RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Does anyone here have experience with the Android App for the JuiceBox chargers? I am leaning in their direction, because I feel like it future proofs me a little for the possible future of having a second charger on the same circuit. However, when I looked at the reviews for the app that you use to configure and interact with the charger, the ratings were all over the place, and average out to a pretty mediocre experience.

Usually I try to ready through these types of reviews some and try to figure out how much user error is involved, but my thought is that most people that know what a JuiceBox is should be early adopter types, that have some ability to get over the humps on their own, so the reviews are a little more concerning.
Sponsored

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Does anyone here have experience with the Android App for the JuiceBox chargers? I am leaning in their direction, because I feel like it future proofs me a little for the possible future of having a second charger on the same circuit. However, when I looked at the reviews for the app that you use to configure and interact with the charger, the ratings were all over the place, and average out to a pretty mediocre experience.

Usually I try to ready through these types of reviews some and try to figure out how much user error is involved, but my thought is that most people that know what a JuiceBox is should be early adopter types, that have some ability to get over the humps on their own, so the reviews are a little more concerning.
I bought a juice pro. its not connected yet. In reality with the MachE most of the necessary functions can be done from the car. Yes there is better monitoring with the juicebox app but i wouldnt worry too much about it since you'll most likely rely on the ford app.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I bought a juice pro. its not connected yet. In reality with the MachE most of the necessary functions can be done from the car. Yes there is better monitoring with the juicebox app but i wouldnt worry too much about it since you'll most likely rely on the ford app.
If that's the case then why go with a charger that has all the smart features?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Main reason I can think of is if/when your energy utility offers some demand response or time of use incentive in such a way that they need to monitor or control the EVSE associated with your home.

Secondary reason would be if you have the charger in a publicly accessible location and want to restrict who has access to use it.

Remaining benefits of wifi seem really minor to me.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
For me, the reasons I am considering it are twofold. First, the charger that comes with the MME is called a mobile charger. Reading between the lines a little implies that something a little more permanent could be useful. For now I'm planning on getting a Nema 14-50 outlet installed and using the mobile charger for a while, but maybe upgrading later.

The second JuiceBox specific reason, is because two JuiceBox chargers hard wired can share the same circuit, sized for just one. So, if I added another BEV in a few years, I wouldn't need another breaker installed in my full panel, and the software would dictate which EVSE can operate at any time. I could see setting up schedules in vehicles that would charge at specific times, but there is a possibility of getting those wrong and occasionally having an overlap and tripping breakers or other dangerous things.

But, if their app software sucks, that setup might not be that smooth.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
The app actually allows me to "lock" the charger so nobody can come and charge without me knowing. Also I can monitor my usage, The charger gives amore accurate reading of the consumed electricity than the car. Also chargers can also be inefficient, they can be updated remotely. Even though they are rated for 48amps they can increase the amperage safely if you've wired it properly.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I have iOS and while not answering your android question, wanted you to be aware of the wifi setup issues. I just could not make the juicebox 40 pluginEVSE connect to wifi - using the phone. After a few days of different internet search based tries, I gave up and tried connecting the EVSE via laptop and even then the connection process gave me several errors but connected at the end. I dont have the Mach E yet, so its not connected to anything. Just a heads up of issues I had but you may not have the same issues at all.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Another option to save some money, is that the Grizzl-E is available for $399 (plus you can save the 30% if you order during 2020 with tax credits). That's the biggest reason I'm buying a charger instead of relying on the Ford Mobile Charger. While the base Grizzl-E doesn't have Wi-Fi enabled features, they do state that they will sell kits to add this in the future, if desired. They do sell a Grizzl-E Smart (for pre-order) for $479, so you'll likely be able to decide later if you want the extra features for an additional (probably around) $80.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I haven't used my Juicebox 40 yet, but the app setup went smooth and the app seems to work fine. It just gives me some basic data in terms of the electricity the charger is reading. My garage is a bit of a wifi dead spot, but haven't had any issues so far.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Main reason I can think of is if/when your energy utility offers some demand response or time of use incentive in such a way that they need to monitor or control the EVSE associated with your home.
Mine does, but they only work with Chargepoint and Flo chargers.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I do have a 2 year old Juicebox 40 and I use the Android App. I don't pay a lot of attention to it unless I am waiting for the charge to finish. Our electric Utility PSE does not seem to have different rates at different times, so charging times are not an issue. It does show kWh to hundredths so you can see progress constantly. There is a chart - time vs charge rate. There is a screen with a graph which is not very useful since it does not know how much charge is already in the battery, so it assumes zero and starts from there. It also lists the max as the entire 17kWh when only 14 is usable - not a big deal but that info is on the other screens in greater detail.

