Loud clunk after starting car and trying to reverse

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I get that every time i reverse out of my driveway if I get too close a shrub beside the car. The collision avoidance kicks in and tries to stop the car then it releases. If I turn off reverse assist it doesn't do it.
Sponsored

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
Thanks to everyone here for always providing feedback. This morning 5am Alaska I was heading to work, with no time to spare of course. And my brake pad/a were stuck to my rotor/s.
I had washed my car 2 days prior and did a good wash and clean on the tires even. Parked it for <= 2 days or so and wa la.
Panicked in the morning after a short dead stop trying to leave the garage in reverse, I tried trotting around the neighborhood at 8 mph or so and it was continuing to thunk.
After reviewing the forum, I got home and looked through my wheels at my rotors and it was my driver side front pad on the outside that stuck. It left some pad on the rotor. I used a plastic trim removal tool (softest yet hardest flat thing I could find quickly) scraped it off and went for a quick drive around the faster neighborhood roads.
Smooth as a whistle.
I will probably just try and get some pads from my dealer but, my dealer is out 2 months on any service. So, wish in one hand I will.
Thanks again everyone!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks to everyone here for always providing feedback. This morning 5am Alaska I was heading to work, with no time to spare of course. And my brake pad/a were stuck to my rotor/s.
I had washed my car 2 days prior and did a good wash and clean on the tires even. Parked it for <= 2 days or so and wa la.
Panicked in the morning after a short dead stop trying to leave the garage in reverse, I tried trotting around the neighborhood at 8 mph or so and it was continuing to thunk.
After reviewing the forum, I got home and looked through my wheels at my rotors and it was my driver side front pad on the outside that stuck. It left some pad on the rotor. I used a plastic trim removal tool (softest yet hardest flat thing I could find quickly) scraped it off and went for a quick drive around the faster neighborhood roads.
Smooth as a whistle.
I will probably just try and get some pads from my dealer but, my dealer is out 2 months on any service. So, wish in one hand I will.
Thanks again everyone!
Pumping the brakes a few times and no go you had to physically pry the pad off the rotor. It is most likely not pads but the caliper piston seized on a bit.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
Pumping the brakes a few times and no go you had to physically pry the pad off the rotor. It is most likely not pads but the caliper piston seized on a bit.
I didn’t pry the pad off I pried (?sp) a dime size or less piece of the pad off the exposed rotor that I could see through the wheel when I got home from work.
Not cool either way.
You’re probably right because the morning before heading to work the vehicle was hard to reverse and a couple feet leaving my garage in reverse it stopped dead stop. Pad seized? Couple obstacles create a reverse brake assist in a bad scenario? I am known for “enjoying” different cars frequently, lol, and this is a first.
Although now that I think about it, my last car Ford Focus St used to clunk leaving the garage after sitting <12 hours during the winter time.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I had this happen after going through a large puddle. I pulled into the garage never giving it a thought. The next morning the car was stuck when I put it into reverse. It finally let loose, but there was a clunking noise as I was going down the street. I turned around and went home to call my dealer. They said to drive it in for service (only about 2.5 miles away).

I left it there and they gave me a loaner. They called to say the rear pads had frozen to the disk and a piece had broken off. They said Ford told them to replace all four sets of pads.

When I picked it up, they said Ford was aware of the problem and it was related to a specific manufacturer of disk pads. They also told me that replacements were from a different manufacturer .

No problems with the new pads so far.

So you might want to call your dealer.....

Jim

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Its just rust between the brake pads, rotors or on the emergency brake after washing/rain/snow. Just drive it a bit and give the brakes a good couple of slams to knock the rust off.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Its just rust between the brake pads, rotors or on the emergency brake after washing/rain/snow. Just drive it a bit and give the brakes a good couple of slams to knock the rust off.
I don't think so. Ford is aware the original brake pads can cause a problem on some MMEs and issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to dealers to replace with revised pads. Link to TSB: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...rakes-brake-pad-material-stuck-to-rotor.8971/

Sorry for the long rant, but I've had quite a few cars of different makes and I've never had a problem with brakes sticking, ever. It is NOT normal. No way this is rust. No way should I have to "bed in" the brake pads on brakes with 5,000 miles on them, no matter how much I use One Pedal drive (which is all the time, but I've used the brakes plenty).

I've had this problem twice after washing the car and returning it to the garage immediately. Next morning, put it in reverse and the car does not move. Pushed the accelerator pedal harder and after a loud crack/clunk sound the car moves but now with a clunking sound coming from the front wheel.

After reading this thread and the other on this topic (https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-ford-roadside-on-speed-dial.4730/post-181954), I see that I'm not alone and others have had the same problem when the wheels get wet. So, now after washing the car I've been driving it and using the brakes a few times to spin/dry the rotors/pads before returning to the garage. Seems to have worked because brakes don't stick anymore backing out of the garage after washing the car the day before.

Problem solved? No! I've parked in the garage after driving in heavy rain before and this has not happened, so I thought rain wasn't really a problem because the water is spun off the wheels somewhat. Last week, I was driving home in very heavy rain at the beginning of Tropical Storm Ida (my area got 11 inches of rain in about 6 hours). The next morning the brakes were stuck harder than they'd ever been before. After pushing the accelerator pedal hard, there was a loud crack and I was free but had loud clunking sound and vibration when brakes were applied for the rest of the day.

