it thanks. I'll DM you back with anything I find and you can post about it yourself.
Sponsored