Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine hasn't moved since I got it. It still hangs in my garage, unused
It stores prefect under the MDF adjustable back floor board and has stayed in place there since the first month of falling off. What exactly do I need this for? ;) It would flap around sometimes when windows were down a certain way also. Could see it in the mirror. Tried to make it more aero dynamic by tipping it down and it helped but did not fix it. Fits well stored away and keeping it almost new for the next owner.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
It stores prefect under the MDF adjustable back floor board and has stayed in place there since the first month of falling off. What exactly do I need this for? ;) It would flap around sometimes when windows were down a certain way also. Could see it in the mirror. Tried to make it more aero dynamic by tipping it down and it helped but did not fix it. Fits well stored away and keeping it almost new for the next owner.
yeah, I thought about putting mine there but I worry the sub I installed will make it flap under there

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where'd the info come from that it was a battery puncture? Everything linked on this thread just says "cause unknown".
Exactly. I don't see that part actually reported anywhere. Looks more like like something inside caught fire. Could just be a cigarette dropped in a bag or something for all we know.

If the battery pack had punctured from underneath, we'd likely see signs of burnt pavement, burnt paint, and melted tires.

Jooced

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT 2023
Country flag
Looking at the picture, I'm starting to think this is a new guerrilla marketing campaign by Chevy or Subaru.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unless a report appears that shows the battery pack was actually punctured from debris, the forum administrator should probably change the title of the thread.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Pretty much happened once to every EV it seems. The last one I remember was this:

https://www.kiaevforums.com/threads/weak-undercarriage-or-bad-luck-punctured-battery.4985/

Wasn't a fire but could have easily caused one. Punctured batteries become flammable due to shorts + thermal runaway.
Yes, pouch cells in particular are very susceptible to thermal runaway events. The 4680 and other aluminum shelled cell architectures are much safer options as the event stays within the confines of the cell itself. Pouch cells are the worst design.

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
That is some horrible press. Dang.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Electric Ford Mustang EV vehicle battery was punctured from freeway debris and caused a fire. CCFD is having a hard time putting it out. It keeps reigniting. They been onscene for about 2 hours now.
OP, are you able to get an update from that private first responders Facebook group you are part of? Were the firefighters sure the pack was punctured?

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I wonder what they thought when they opened the frunk...likely "Aw crap, it's a BEV..."
No, they opened the frunk to kill both batteries. This is SOP in dealing with fires. Firefighters / first responders have a wealth of info sheets about this. It's not an accident that when you google a vehicle one of the first things you come across is its disconnect points. In the chevy bolt there are very clear labels under the hood that say "cut here" to disable both of the batteries. -- there's 2 of them.

The second link sent me here... showing how to access and disable the HVB and the 12v battery ground is clearly visible once that panel is removed. First responders have their own info, but some smaller departments might have to literally google it.

https://elvsolutions.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Mach-E-Battery-Removal-Guide-11-23-20.pdf

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
you don't apply water to a lithium battery fire that's like pouring gas on a fire.
The protocol is to actually douse it with a ton of water:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/1...ivers-water-directly-to-blazing-ev-batteries/

The lithium in batteries isn't pure lithium, so the reaction with water isn't very energetic. At least compared to the rest of the short-circuit...

Also, it's in the first responders' guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/showroom/resources/2021_Mach-E_ERG.pdf

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E catches fire on highway 1674598839986
Sponsored

Last edited: