Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

SK Batteries (not LG Chem)

Internal connectors for coolant lines...what happens when (not if) those leak? Not sure how I feel about their design here.
Sponsored

JB20

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Country flag
Some of the crap they say make them look really stupid. They can't figure out why the ford cover is so heavier than the ID4. The ID4 bends like cheap sheet metal, the Ford does not. They can't figure out why the battery pack weights more than the Tesla yet less range. Compliments Ford on making the batter pack resistant to side impact hits due to reinforcements.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
And didn't Ford only announce their partnership with SK after the LG Chem lawsuit was settled earlier this year?

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Some of the crap they say make them look really stupid. They can't figure out why the ford cover is so heavier than the ID4. The ID4 bends like cheap sheet metal, the Ford does not. They can't figure out why the battery pack weights more than the Tesla yet less range. Compliments Ford on making the batter pack resistant to side impact hits due to reinforcements.
That is true of all the recent crop of Munro videos, maybe long ago they where useful but now all they are good for is turning the sound off and using it to look at the parts, as all the videos can at best be described as people look at a car and have no clue why anything was done the way it was done but comment on it like expects all the same :(.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I wonder how they know the cells are SK Innovations? They haven't opened any module yet.
Tends to be public knowledge that Ford battery supplier for the Mach E is SK so that is how they know they are SK Innovations cells.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Tends to be public knowledge that Ford battery supplier for the Mach E is SK so that is how they know they are SK Innovations cells.
No. Ford has never stated this. They've only said they are LG cells, which they intended to have produced into modules in Poland and turned into battery packs assembled in Mexico.

The Mach-E destined for the Chinese market is very likely following a different path. My guess is that those cells will be from a Chinese manufacturer, not LG or SK.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
He seems to have a near-phobic fear of hoses and clamps. Maybe his cars all leaked. I've been driving for almost 40 years. New cars, old cars, restored 60 year old cars..... I can remember 2 times when I've had to tighten a clamp because it seeped a little.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Really interesting just to see what that battery pack looks like underneath our feet. Thanks to Sandy for these tear down videos.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
No. Ford has never stated this. They've only said they are LG cells, which they intended to have produced into modules in Poland and turned into battery packs assembled in Mexico.

The Mach-E destined for the Chinese market is very likely following a different path. My guess is that those cells will be from a Chinese manufacturer, not LG or SK.
fact

omar2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Lmfao these guys are clueless when discussing something not a nut and bolt. They are LG cells.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Same, 3 coolant leaks in 30 years. Had a hole in the radiator of my 85 Mustang. Seep between the metal block and plastic thermostat housing on my 02 Escape. Bad seal in a 2 part plastic thermostat housing on our 06 Mustang. Never a hose clamp. Makes me want to see more hoses and fewer complex plastic housings.

He seems to have a near-phobic fear of hoses and clamps. Maybe his cars all leaked. I've been driving for almost 40 years. New cars, old cars, restored 60 year old cars..... I can remember 2 times when I've had to tighten a clamp because it seeped a little.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Same, 3 coolant leaks in 30 years. Had a hole in the radiator of my 85 Mustang. Seep between the metal block and plastic thermostat housing on my 02 Escape. Bad seal in a 2 part plastic thermostat housing on our 06 Mustang. Never a hose clamp. Makes me want to see more hoses and fewer complex plastic housings.
The last "leak" I had was on a 1985 Dodge Ram Charge when the water pump let go

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Nope. The they are planning to use cells from the yet-to-be-completed SK plant here in future vehicles, but Ford has always said the cells for the 2021 Mach E were LG chem cells.
Sponsored