Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
Obviously this is a thought that is jumping the gun by a lot, but is there ever a thought or has there been talks of performance upgrades for these vehicles. I know Tesla has some aftermarket (some hacks), and some tesla performance upgrades for tuning. I know there are suspension, brakes, etc.
Sponsored

Psalm139

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Abarth 124
Country flag
I haven't seen ANYTHING about modding the GT but theoretically it could be done.
Modding an electric can be a little questionable. Tesla locks out modded vehicles from the super charger network and they lose their warranty. That is why hardly any of them have ECU changes. I also wouldn't want to lose a warranty on these early electrics. All signs show that these early cars are trying new things and subject to some major changes.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Probably the biggest (and safest) gains would come from weight reduction - this is a fat pig! Carbon fiber hood, rear seat delete, lightweight seats, etc.

If you want to go nuts, there are a lot of high power, high efficiency power electronic options out there - but they are $$$$.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Obviously this is a thought that is jumping the gun by a lot, but is there ever a thought or has there been talks of performance upgrades for these vehicles. I know Tesla has some aftermarket (some hacks), and some tesla performance upgrades for tuning. I know there are suspension, brakes, etc.
Technically the combined output of both motors is around 562hp so if there are no battery limitations then it should be possible to increase the power significantly, so maybe in time this is something ford performance can offer similar to the various power upgrades they have offered for ICE vehicles over the years.

One big advantage of a BEV is there is no need to have to worry about needing to get any form of carb certification so should simply the process when it comes to requiring the need to use different parts to improve performance.

Also if Ford in the future does some form of higher power shelby derivative, any upgraded performance orientated parts so could probably be retro fitted to an existing mach-e with ease.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Question...if they start unlocking the battery reserve, does that increase voltage as well allowing for power increase?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Question...if they start unlocking the battery reserve, does that increase voltage as well allowing for power increase?
If they raised the maximum SOC from, say, 100% to 104%, then yes, at that 104% value you'd have about 4% more voltage, and close to 4% more power. So not much, but it would help at the drag strip.

OP
OP
jdunc87

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
Technically the combined output of both motors is around 562hp so if there are no battery limitations then it should be possible to increase the power significantly, so maybe in time this is something ford performance can offer similar to the various power upgrades they have offered for ICE vehicles over the years.

One big advantage of a BEV is there is no need to have to worry about needing to get any form of carb certification so should simply the process when it comes to requiring the need to use different parts to improve performance.

Also if Ford in the future does some form of higher power shelby derivative, any upgraded performance orientated parts so could probably be retro fitted to an existing mach-e with ease.
this is what i thought.. ford has their own performance division.. Telsa essentially doesnt. They could easily capitilize on it

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
If they raised the maximum SOC from, say, 100% to 104%, then yes, at that 104% value you'd have about 4% more voltage, and close to 4% more power. So not much, but it would help at the drag strip.
From what I've read 100% SOC is about 98% actual so you only have 2% buffer there so you couldn't raise it much. There's a much larger buffer on the low end of the pack. Now I can't find where I read this so I could be wrong or what I read could be wrong.

I could see them offering some suspension upgrades possibly but lets be honest how many people would buy them... enough to make them worth the engineering costs?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I haven't seen ANYTHING about modding the GT but theoretically it could be done.
Modding an electric can be a little questionable. Tesla locks out modded vehicles from the super charger network and they lose their warranty. That is why hardly any of them have ECU changes. I also wouldn't want to lose a warranty on these early electrics. All signs show that these early cars are trying new things and subject to some major changes.
In my current car with a bulletproof drivetrain, I had no concerns tuning it and voiding warranty.

On the Mach E, I would only be interested if it’s an upgrade from Ford that keeps your warranty.

Having to replace the battery if you kill it in a few years paying out of pocket would suck.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
From what I've read 100% SOC is about 98% actual so you only have 2% buffer there so you couldn't raise it much. There's a much larger buffer on the low end of the pack. Now I can't find where I read this so I could be wrong or what I read could be wrong.
On the ER battery, 100% SOC on the car is 95.5% on the battery, and 0% on the car is 5.5% on the battery, so the buffer is split close to 50/50 between the upper and lower end (these are from my own measurements of the battery during operation and charging, and a little curve fitting).

So still not much headroom, but there is a little that could be opened up.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/driving-dynamics-and-charging-data-files.8473/

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
On the ER battery, 100% SOC on the car is 95.5% on the battery, and 0% on the car is 5.5% on the battery, so the buffer is split close to 50/50 between the upper and lower end (these are from my own measurements of the battery during operation and charging, and a little curve fitting).

So still not much headroom, but there is a little that could be opened up.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/driving-dynamics-and-charging-data-files.8473/
Well now that we are expecting 3kWh greater usable (same pack) in the 2022MY from rumors I wonder which end that will be coming on.

revmatchtv

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I spoke with Shelby American a couple months ago at SEMA. They said they are working on some power updates, but I could not pin them down to anything specific. The rep just hinted and smiled when I asked if they would unlock more power. We'll have to wait and see, but it might be a while - or it might not come to pass for current vehicles as there are some inherent design limitations.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
The bigger issue with performance is battery cooling. I'd like to see an option where one could pre-cool the battery before a hard run, and have max cooling during/after the run. Power availability isn't the problem as much as heat dissipation.

Last edited:

My3rdPonyCar

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Focus ST, 2013 Ford Escape
Country flag
I saw that Steeda has a rear sway bar for the Mach E. They make great parts; I have many of their products on my Focus ST, including the rear sway bar upgrade. I’m planning on adding the Steeda sway bar to my MME GT as well.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I spoke with Shelby American a couple months ago at SEMA. They said they are working on some power updates, but I could not pin them down to anything specific. The rep just hinted and smiled when I asked if they would unlock more power. We'll have to wait and see, but it might be a while - or it might not come to pass for current vehicles as there are some inherent design limitations.
My body is ready. We need the 5 second limit changed or eliminated. This is unacceptable on a $65,000 vehicle 😭
Sponsored