So, I made a service appointment with the dealer (who is unaware of this problem). Searching the forum some more, I found the Technical Service Bulletin posted by breeves002 (link above). Proves that the "original" brake pads on some MMEs are defective, Ford is aware of the issue, and will replace them with "Revised" Brake Pads (see Figures 2 & 3 in the bulletin).

Reactions: n0n

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think so. Ford is aware the original brake pads can cause a problem on some MMEs and issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to dealers to replace with revised pads. Link to TSB: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...rakes-brake-pad-material-stuck-to-rotor.8971/

Sorry for the long rant, but I've had quite a few cars of different makes and I've never had a problem with brakes sticking, ever. It is NOT normal. No way this is rust. No way should I have to "bed in" the brake pads on brakes with 5,000 miles on them, no matter how much I use One Pedal drive (which is all the time, but I've used the brakes plenty).

I've had this problem twice after washing the car and returning it to the garage immediately. Next morning, put it in reverse and the car does not move. Pushed the accelerator pedal harder and after a loud crack/clunk sound the car moves but now with a clunking sound coming from the front wheel.

After reading this thread and the other on this topic (https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-ford-roadside-on-speed-dial.4730/post-181954), I see that I'm not alone and others have had the same problem when the wheels get wet. So, now after washing the car I've been driving it and using the brakes a few times to spin/dry the rotors/pads before returning to the garage. Seems to have worked because brakes don't stick anymore backing out of the garage after washing the car the day before.

Problem solved? No! I've parked in the garage after driving in heavy rain before and this has not happened, so I thought rain wasn't really a problem because the water is spun off the wheels somewhat. Last week, I was driving home in very heavy rain at the beginning of Tropical Storm Ida (my area got 11 inches of rain in about 6 hours). The next morning the brakes were stuck harder than they'd ever been before. After pushing the accelerator pedal hard, there was a loud crack and I was free but had loud clunking sound and vibration when brakes were applied for the rest of the day.

So, I made a service appointment with the dealer (who is unaware of this problem). Searching the forum some more, I found the Technical Service Bulletin posted by breeves002 (link above). Proves that the "original" brake pads on some MMEs are defective, Ford is aware of the issue, and will replace them with "Revised" Brake Pads (see Figures 2 & 3 in the bulletin).
Mine sits for days and gets washed way to often. It sits out side thou is the only difference I see but have put a cover over it after washing. Never happened here even after driving it thought the rain. Must be something flakey with some of the pads ?‍♂. See how useful this forum is I also saw that TSB. Just get them replaced and sorry to hear about your stress. Try a defective control module for 4 1/2 months. It happens to a few but at least you were not alone. Pads not a biggie but ya weird and looks like it is not the heat.

Reactions: SAM

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine sits for days and gets washed way to often. It sits out side thou is the only difference I see but have put a cover over it after washing. Never happened here even after driving it thought the rain. Must be something flakey with some of the pads ?‍♂. See how useful this forum is I also saw that TSB. Just get them replaced and sorry to hear about your stress. Try a defective control module for 4 1/2 months. It happens to a few but at least you were not alone. Pads not a biggie but ya weird and looks like it is not the heat.
Yeah, these problems like the brake pads, the control module, and dare I mention PAAK are not problems for every car, which makes it more difficult to understand what's going on.

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

this is interesting! When it happened to me I thought it was rust. I have an earlier model too! I appreciate all the info. I will be contacting my dealer about that tsb

Reactions: SAM

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I've had quite a few cars of different makes and I've never had a problem with brakes sticking, ever. It is NOT normal. No way this is rust. No way should I have to "bed in" the brake pads on brakes with 5,000 mile
I was going to say I have had it go the other way on cars I have owned. It was very common on my 2004 Sentra SE-R Spec V with its oversize front brakes. Any time that it rained/ water and then the car sat for a 24 hours or so it would have than thunk when I reversed the car. The longer it sat the harder it could be to get that first little move to break it free.

On my Honda Crosstour it did not happen as much but to be fair it had smaller brakes and it was not set up in a sport mode. I would only saw the thunk when I more after I started working from home and it was possible for my Crosstour not to move for several days. I really felt it after the ice storm in Texas the first time I had to move my car after almost a week.
The mach for me breaking it free happens if it sits for longer than a 24 hours after it gets a little wet so I think nothing of it as it seems to have sportier bigger brakes on it that can get a little rust.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was going to say I have had it go the other way on cars I have owned. It was very common on my 2004 Sentra SE-R Spec V with its oversize front brakes. Any time that it rained/ water and then the car sat for a 24 hours or so it would have than thunk when I reversed the car. The longer it sat the harder it could be to get that first little move to break it free.

On my Honda Crosstour it did not happen as much but to be fair it had smaller brakes and it was not set up in a sport mode. I would only saw the thunk when I more after I started working from home and it was possible for my Crosstour not to move for several days. I really felt it after the ice storm in Texas the first time I had to move my car after almost a week.
The mach for me breaking it free happens if it sits for longer than a 24 hours after it gets a little wet so I think nothing of it as it seems to have sportier bigger brakes on it that can get a little rust.
Not my experience, but OK. Did your experience with the thunking come with a large chunk of brake pad tearing off and stuck to the rotor causing clunking sound and vibrations when driving? (Yes, that's thunk, chunk and clunk from the Mach E.)

SPIRIT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
It has something to do with water. It happens to me the day after I get it washed.
Sponsored