Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
I don’t have any objections to what you’ve said my friend.
That's cool. And I got your point about SUVs too.?

Just to bring it back around to my original point (while being careful not to use the word "performance" this time :)), as we head into the EV era, we are going to see the high output RWD vehicle fade away. The entry level configurations will typically still be RWD, but above that, multi-motor AWD is going to be the way to go.

One positive side effect of this is that some of today's FWD econoboxes could be tomorrow's RWD econoboxes. Ford and the Big Three in general are out of the game for the foreseeable future, but I could get behind cheap RWD daily driver from another company. Hopefully small passenger cars don't go completely extinct before this possibility has the chance to materialize.
Sponsored

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I didn't have a whole lot of time and I mainly tested on some back to back speed bumps. My friend and I both could only notice a small difference there, so little that we had to double check that magneride was actually on our demo car. Is that not good enough of a test?

Regardless, I'm almost kinda happier this way? Since I didn't need to spend $5k on basically just magneride, since I don't care for anything else in the PE.

But yes on the Mustang GT it's tied with drive modes, same with the GT PE.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
[
That's cool. And I got your point about SUVs too.?

Just to bring it back around to my original point (while being careful not to use the word "performance" this time :)), as we head into the EV era, we are going to see the high output RWD vehicle fade away. The entry level configurations will typically still be RWD, but above that, multi-motor AWD is going to be the way to go.

One positive side effect of this is that some of today's FWD econoboxes could be tomorrow's RWD econoboxes. Ford and the Big Three in general are out of the game for the foreseeable future, but I could get behind cheap RWD daily driver from another company. Hopefully small passenger cars don't go completely extinct before this possibility has the chance to materialize.
The days of personal vehicles overall are numbered. Autonomous ride hailing/sharing is the future. Personal vehicles will become luxury items once again. Will smaller vehicles survive? We’ll see.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
"It probably seems harsh but for the price point of the GTPE a manual passenger seat is just unacceptable to me so I will just walk away if it turns out to have one as I have already had my fill of fords bean counting, for others it will be no dig deal which is fine as if I don't purchase it then there will be a GTPE sitting on a dealers lot ready for someone else."

I think you shouldn't get the GTPE...it would be a waste on someone who thinks a manual passenger seat is a dealbreaker. The whole point of any performance car is max power-to-weight ratio. If I could've ordered my GTPE with manual passenger AND driver's seats, I would have. Powered seats add 30 pounds PER SEAT! That's why I also ordered it without the glass roof...added weight hurts performance. If you think 30 pounds won't make a difference, be aware that Mazda paid its engineers extra to eliminate GRAMS of weight. Ford Performance wasn't "bean counting"...they're treating the Mach-E GTPE as a race car...weight hampers performance.

Last edited:

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Saw the video

I have an orange GTPE on order. Can’t wait until it’s in my garage.

It’s going to be my quick daily driver. A Mustang with a back seat, a trunk and doesn’t need premium gas? I’m in! But it’s still not a performance car.
"But it's still not a performance car"??? When, exactly, did you test drive the GTPE? Doesn't look like a performance car?...ever see a Mini-Cooper Works car? It's not a V8 fastback? Ever see any WRC cars (4-cylinder hatchbacks all). Having never driven one, what, exactly, tells you that it's not a performance car? I'm curious.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
"It probably seems harsh but for the price point of the GTPE a manual passenger seat is just unacceptable to me so I will just walk away if it turns out to have one as I have already had my fill of fords bean counting, for others it will be no dig deal which is fine as if I don't purchase it then there will be a GTPE sitting on a dealers lot ready for someone else."

