Country flag

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
I don't want to have to go through 5 submenus to adjust my wiper speed!
Let's not spread false information, we are better than that here.

If you read the article, it said 1 menu with 5 choices. Not 5 submenus. So one menu and 5 wiper speeds to select.

Let's be fair to all EV's.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

If you read the article, it said 1 menu with 5 choices. Not 5 submenus. So one menu and 5 wiper speeds to select.

That is one menu too .any for many of us just rouse the wipers

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

Correct. But to be fair, in an era of “don’t text and drive” I’m not sure why diverting attention to an even larger screen is considered ok for basic controls. I don’t consider that progress.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Absolutely the Tesla UI went too far - IMHO it is a case of trying to be too flexible. You CAN push the stalk to wipe once or wash, but not to turn the wipers on and leave them on. That is just stupid. I am sure the intention was to allow the number of "intermittent" settings to be changed in the future, but there are other ways it could have been accomplished while still keeping the off/intermittent/low/high functionality on the stalk. To be fair one can push the right side steering wheel button and say "wipers on", but since the invention of intermittent wipers in the 70's all cars except Tesla have had almost exactly the same controls and every driver in the world is now accustomed to them being easy to reach and find using your peripheral vision. The same is true for their design on the gearshift/autopilot lever. When you're in autopilot you flick up partway to cancel autopilot/cruise control but if you push too hard the car goes into neutral! Both of those things seem like safety issues and I'm surprised NHTSA or some other agency didn't insist on a change. Well, actually I guess the german court did but it's awfully late in the process.

The rest of the controls being in the touchscreen I am OK with - it's odd to have to tap a button on the touchscreen to open the glovebox (and you have to be on the right screen), but you will probably never have to open the glovebox in an emergency and there is always the voice controls to do that.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
There are a couple of issues in this.

The Driver.
Apparently that model Tesla has voice commands which might be able to do this for him. Why wasn't that used? (See the next as well). Would anyone with familiarity here want to comment?

Design.
Lack of tactile feedback. The simple electro-mechanical switch we've all used for ages allows us to find the switch and change it without looking or by using a portion of our peripheral vision.

Voice commands. Being a first-generation American with a Scottish parent, I'm always amused by the lack of understanding of various accents, the Scottish English accent in particular though. That's also apparent on some smart devices such as Alexa. There was a rather amusing video a while back about a Scottish lady trying to get Alexa to understand her requests. Does the Tesla have similar issues with German and/or various German regional accents? If so, that may be why he was wading through various submenus.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
This is a video comparing the Tesla Model X and the Model Y. At about 16 minutes or so, she talks about how she misses the driver’s display in the Y, and how if she were driving the Y regularly, she would have to invest in a HUD.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well you can sometime let a friend drive your car so it's convenient to have buttons to adjust things.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
50,000 2021's should immediately move it into the top 3 by a year from now.

Tesla simply started a decade sooner, while most legacy manufacturers sat back and let them work out the kinks and go through the growing pains of battery progression (minus a few necessary compliance cars along the way). Now that batteries have reached 250+ mile range capability, combined with EA beginning to have adequate coverage on a number of interstates, BEVs are finally viable for more mainstream drivers. As a result, we'll see a steady stream of new BEVs coming out in the next 3 years.

That's an interesting list for the names that are MISSING from it... Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge/Jeep, Subaru, and other makers that dominate the US passenger vehicle market. Chevy snuck in at the bottom with the Bolt, which still surprises me how few of those get sold. I know the seats suck, but the rest of the vehicle is pretty decent at a more affordable price. It should really sell better than it does. (Not having the $7500 tax credit hurts sales.)

But I do think a lot of potential BEV buyers (like me) were waiting for something more special in the next wave. And the Mach-e is it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I know the seats suck, but the rest of the vehicle is pretty decent at a more affordable price. It should really sell better than it does. (Not having the $7500 tax credit hurts sales.)
The list prices of the bolts put them in the same range as the Model 3 standard range plus. Even with their recent massive discounts, they are not competitive in any other way with the Model 3. Had Chevy kept investing in and updating the Bolt to keep it viable it would sell much better; it doesn't even have adaptive cruise control and they stubbornly haven't fixed the crappy seats. Even the Niro and Kona have better amenities/capabilities.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The list prices of the bolts put them in the same range as the Model 3 standard range plus. Even with their recent massive discounts, they are not competitive in any other way with the Model 3. Had Chevy kept investing in and updating the Bolt to keep it viable it would sell much better; it doesn't even have adaptive cruise control and they stubbornly haven't fixed the crappy seats. Even the Niro and Kona have better amenities/capabilities.
I had hopes for the Niro and Kona when they came out (semi-affordable compact CUV style), but seemed like it was nearly impossible to get one in the US unless you lived in CA. And even that wasn't always easy (heard they had major battery supply delays).

Worked out OK though because while I was scoping those out last year, the Mach-e came out of nowhere. I was only doing casual research last year on BEVs, but it never showed up on lists I was looking at. It actually got announced while we were in Egypt so I missed that news too. Noticed it after we got back.
Sponsored