Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have never used a fast charger capable of more then 50kw so I do not have an answer for that one and do not have any longer distance trips planned in the future as it seems like our houses are the place to be now during these corona times ...
But I am guessing the MachE will at first be throttled down to around 100kw charging speeds and then Ford will gradually crank that up as they get more cars on the road, this is what others are doing as well and Jaguar did too.
Why do you think the Mach E will be released with its fast charging throttled?
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Let's face it, all fast charging is throttled. You'll only see the highest charge rates during the first 10 minutes or less. After that it drops precipitously depending on the manufacturer. So I kind of laugh at these charge rates, since any owner of a BEV knows they don't mean what non-owners think they mean. I learned that lesson as a Tesla owner.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I've been looking online at the I-Paces around Atlanta. There appears to be some decent discounts but they're optioned weird. If you want leather or 20" rims then you can get one of the bottom end cars. If you're like me and want both then the price goes up about $10k. One car takes the cake for oddness - a heated steering wheel (part of the cold weather package) but no heated seats. Not that those options are that important in the south, but that's a combination that just shouldn't exist.

The Mach-E would be my first car without leather seats in almost 20 years. I like leather, and the fake leather is one of the few things I really don't like about the Mach-E. If I am willing to accept a Mach-E without leather though why am I so opposed to an I-Pace without leather? It's not rational. I guess I have to decide if I'd rather shell out the extra cash, stick (literally) to fake leather seats, or look like a dweeb rolling on minivan tires in an otherwise cool looking I-Pace.

You're probably thinking I should just buy a car with leather and buy aftermarket wheels, but that will be harder to get by the wife. If I shell out an extra $10k up front for the car my wife will just roll her eyes at me. If I want to spend $3k on a new set of wheels after buying a new I-Pace she won't be so agreeable. "You paid how much for a car, and now you need new wheels & tires?" I'd probably have to wait until I burnt thru the OEM tires - which will probably take 2-3 years because I think the 18" rims come with some sort of crappy low rolling resistant tires which are likely impervious to wear and fun.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is odd. In NY all the cars were pretty well optioned out. I don’t recall one that didn’t have leather. The 2019 I bought had almost every option except a heads up display and 1 or 2 minor things.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Only one S has leather on the lots here. The most expensive S has an $82k MSRP and still somehow has both fake leather and 18" rims - which is roughly the same MSRP as the only SE with 22" rims. There's a 2019 HSE, but it's 209 miles away. Or maybe it's 245 miles away - it shows up on 2 dealers' websites. I'd have to find some charging options to get that home, especially with those hungry 22" rims running at 80 mph. I might have to see how desperate they are to unload it.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think the I-Pace comes with fake leather. There are 4 versions of the seats, 3 of which were leather:
* Grained leather sports seats
* Windsor leather sports seats
* Windsor leather performance seats

The only other offering is the textile sports seats. So the 3 above are all true leather, just different grades. Frankly my wife and I saw little difference between the first two. My car came with the grained leather and a leather care brochure was attached to the seats along with a leather care product. We didn’t see the third version, but the seats we got are extremely comfortable.

Interestingly the textile seats were the most expensive of the 4 seat options. When I bought my Tesla, textile seating was the cheapest. Go figure.

Last edited:

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don’t think the I-Pace comes with fake leather. There are 4 versions of the seats, 3 of which were leather:

The S comes standard with Luxtec which is a fake leather. Luxtec isn't available on the SE or HSE.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s interesting, I didn’t realize that. There were many S versions where I am and I never saw one with those base seats, all had some version of real leather. Bizarre.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm test driving a couple I-Paces tomorrow at the nearest dealer. I get the choice of leather + 18" rims or fake leather + 20" rims. If I decide I really need leather & 20" rims I'll have to drive a little further.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’ll find the ride a little softer on the 18s, but the 20s do look better and with pressure set to ‘light load’ and 37lbs all around, the ride is very nice!

You may find the faux leather is fine. I bought the Tesla with textile seating and actually preferred the feel over the leather they were offering. A week in to ownership, I can tell you the I-Pace is a great car, it really is. Good luck!

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
That is what BEV manufacturers do when they release brand new cars as they are still getting experience with the real world charging scenarios that customers are doing upon release and they will gradually throttle up their maximum charge allowances via software updates. Manufacturers do collect data somehow or another from customer cars and then make analyses then decide from there on how and when to up the charge limit.
It is stated that the MachE will charge at a max of 150kw, I do not expect this to be for the initial batch of cars going to customers and it may even be many months later that this speed can be expected. The 150kw limit is the hardware limit however so it will not be going past that.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
That is what BEV manufacturers do when they release brand new cars as they are still getting experience with the real world charging scenarios that customers are doing upon release and they will gradually throttle up their maximum charge allowances via software updates. Manufacturers do collect data somehow or another from customer cars and then make analyses then decide from there on how and when to up the charge limit.
It is stated that the MachE will charge at a max of 150kw, I do not expect this to be for the initial batch of cars going to customers and it may even be many months later that this speed can be expected. The 150kw limit is the hardware limit however so it will not be going past that.
What is the hardware limit in the Mach E for 150kW?

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach e vs. I-Pace 20200522_154145 (2)

I guess I'm cancelling my Mach-E reservation. Last night I got the only I-Pace S for sale in the Atlanta area with leather. The 20" wheels shown were swapped from a more expensive I-Pace in inventory that I also drove but didn't have leather. Those wheels are a $3600 option that I got for free. So over $5k below MSRP + 0% interest + sweet free $3600 wheels = cancelled Mach-E reservation.

The 18" wheels drove better than I thought they would, but they still made the car feel floaty. There's a lot of sidewall on those 18" rims. The 20" wheels feel a lot better to me, but I'm coming from an X1 with very low profile tires on a staggered 19" wheel setup so I'm accustomed to a firmer ride. My first impression of the fake leather was very good. It looks and feels very good, but half a mile down the road it was already starting to get noticeably warmer than the leather. The fake leather seats were also mostly manual. I mean come on Jaguar, a car with an $80k list price shouldn't have manual seats. Although I guess that car isn't $80k anymore because I got its wheels.

Oh, and my car insurance went up less than $30 every 6 months with the I-Pace replacing my 2014 X1.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congrats Scufflegrit, you're going to love the ride. I've had mine about a week and couldn't be happier. You've got exactly the color & wheels I've got. She's a looker!!!
Sponsored