I think you shouldn't get the GTPE...it would be a waste on someone who thinks a manual passenger seat is a dealbreaker. The whole point of any performance car is max power-to-weight ratio. If I could've ordered my GTPE with manual passenger AND driver's seats, I would have. Powered seats add 30 pounds PER SEAT! That's why I also ordered it without the glass roof...added weight hurts performance. If you think 30 pounds won't make a difference, be aware that Mazda paid its engineers extra to eliminate GRAMS of weight. Ford Performance wasn't "bean counting"...they're treating the Mach-E GTPE as a race car...weight hampers performance.
With a mechanical passenger seat, I just know that when I want to move it back, I can just reach over and pull the lever underneath and quickly slide it back. If the passenger seat is motorized, I'd have to get out of my seat and walk around to the other side of the car to open the door and fiddle with the controls.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"But it's still not a performance car"??? When, exactly, did you test drive the GTPE? Doesn't look like a performance car?...ever see a Mini-Cooper Works car? It's not a V8 fastback? Ever see any WRC cars (4-cylinder hatchbacks all). Having never driven one, what, exactly, tells you that it's not a performance car? I'm curious.
Did you really offer up two small, light literal race cars to justify how a 5000lb car with a 124 MPH top speed is a performance vehicle???

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
Did you really offer up two small, light literal race cars to justify how a 5000lb car with a 124 MPH top speed is a performance vehicle???
The SCCA is most likely going to put the Mach-E into the SS "superstock" class for autocross, which is the highest classification there is for stock cars (all of the Teslas are in this class). Regular Corvettes are in B-Stock, higher models in A-Stock and the Corvette ZR1 is in the SS class. What do they know, that you don't? Modified EVs are going into the new EVX class, for EVs only, due to their huge performance advantage (AWD and instant torque).

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The SCCA is most likely going to put the Mach-E into the SS "superstock" class for autocross, which is the highest classification there is for stock cars (all of the Teslas are in this class). Regular Corvettes are in B-Stock, higher models in A-Stock and the Corvette ZR1 is in the SS class. What do they know, that you don't? Modified EVs are going into the new EVX class, for EVs only, due to their huge performance advantage (AWD and instant torque).
The USLMRA races lawn mowers. Performance vehicle???

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
The days of personal vehicles overall are numbered. Autonomous ride hailing/sharing is the future. Personal vehicles will become luxury items once again. Will smaller vehicles survive? We’ll see.
Autonomy will eventually change the landscape, but it's going to take some time. There are already small RWD EVs like the VW ID.3 and Honda E. They aren't sold in the US, but there may yet be a market for vehicles like them here. Products like the Bolt, Leaf, and Ioniq - which are sold in the US, but which are build on legacy FWD platforms - could get a reprieve on a more modern architecture over the next few years as EV production costs come down.

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Regarding autonomy, I think r2com is missing what is the biggest point of getting the 360 camera packgage: self driving. The 360 view and park assist is nice, but the biggest selling point to me is the ability to add BlueCruise. As this will be my commute vehicle, mostly freeway, sign me up.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
The USLMRA races lawn mowers. Performance vehicle???
Have you ever driven a racing lawnmower? Any racing vehicle, of any sort, ever? I've been racing cars/motorcycles continuously since the age of 7 (track record at the age of 9)...and I'm still racing at the age of 71. There are many, many forms of performance vehicles, and all are a rush to drive. A change of attitude is all that's needed, here.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you ever driven a racing lawnmower? Any racing vehicle, of any sort, ever? I've been racing cars/motorcycles continuously since the age of 7 (track record at the age of 9)...and I'm still racing at the age of 71. There are many, many forms of performance vehicles, and all are a rush to drive. A change of attitude is all that's needed, here.
OR…

You can learn what motorsport is, since you say you’ve been in it for 64 years, and comprehend that everything involved in motorsport isn’t necessarily a performance vehicle. Then to really drive it home you can stop confusing race cars with street cars. Real racers don’t get that mixed up.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Country flag
OR…

You can learn what motorsport is, since you say you’ve been in it for 64 years, and comprehend that everything involved in motorsport isn’t necessarily a performance vehicle. Then to really drive it home you can stop confusing race cars with street cars. Real racers don’t get that mixed up.
You didn't answer my question...have you ever raced anything?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GT / GT Performance: Motors, Suspension and Other Differences – Discussion Studio_20170819_181833

OR…

You didn't answer the question...any race experience??? I guess I'm not a real racer...this is a street car. I'll put a race car shot in next time...
Sponsored