SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
That video has me scratching my head. It looks like there's a lot of heat in the cabin (trunk?) as you can see the rear cargo cover is melted. Anything is possible, but if there was a high voltage short I would think the majority of the heat would be coming from underneath the vehicle? Isn't the cabin ~isolated from high voltage components?
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was bound to happen eventually. I’m pretty impressed that it took over 2 years for one to have a fire incident, and this one looks extremely mild compared to most. I can’t think of any other EV that was on sale this long without a fire.
It's something that impresses me about the Mach E - there's pictures of multiple Lucid Airs burned to the ground, Taycans, e-trons, EV6s, Ioniq5s, all burnt to a crisp after thermal runaway. Rivian had a HV battery fire at their factory.

Yet, I haven't seen a single picture of one of the 150k Mach-E's produced lit up like a roman candle.

https://www.chosun.com/economy/auto/2022/06/14/IMDXZ4ZHY5CJ5MCFT76UZ43GH4/

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/02/k...-into-flames-following-collision-in-budapest/

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That video has me scratching my head. It looks like there's a lot of heat in the cabin (trunk?) as you can see the rear cargo cover is melted. Anything is possible, but if there was a high voltage short I would think the majority of the heat would be coming from underneath the vehicle? Isn't the cabin ~isolated from high voltage components?
The facebook link is dead here. I see a lot of smoke but no flames. Can not really tell if the fabric cover is melted. Still weird the amount of smoke coming out of the hatch back. Maybe they broke a hole through the floor to get at it? Looks like too much smoke for cabin wiring?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The facebook link is dead here. I see a lot of smoke but no flames. Can not really tell if the fabric cover is melted. Still weird the amount of smoke coming out of the hatch back. Maybe they broke a hole through the floor to get at it? Looks like too much smoke for cabin wiring?
You can see the cargo cover hanging melted in the twitter video.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I used to race 1/8 and 1/10 scale RC cars off road. In addition to Nitro powered, I also raced battery powered cars. LiPo batteries in this hobby are well known for spectacular fires. I personally know 2 people that burned their garage down from charging batteries and not monitoring them. Fires at the track were a spectators paradise. Old batteries were purposely punctured to get rid of the electric potential. The flames and heat that project from the puncture are like a blow torch. Once the battery is punctured you have seconds worth of time to get away depending on the type of puncture. Could be as little as 5 seconds or as much as a minute. Once the thermal runaway happens, in RC, it’s best to just watch it. If it’s close to something else thats in danger, it’s best to kick the battery to safety if you are brave enough. Kinda hard to do with a full sized car.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I wonder what they thought when they opened the frunk...likely "Aw crap, it's a BEV..."

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
I would like to see the end result of this. Was what we saw the extent of the fire or did it get worse and completely engulf the car?

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Snow machine accidents up here hit the news. Could be a 100 people killed in car accidents that day (old news) but someone going threw the ice that will make the front page. Bet there were a few gas cars on fire this month also but that is old news.

Do gas ones catch on fire? ;) I was not too concerned about the gas ones catching an fire either. Since every electric car that catches fire most likely gets reported by the news it is nice to see the probability of the MME catching fire is low to date.
This was an important part of that study, the age of the vehicle. When you look into the details you find interesting observations. .

"Figure 10 shows that roughly three-quarters of the highway vehicle
fires reported in the US in 2017 that were caused by mechanical or
electrical failures (77 percent) involved cars with model years of 2007
or earlier. This was true for only 54 percent of the fires resulting from
collisions or overturns. As vehicles age, parts wear out, extended
maintenance plans expire, and maintenance can be overlooked.
Consequently, it is not surprising that vehicles that are at least
10 years old are at greater risk of a fire started by a mechanical or
electrical failure or malfunction."

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If the battery was punctured that would cause an instant high voltage shutdown and SSN. They would have to coast to the side of the road.

In the video it doesn't look that bad, not like the whole car burned to the ground (I guess we'll find out).
Does the battery necessarily need to be punctured to cause this type of fire?

I guess what I’m getting at is, is there any situation where some debris gravely damages the battery, yet the high voltage battery remains powered (because no puncture) and the vehicle drivable, and a fire starts 15, 30, 60 min later?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Where'd the info come from that it was a battery puncture? Everything linked on this thread just says "cause unknown".
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Snow machine accidents up here hit the news. Could be a 100 people killed in car accidents that day (old news) but someone going threw the ice that will make the front page. Bet there were a few gas cars on fire this month also but that is old news.

Do gas ones catch on fire? ;) I was not too concerned about the gas ones catching an fire either. Since every electric car that catches fire most likely gets reported by the news it is nice to see the probability of the MME catching fire is low to date.
same issue with small plane crashes... it's out of the norm and so "news". Unfortunately contributes to a lack of perspective

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Electric Ford Mustang EV vehicle battery was punctured from freeway debris and caused a fire. CCFD is having a hard time putting it out. It keeps reigniting. They been onscene for about 2 hours now.

Info / news link added by @Mach-Lee

News article: Electric car catches fire causing traffic delays on 215 Beltway near Rainbow Blvd

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 7.00.05 AM.jpg

hopefully they found the HV disconnect, although that would not help if there is an internal short.
also hoping they are not dousing with water, but I don't see any foam or dry powder from class C extinguishers on site.