Mach E energy consumption

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Now that we know the usable battery figures -> has anyone updated their math on what the energy consumption of the MEE would be?

ABRP refers to 378 wh/mi (245 wh/km) for the ER/AWD and I’m wondering if that’s still the right figure.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Do the math: 88kWh usable and 300 miles of range 88,000/300 = 293 wh/mi (ok ER RWD).

For the ER AWD range of 270 miles: 88,000/270 = 325 wh/mile

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Do the math: 88kWh usable and 300 miles of range 88,000/300 = 293 wh/mi (ok ER RWD).

For the ER AWD range of 270 miles: 88,000/270 = 325 wh/mile
exactly, although ABRP uses a little less efficient number for highway speed driving

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I prefer to use the inverse: miles or kilometers per kWh which is easier to understand and compare with miles per gallon for the gas engine cars. The average value is about 3 miles per kWh, so if the Mach-E can meet or pass this number, it is considered efficient, and the higher the better. If the 98 kWh battery can run for 300 miles, that is better than 3 miles per kWh (actually 3.4). Then if your EVSE can report how many kWh it has charged the battery, then by multiplying by that number gives you the range. Simple!

Counting watts per mile is like counting quarts or liters of gasoline per mile, and is quite confusing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
I now noticed the ABRP 378 wh/mi is reference for highway speeds @65mi/h, which would be 16% increase to the calculated average consumption. Does that sound realistic? Just trying to figure out where my MEE would realistically take me in different scenarios. ABRP also has the speed limit %-functionality which is quite nice, considering I don’t usually drive 65 at highways on a Mustang...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
exactly, although ABRP uses a little less efficient number for highway speed driving
16% less at 65 MPH. That's fairly significant. And that's only at 65. In the east that may be more normal highway speed, but further west 75 is more common. Probably well over 400 then.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I now noticed the ABRP 378 wh/mi is reference for highway speeds @65mi/h, which would be 16% increase to the calculated average consumption. Does that sound realistic? Just trying to figure out where my MEE would realistically take me in different scenarios. ABRP also has the speed limit %-functionality which is quite nice, considering I don’t usually drive 65 at highways on a Mustang...
I should have read yours first before replying. Duplicated some of it. :)

I've heard some say as much as 30% cut in mileage at high speed, but that's probably at 75+. Seems like some BEVs are more aerodynamic than others, where 65 may not be too bad. Hoping the Mach-e is that way, as Mustangs should be designed for speed. But I'd be prepared for 30% loss at 75 just in case.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Here's an interesting chart that is a great visualization of how speed and temperature affect the range of a BEV.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E energy consumption InkedInkedBoltRangeVsTempTesla_LI

This is for a pre-2020 Bolt with an EPA range of 238, 3.9kWh/mile.

OP
OP

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Here's an interesting chart that is a great visualization of how speed and temperature affect the range of a BEV.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E energy consumption InkedInkedBoltRangeVsTempTesla_LI

This is for a pre-2020 Bolt with an EPA range of 238, 3.9kWh/mile.
Very good, thank you!

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Hi Lyt,
I think you'll be safe with your calculations.
My real-world experience.
I rarely ever/never get the actual EPA range on either of my cars. In the summer I get an extra .5 - 1 mi/kWh and in the winter I lose .5-1 mi/kWh (the -mi/kWh is when I use the heater).

Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Hi Lyt,
I think you'll be safe with your calculations.
My real-world experience.
I rarely ever/never get the actual EPA range on either of my cars. In the summer I get an extra .5 - 1 kWh/mile and in the winter I lose .5-1 kWh/mile (the -1kWh/mile is when I use the heater).
I think you got that backwards. Running cabin heat will decrease your efficiency, not increase it.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
What's not known is the top end of charging. Will it be necessary to not charge to 100%, will there be regenerative braking with a full charge. This information is yet to be determined.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
On premium awd, about 3 miles/kwh.

Based on owning two Volts, range varies a lot with driving condition:temp, speed, rain, snow on the ground, stop and go vs no braking.
It liked country roads, with gentle hills at about 70 degrees and 45mph best and exceeded advertised range then.
At expressway speeds, in the cold, with rain or snow to push through, range dropped a lot.
The Volt varied from 2mi/kwh to 4 based on conditions. Overall, driving in Michigan over a year’s worth of weather changes, ranged averaged exactly what GM predicted, but varied a lot from day to day.
Sponsored