On the graph screen it says I have added 1kWh, but on the next screen it says 0.78 kWh. So basic info to keep track of times and rates of charge, with wifi connectivity. Nothing to write home about but it does the job.

I have not seen any other EVSE apps to compare to. I was just looking at Amazon and I see that the ChargePoint Home Flex is $50 less now. I just ordered one so that I can get it installed before the end of year. I have a 60A breaker ready for it, from the old electric furnace. Now I will be able to charge both the Mach-E and the LEAF at the same time, and get 48A 11.5kWh for my MME.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I have a Juicebox 40-Pro Plug In Version (Old Version - Before They Were Purchased By Enel-X).

The 40A version is a bit under the max rate of the Mach-E, which is 48A, but unless you fully discharge your battery on a regular basis, it is insignificant IMHO.

Had no problems with installation and it has worked perfectly with my Chevy Bolt.

I look at the reports now and then, but after a while all that really matters is that when you plug it in at night, is the car fully charged in the morning. If it is, then all is right with the world.

Also, if you look at Costco, it is on sale ($50.00 off) now and then.

I would purchase it again.

Jim

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I do have a 2 year old Juicebox 40 and I use the Android App. I don't pay a lot of attention to it unless I am waiting for the charge to finish. Our electric Utility PSE does not seem to have different rates at different times, so charging times are not an issue. It does show kWh to hundredths so you can see progress constantly. There is a chart - time vs charge rate. There is a screen with a graph which is not very useful since it does not know how much charge is already in the battery, so it assumes zero and starts from there. It also lists the max as the entire 17kWh when only 14 is usable - not a big deal but that info is on the other screens in greater detail.

On the graph screen it says I have added 1kWh, but on the next screen it says 0.78 kWh. So basic info to keep track of times and rates of charge, with wifi connectivity. Nothing to write home about but it does the job.

I have not seen any other EVSE apps to compare to. I was just looking at Amazon and I see that the ChargePoint Home Flex is $50 less now. I just ordered one so that I can get it installed before the end of year. I have a 60A breaker ready for it, from the old electric furnace. Now I will be able to charge both the Mach-E and the LEAF at the same time, and get 48A 11.5kWh for my MME.
That disconnect between what the charger thinks of the battery state and the actual battery seems to make some of the smart features of the charger less than useful. I ordered a Ford connected charger since it's supposed to integrate with the Ford pass app along with the MME so it should provide the best information.

But who knows when it will be available and if the app will work and be of any use. I've got a 14-50 plug in place now and am setup for 60A capacity and keep going round and round: Ford Connected Charger (full integration potential) -> Grizzl-E (dumb charger since all the necessary smarts are in the car) -> Juice Box 40 (potential for utility integration and has electrical usage monitoring) -> Juice Box 48 (higher powered charger but unavailable?) -> Ford Connected Charger (higher powered charger with promised delivery before year end, but costly) and around we go again.

Sucks being this indecisive about simple things

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Sucks being this indecisive about simple things
Yep, same... But I don't mind it this time. I don't feel like there's much of a rush, since the car comes with a charger.

Yes, I know I *might* be forgoing a tax credit.

My timeline is:
  • get 50A outlet (on 60A capable wiring) installed NOW... this should happen Friday if all goes well.
  • use mobile charger at 7.6 kW rate
  • before it gets scorching hot (so, before June), replace the mobile charger with a plug-in or hardwired one; probably Ford's 'cause of FPR points

MustangE631

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Exactly! I’m I using the Tesla charger (don’t ask) lol but I see no reason for a smart charger when you get all the info off of the ford app.
Sponsored