blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
It feels like you get a half second surge of a lot of torque and then it feels like a turd afterwards.
Does yours not have the power meter on it? You keep talking about how it feels but you've never once said 'you can see on the power meter it drops at X speed'

The video posted here has put all of these 'it feels like' comments into a data situation that we can see what's happening which is a huge difference.
Sponsored

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Weird to see this behaviour, I don't have this with my Pemium SR AWD when I give it power at high speeds. What drive mode were you in?

Maybe try this test at full charge across the various drive modes to see if that has any affect.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
No. Flux weakening doesn’t “cause” high speed loss of power despite that article that was posted on the drive. It’s used to keep power at the unit’s max, and it starts at like 30-40 mph.

This has been beaten to death.
Yes it does, it just extends the point at which the torque loss occurs. It still happens, and its a sharp drop off.

Tesla and other manufactures run a second motor that isn't a PMSM so they are better able to transition power over at high speeds. Porsche has 800V batteries so they can push higher drive voltages to overcome the back EMF. Everything I've seen with my car and others here just look like the torque drop off of a bldc motor.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E GT 70+ Acceleration Issue - Video 1632503234850

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Anyone that spends 70 grand on a Mustang GT Performance Edition and finds “plenty of power to pass safely” acceptable is a chump.
so, acceptable to you would be not having "plenty of power to pass safely"? that's weird.

HowdyDoody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
There aren’t other videos.

As you do more testing, see how long it takes for the car to “recover” before giving you full power again after the 4 seconds of full throttle it gave you.

Power meter in the video started dropping before 80 mph, then was way down in your 2nd 30-50 punch.
I think the question was regarding the power meter being only a display feature of the GT. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see it (or an option for it) in the Premium trim I drive.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think the question was regarding the power meter being only a display feature of the GT. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see it (or an option for it) in the Premium trim I drive.
This will likely come in a future OTA. This is a feature everyone has been asking for. The GT's are just being delivered with the newer software the rest of us will get OTA soon.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This will likely come in a future OTA. This is a feature everyone has been asking for. The GT's are just being delivered with the newer software the rest of us will get OTA soon.
of course, when we do get it, things will change from "we don't have one" to "this isn't exactly what I wanted". ?

HowdyDoody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Is it an update that the dealer would already have for a Premium trim if I took it in for tires or something?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
of course, when we do get it, things will change from "we don't have one" to "this isn't exactly what I wanted". ?
No doubt. I Will say its not really what I would want, but its better than what we currently have!

Is it an update that the dealer would already have for a Premium trim if I took it in for tires or something?
No. Dealers won't update your car just because a newer version is out. Only if there is an issue you are having that is documented to be fixed in the new version.

You may get lucky and get a service rep that will attempt it, But its not guaranteed. I've never had a dealer do an update without a TSB and verify the issue they need to fix.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Correct. When @narmstrong79 got into my car over the weekend and saw it he said "what is that?!" He doesn't have it yet in his Select, but I do have the higher software version that came shipped with my Mach-E (including BlueCruise).

Kwar0107

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
So I've heard a bunch about this issue and have it myself on my GT. I was doing some backroading this afternoon and noticed the power meter in the bottom left displays a limit once you get up to higher speeds which is reducing current output even at full throttle.

I know this has been beat up in other threads but wanted to post this video for others to see how the actual issue manifests.

Is this a software limitation? Can the motors not accept full current above x rpm?

Just an interesting observation, have others seen this power limit kicking down when accelerating up higher speeds?

I hadn't seen anyone else post a video so wanted to post this one. I do not believe it was an issue with the battery being too hot as I had barely been driving hard and as far as I could tell the battery cooling wasn't even on. Heard no fan or AC compressor (HVAC was off).

I will do more testing.

Last note - this car has the latest update for the PCM and both motors. I ran the update on 9/18 so unless one came out this week it is latest.

You have to remember with electric motors, you are basically in a konigseg that can spin tires at 70 mph. This is likely a safety measure to prevent people from doing 180s on the highway after mashing the pedal. With ICE the torque simply isn't there to get away with pedal mashing but electric cars are a whole other story. If you have ever done rc racing (shout out to apex raceway in TN where I can be found), when at half throttle on a straight and you mash the gas you will likely spin the car.

All that said yes this is HIGHLY LIKELY to be a software controlled mechanism that can be tuned with future updates

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Correct. When @narmstrong79 got into my car over the weekend and saw it he said "what is that?!" He doesn't have it yet in his Select, but I do have the higher software version that came shipped with my Mach-E (including BlueCruise).
Not just the little lightning bolt power meter either. The graphics and font on your GT instrument cluster display we're slightly different. Almost more industrial and less soft is the best way I can describe the difference. I did not notice much change in the center console display though.
Sponsored

Last edited: