sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
"Rattling" is really subjective. One person might get in a car and think it's falling apart, and another might not hear a thing. For what it's worth, your Mach-E will have a warranty which I assume would cover any objectionable rattles.
Also, Teslas are American cars, too. Might as well compare them to Nissans as well.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My wife's C-Max Energi had an annoying rattle that I eventually traced to a flip up cargo lid behind the HVB. I got it to quiet down by adding some foam weatherstrip tape to cushion the contact points.

My Focus Electric had an annoying rattle at the left rear shock tower. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the shock under warranty. Been rock solid ever since. My niece and brother also own a 2017 FFE. No rattles or squeaks anywhere. Very well built cars.

The MME I drove was very tight. Well, there was a loud noise but it was my wife's iPhone sliding across the rear seat when we took the first corner at irresponsible speeds. :)

Last edited:

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I've owned Chrysler, Chevy, Ford, Tesla - the only one that rattled was my Tesla. From model year 2005 to 2020.

The difference is when I took my Tesla in to get fix - because it rattled so bad - Tesla service told me there was nothing they could do after attempting to fix the same rattle for the 3rd time in the shop. They just said it is what it is. That is the price you pay when you go with a new car company. Or should I say, a technology company trying to building cars.

There is no amount of cool technology a car can have were a person will accept sitting in a car and it rattle like the dash is falling apart. It really just gives your "nice" $60,000 car a cheap $10,000 used car feeling.

That's my 2c!

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
So since this an EV do you guys think it will suffer the typical American car rattle Issue? And before you guys all flame me, don't tell me it's all B.S. I've always owned Japanese car. My friend has had either Euro or Japananese cars and he now has a 2020 Mustang GT and it rattles more than any other car he's owned and every every American rental I've owned rattled like crazy.
Great question and we are all hopeful that Ford's QA process will ensure rattle free drive. I did get a chance to do a 15 min ride alone which included being ridden over some bumpy roads. Maybe I was so at awe of the experience but the only two things I recall was the super quiet ride and the clear conversation with the Ford rep who was driving.

If this car build is anything close to my 2017 Ford Explorer, I think we will have little to be concerned of.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My wife's C-Max Energi had an annoying rattle that I eventually traced to a flip up cargo lid behind the HVB. I got it to quiet down by adding some foam weatherstrip tape to cushion th contact points.

My Focus Electeic had an annoying rattle at the left rear shock tower. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the shock under warranty. Been rock solid ever since. My niece and brother also own a 2017 FFE. No rattles or squeaks anywhere. Very well built cars.

The MME I drove was very tight. Well, there was a loud noise but it was my wife's iPhone sliding across the rear seat when we took the first corner at irresponsible speeds. :)
There was a TSB on that shock tower--seemed to be a common thing.

My C-Max also had the shock rattle.

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
I understand where you are coming from but have not heard/had any of these rattles from any of the American cars I have owned, leased or rented in the last 6ish years. (probably 6-8 different Fords +many others)

I do have some older cars that have been taken apart probably way more than I should have that do still have the a few rattles. Some of this is just being too lazy to fix them. :rolleyes: :D

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Time will tell on this one, but less parts = less rattles. However how about squeaks? Yes squeaks, and my LEAF which was made in 2018 (2018 model) had a common issue where the front hubs / brakes which would make squeaking noises when slow speed braking. Dealer fixed it and only because there was a TSB on it. Took them 3 hours to fix it and issue has not come back.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
BEV’s can have their own set of issues that creep up aside from any rattles. Those include high-pitch whines (from the motor), clicking sounds (from the reduction gear), and clunking. While they aren’t frequent, they do happen and they do drive owners just as crazy as any ICE rattle.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
BEV’s can have their own set of issues that creep up aside from any rattles. Those include high-pitch whines (from the motor), clicking sounds (from the reduction gear), and clunking. While they aren’t frequent, they do happen and they do drive owners just as crazy as any ICE rattle.
Yeah if I listen carefully regen in the Bolt sounds a lot like putting a manual trans in reverse. Doesn't drive me nuts, however, as the car is super quiet and that is only noticable if I listen for it.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have owned six Fords in the last 10 years. All were great cars. If their was a rattle FORD fixed it.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe you. I am nowhere near thinking of buying a Tesla. It's just a concern because looking even at the Hummer EV reveal (I know its a proto) All I could see was plastic everywhere. Even the floor was plastic no carpet or material was seen in that car. Just with time I'm think these EV's will almost be plastic everywhere and I'm wondering how these "plastic" EV's will hold up long term. Especially with our shitty Quebec roads that look like the U.S. invaded us.
They've tried in thje past.